2008 Samsung DLP's Discussion (HLxxA650/A750) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking everywhere and stil no specs. I cant believe they dont put them in the manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry View Post

I am looking everywhere and stil no specs. I cant believe they dont put them in the manual.

Does seem strange that Samsung doesn't even list the HL61A750 on their website yet (even though it's for sale now at CC), nor do they list the contrast ratio and other specs for the HL61A650 which they are showing as "NEW".
Old 03-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

Does seem strange that Samsung doesn't even list the HL61A750 on their website yet (even though it's for sale now at CC), nor do they list the contrast ratio and other specs for the HL61A650 which they are showing as "NEW".

That is whats scaring me. Even the pdf manual is basically weight and size on the technical specs. Im guessing this is pretty much last years model.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With the set already on the market and no specs released, I'd be concerned as well. But a hearty THANK YOU to all the guinea pigs out there. May you inherit the earth.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:21 AM

Has anyone seen a A650 in store yet?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe these models are so amazing they dont want to post specs or they will be stuck with all last years model

or not
Old 03-21-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Maybe these models are so amazing they dont want to post specs or they will be stuck with all last years model

or not

i'm guessing that its not a major jump this year. much like the sony a2000 and a2020 was but a little bigger difference than that.

samsung did say about 40% brighter dunno if tha will make it equa to the lamp based ones yet or not though, but maybe pretty close. also i would guess they may have fixed some of the problems with last years model, that and added the 67 inch set. i'm holding out til summer to buy a set anyays. so far i'm going for the 67 inch set, but waiting to see what mits will price laser sets first. if out of reach then i'm going to hurry and gab me a samsung 67 inch led set within a heartbeat
Old 03-21-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnola View Post

i'm guessing that its not a major jump this year. much like the sony a2000 and a2020 was but a little bigger difference than that.

samsung did say about 40% brighter dunno if tha will make it equa to the lamp based ones yet or not though, but maybe pretty close. also i would guess they may have fixed some of the problems with last years model, that and added the 67 inch set. i'm holding out til summer to buy a set anyays. so far i'm going for the 67 inch set, but waiting to see what mits will price laser sets first. if out of reach then i'm going to hurry and gab me a samsung 67 inch led set within a heartbeat

Well I hope you are wrong.....I would think they would have had to fix the bowing issues with the last models....
Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrock22 View Post

Well I hope you are wrong.....I would think they would have had to fix the bowing issues with the last models....

i hope they did fix that, i didnt say they wouldnt cause as of now th 67 inch is my number one tv choice, so far.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

I had to call Samsung and I asked them again about the specs. I am returning a 76 series so I had to call them anyway. This guy rattled off almost everything about the set except the contrast ratio. I asked him how a TV is shipping and nobody has the contrast ratio?

Im starting to get really nervous about this now. Judging from the pics its at least what last years was.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:41 PM

Liked: 12
its the same price or cheaper then last year. I doubt there is much difference and the specs wont go down.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
[quote=jhferry;13439927] This guy rattled off almost everything about the set except the contrast ratio.

Did you ask him about DC 4?

Dave

Old 03-21-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:

I had to call Samsung and I asked them again about the specs. I am returning a 76 series so I had to call them anyway. This guy rattled off almost everything about the set except the contrast ratio. I asked him how a TV is shipping and nobody has the contrast ratio?

Im starting to get really nervous about this now. Judging from the pics its at least what last years was.

What were the specs that he did "rattle off"? What did he reply when you asked him how it could ship w/o knowing the contrast ratio?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

I have asked about the DC4, they dont know what that is...

The specs he rattled off were similar to the CC ad, or the specs already on the site.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks for the reply...

Dave

Old 03-21-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

All this mystery.....phhhht.

If I were betting, I'd bet that not only does it NOT contain any DC4 thingamachip, but that the DC4 is highly overrated to begin with.

Kinda like the Fox and the Grapes story, eh?

Seriously though, I would have expected Sammy to shout it from the mountaintops if the set was all that much better. Smart money would bet on a slight improvement at best.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:31 PM

I plan on putting this is a cabinet. Can anyone confirm if the dimensions are true to the information provided? The specs I have are 54.8 x 37.9 x 15.5. Does this height measurement measure from the top of the set to the bottom of the footing, or just to the bottom of the screen?
Old 03-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

At this point I would not trust any of the specs until Samsung updates those PDF's

The who TBD on all the specs is odd. Why even post it?

You mean to tell me they can build them, ship them, put them on the site but the specs are not available yet?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:02 PM

[quote=ztkp01;13429717]Ok... I've got some quick and dirty pictures:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2yxorch&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=28re3iq&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30lfgwk&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=141tfcz&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=w82a2a&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=312bqpv&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2z9ds2q&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33ombe1&s=3[/QUOTE

Based on the pictures, these sets seem to have poor black levels again. You can still see the glow around the arena when compared to the benzel of the TV. Considering that the TV is not in a completely dark room, this is probably not a good sign. Looks like it is probably a better deal to get the 2007 models since they will be significantly cheaper at this moment and there does not seem to be much improvement in either contrast or black level from what I can see.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Or stick to the bulb sets like me...

2007 bulb set is out due to the cab design...
Old 03-21-2008, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by displaytechfan View Post

...Based on the pictures, these sets seem to have poor black levels again. You can still see the glow around the arena when compared to the benzel of the TV....

Maybe the contrast on my computer screen isn't as good as yours or maybe my standards are lower, but some of those blacks sure look close to the bezel color to me. As a matter of fact the whole thing looks really good to me.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:01 PM

for bulb sets, if you see the rainbow effect is it enough where you can return the TV?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:

for bulb sets, if you see the rainbow effect is it enough where you can return the TV?

No, seeing a rainbow is just like burn-in on a plasma. Your problem and not a defect of the product. The only way you could return it would be if the store offered a worry-free period. I believe that Circuit City offers that for 30 days for any product. Return for any reason. But if you start seeing a rainbow nine months later, sorry.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:31 PM

I work at BB although not in the home theater department. I too have been eagerly awaiting the A750 (61 or 67 inch). I really didnt like the cheap flimsy top panel the older model had. I have been bugging the HT supervisor about the A750 for weeks now. Apparantly we now have at least 2 in stock in the warehouse that i visually verified myself. Too high in the racks to take a proper look. The HT supe says that he doesnt have the sku's for the tvs yet so he doesnt know the specs. As soon as the sku's are available he will begin selling them and provide me with the CT as well as my employee discount price. Being that Sunday is Easter and our store is closed that day there may be some kind of thing in the ad about the new models. I havent gotten a sneek peek at the ad, and though it usually pops up online it hasnt this week which is unusual (probably due again to Easter). We are having a meeting tomorrow morning at 7am and it involves the entire store so i may have more info in that respect. I know its not alot of info but its better than nothing.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:14 AM

Besides the smiley issue, I really need to know if they improved the bad SSE that existed on the previous generation sets(bulb and LED). I watch a lot of hockey and even when the sets were taken out of torch mode it was really distracting.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:11 AM

I never saw SSE all that much on the previous sets. Now the a3000 that is another story I didn't get one because it did not matter how I tweaked it the SSE was very distracting to me. I am however still kicking myself for waiting for the XBR5 and not just getting a 70" XBR2 when I had the chance... I was thinking that waiting on 1080p/24 would be the way to go.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:08 AM

What is SSE?
Old 03-22-2008, 09:17 AM

Silk Screen Effect
Old 03-22-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:

What is SSE?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_screen_effect
Old 03-22-2008, 09:19 AM

To me it gives the appearance of looking through frosted glass. My CRT RP has very minimal SSE but the digital RP sets to me are worse. I am hoping for lower gain screens to minimize the effect. One of the worst was the Toshiba from last year.