Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 5059 Old 03-23-2008, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBOMB View Post

calm down fellas, seriously this is not a discontinued item. i know a thing or two since i work at best buy and i have access to our inventory so i can put some of your worries to rest. Although the 61A750 did not show a street date which is usual for most of our stock it did have another listing saying we will be getting our major shipments march 30th. Mind you we are NOT a Magnolia store. what is a Magnolia store? they are the steroid version of Best Buy with like 4x the models of tvs so anything over 61 inches they have there. I bought the 61 cuz i know the HT guy and they made an exception for me. Seriously, i had to do some ninja stuff just to get the SKU of an item that we dont even sell officially yet. We will be selling the 61a750 for $2,399 and a 4 year Best Buy PSP (service plan) will cost you $350. I have tested this tv with the following bluray movies using a cheap Dynex hdmi cable. Chicken Little, Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix, The Fifth Element Remastered Version. Im kind of new to the whole widescreen TV thing so when watching standard DirecTV (i dont have the HD reciever) i have to switch the screen to 4:3. If you watch the movies from at least 4 feet away you dont seem to notice the grain. Again this isnt that 120hz hdmi that ppl are touting. Its the cheap Best Buy brand cable. In my manual it says PC Resolution 1920 X 1080 @ 60hz. It does a side by side with the 67a750 and it has the same resolution. I went from top to bottom of the manual and i dont know of a way to see what chip its using or anything like that so if anyone knows post it cuz i check this site like 10 times a day.

This is well appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5059 Old 03-23-2008, 06:38 PM

Big river now shows the 67 , and only asking a few dollars more than the 61 ! Delayed shipping though , but one hell of a price
post #723 of 5059 Old 03-23-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:

calm down fellas, seriously this is not a discontinued item. i know a thing or two since i work at best buy and i have access to our inventory so i can put some of your worries to rest. Although the 61A750 did not show a street date which is usual for most of our stock it did have another listing saying we will be getting our major shipments march 30th. Mind you we are NOT a Magnolia store. what is a Magnolia store? they are the steroid version of Best Buy with like 4x the models of tvs so anything over 61 inches they have there. I bought the 61 cuz i know the HT guy and they made an exception for me. Seriously, i had to do some ninja stuff just to get the SKU of an item that we dont even sell officially yet. We will be selling the 61a750 for $2,399 and a 4 year Best Buy PSP (service plan) will cost you $350. I have tested this tv with the following bluray movies using a cheap Dynex hdmi cable. Chicken Little, Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix, The Fifth Element Remastered Version. Im kind of new to the whole widescreen TV thing so when watching standard DirecTV (i dont have the HD reciever) i have to switch the screen to 4:3. If you watch the movies from at least 4 feet away you dont seem to notice the grain. Again this isnt that 120hz hdmi that ppl are touting. Its the cheap Best Buy brand cable. In my manual it says PC Resolution 1920 X 1080 @ 60hz. It does a side by side with the 67a750 and it has the same resolution. I went from top to bottom of the manual and i dont know of a way to see what chip its using or anything like that so if anyone knows post it cuz i check this site like 10 times a day.

You work at a BB ??? Not sure what market your in but BBs in the Tampa market sell 73 inch Mitsu's as well as all Samsung DLPs in the main store ....not in Magnolia. Also warranty for any TV costing $2400 cost $450 for 4yrs not $350. Also Magnolia sells many TVs under 61inches , they are LCDs and Plasmas , the only DLPs sold in Magnolia are the diamond series Mitsu's. Not sure if you have ever been to a Magnolia store where you are but ive been to many in my area and they are all as mentioned.
post #724 of 5059 Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 PM

You don't have to do any ninja stuff to find a SKU of a product we don't have in stock yet just look in RSS I assume you know how to use the system as you said you work at BB. As far as the dynex cables go they are not gonna make your picture more or less grainy, cables for the most part are gonna be the same unless you fall into that group of people that think Monster cables are the greatest... Make sure you turn off extra processing etc on the tv itself and do some tweaking of it first to see if the picture improves.
post #725 of 5059 Old 03-23-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Quest View Post

Big river now shows the 67 , and only asking a few dollars more than the 61 ! Delayed shipping though , but one hell of a price

I'm having trouble comprehending the size of a 67" diagonal screen. Good think I just bought that 77" wide TV stand from IKEA. Might have to go for the 67" over the 61" after all.
post #726 of 5059 Old 03-23-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergadgett View Post

I'm having trouble comprehending the size of a 67" diagonal screen. Good think I just bought that 77" wide TV stand from IKEA. Might have to go for the 67" over the 61" after all.

Yes id say it woulnt make much sense not to spend an extra buck and a half for the 67 unless space or distance is an issue. Im gonna wait and see if they have a hard date tomorrow as far as when it will ship. Thats a great price for a 67 , even if its the same technology as last years LED.
post #727 of 5059 Old 03-23-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:

how can i help you guys? any way i can find out a listing of the contrast ratio, on whether it has Dark Chip 4 and what kind of pulldown it has? Id love to help out anyone who has any questions about this television.

could you test the pc connection since it says it can do 1080p in 1920x1080 . just wondering how ell and if much of an issue with overscan
post #728 of 5059 Old 03-23-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:

Yes id say it woulnt make much sense not to spend an extra buck and a half for the 67 unless space or distance is an issue. Im gonna wait and see if they have a hard date tomorrow as far as when it will ship. Thats a great price for a 67 , even if its the same technology as last years LED.

it is supposed to be 40% brighter atleast guess thats why they did the 67inch
post #729 of 5059 Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 PM

There's something weird about my tv. It's hard to describe... the picture quality is great, but it seems like the screen itself is made up of a bunch of tiny rainbow colored dots all across. My model is the HLT5087s. The "dots" are fixed in position but glimmer as you move your view around. It can get pretty annoying...

Is this the rainbow effect? I wonder if anyone knows what this is... it would be great if there was a collection of pictures showing what different screen problems look like so I could point it out.

Thanks for any insight on this.
post #730 of 5059 Old 03-23-2008, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepiano View Post

There's something weird about my tv. It's hard to describe... the picture quality is great, but it seems like the screen itself is made up of a bunch of tiny rainbow colored dots all across. My model is the HLT5087s. The "dots" are fixed in position but glimmer as you move your view around. It can get pretty annoying...

Is this the rainbow effect? I wonder if anyone knows what this is... it would be great if there was a collection of pictures showing what different screen problems look like so I could point it out.

Thanks for any insight on this.

Sounds like silk screen effect (SSE). Most rptv sets have this due to the material used for the screen, the purpose of which is usually to make the set brighter and widen the viewing angle.
post #731 of 5059 Old 03-23-2008, 11:58 PM

yeah i dont count the Mitsu's cuz they suck royally. I was at the magnolia store when i checked how much the 4 year plan is for it at normal cost and it said 350. employee discount is 279 for the 4 year plan. at our store we do carry dlp but it maxes out at 61 for samsung and whatever 70+ inch those mitsu's are. the local magnolia store had like 8 dlp sets standing out, alot were the 87s ones. im guessing it was to showcase the stands or something.
post #732 of 5059 Old 03-24-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedbeyond View Post

You don't have to do any ninja stuff to find a SKU of a product we don't have in stock yet just look in RSS I assume you know how to use the system as you said you work at BB. As far as the dynex cables go they are not gonna make your picture more or less grainy, cables for the most part are gonna be the same unless you fall into that group of people that think Monster cables are the greatest... Make sure you turn off extra processing etc on the tv itself and do some tweaking of it first to see if the picture improves.

i would agree if you know the exact model number, in my case we had just finished our team meeting when one of the guys in inventory went and used features of RSS that i dont mess with as it is not what i use mainly. The Dynex cables as far as i know dont mention if they are 1.3 or not. I could care less if they can do 120hz but if with my discount i can get a 1.3 cable for $8 ill do it.
post #733 of 5059 Old 03-24-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:

You work at a BB ??? Not sure what market your in but BBs in the Tampa market sell 73 inch Mitsu's as well as all Samsung DLPs in the main store ....not in Magnolia. Also warranty for any TV costing $2400 cost $450 for 4yrs not $350. Also Magnolia sells many TVs under 61inches , they are LCDs and Plasmas , the only DLPs sold in Magnolia are the diamond series Mitsu's. Not sure if you have ever been to a Magnolia store where you are but ive been to many in my area and they are all as mentioned.

yes i had to go to a Magnolia to buy the stand for it (i went with the BB brand stand, Intuit or some crap like that). And it falls under the DUH category that Magnolia sells tvs under 61 inches. Magnolia BB's have a larger selection of televisions than regular ones. Our store will not be carrying the 67a750 nor will we be getting the diamond Mitsu's because we arent as big as they are. You are correct yet flawed in your pricing. Employees dont pay the 2400 and they also dont pay the 450 you claim or the 350 i claim. Any other BS you would like to call me on? Or would you like to school me in what i have been researching and bugging the HT guys for weeks.
post #734 of 5059 Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegow View Post

This is quite possible, but do we really know that the 650 sets are LED? I've read the press release several times and it really seems confusing. They only talk about LED specifically with respect to the 750 sets.

I don't really have room for a 61 inch set, which is the smallest 750 made, but I could certainly fit in a 56 inch 650.

Yea, I can't seem to figure if the new 650 series is LED also. I really like Samsung TV's (have one newer 32"LCD and a 4 yr old DLP) and wanted to get an LED set, but can't really go above 50-55" due to the size of my room. I too can not fit anything bigger than 56 inches(if that!).
post #735 of 5059 Old 03-24-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto5830 View Post

Yea, I can't seem to figure if the new 650 series is LED also. ...

My statement was made some time ago, and the 650s are now on the Samsung USA website. It doesn't specifically say "color wheel hot lamp" but if they were LED you can be sure Samsung would be crowing about long lamp life like they do on the 2007 LED sets.
post #736 of 5059 Old 03-24-2008, 01:53 PM

Liked: 12
the a650's are lamps and color wheels. The a750's are led's.
post #737 of 5059 Old 03-24-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
There is no such thing as a 120Hz HDMI cable, it's just marketing. By in large, a 2 year old unspec'ed $5 cable will carry a 120Hz 1080p signal just as well as those $300 Monster cables over anything but long distances--certainly anything under 8' or so. As I understand it, no consumer video source on the market today actually outputs a 120Hz signal (save maybe ultra high end gaming PC's? I don't follow that scene at all). 120Hz processing is 100% internal to the display. I don't even think the HDMI inputs on todays 120Hz displays (or the 1.3 spec in general?) are even spec'ed for that kind of bandwidth should such a source exist.
post #738 of 5059 Old 03-24-2008, 03:18 PM

I'm on the fence here trying to decide between a more expensive (and last year's technology) 6189 and a cheaper but newer technology (maybe) 61a750. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
post #739 of 5059 Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 PM
vsv
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferbradbest View Post

the a650's are lamps and color wheels. The a750's are led's.

A750 possible utilized new RGB LED - PT180 PhlatLight instead of PT120 used in 2007 models.
post #740 of 5059 Old 03-24-2008, 04:57 PM

CyberBOMB, may I ask a favor. Is there a chance I can get you to measure how far back from the front of the set you have to go till the width of the set is no more than 46-1/2". I have a built in entertainment center and I am trying to find out how far past the entertainment center will my set stick out. Thanks.
post #741 of 5059 Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuccinardi View Post

I plan on putting this is a cabinet. Can anyone confirm if the dimensions are true to the information provided? The specs I have are 54.8 x 37.9 x 15.5. Does this height measurement measure from the top of the set to the bottom of the footing, or just to the bottom of the screen?

The size is: 54 3/4" by 37 3/8" by 13 1/2.
post #742 of 5059 Old 03-24-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intersys View Post

I'm on the fence here trying to decide between a more expensive (and last year's technology) 6189 and a cheaper but newer technology (maybe) 61a750. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Looking at both of these units, I'm glad that I waited and got the HL61A750 model. Sure, I could have gotten a huge discount on the 87 one if I wanted but this one seems "nicer".
post #743 of 5059 Old 03-24-2008, 09:42 PM

I see... I researched it a bit and it definitely seems like the problem I have. Ive read that the best way to lighten it is to reduce the contrast. Is there any permanent fix for SSE or is it just an unavoidable con of owning a RP set?

Thanks for the help btw.
post #744 of 5059 Old 03-25-2008, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepiano View Post

I see... I researched it a bit and it definitely seems like the problem I have. Ive read that the best way to lighten it is to reduce the contrast. Is there any permanent fix for SSE or is it just an unavoidable con of owning a RP set?

Thanks for the help btw.

Adjusting contrast and brightness to proper levels will help, but it will never be invisible on a RPTV.
post #745 of 5059 Old 03-25-2008, 04:40 AM

Has anyone seen both the 7 series and 6 series? Any thoughts on the difference visually (since it seems the actual specs of these units are not being released yet).

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase the HL67A750 now or wait to see the HL72A650. I'd prefer the bigger size screen, but are there advantages other than the bulb replacement, in going with the LED?

Of course, one advantage is I would get my TV now, rather than June, which is the date I believe Samsung quoted in January.
post #746 of 5059 Old 03-25-2008, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Besides no bulb, there is also no spinning color wheel that can eventually fail. My 4.5 year old 61" DLP's color wheel has a really annoying high pitch whine, so I can't wait to replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRugby View Post

Has anyone seen both the 7 series and 6 series? Any thoughts on the difference visually (since it seems the actual specs of these units are not being released yet).

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase the HL67A750 now or wait to see the HL72A650. I'd prefer the bigger size screen, but are there advantages other than the bulb replacement, in going with the LED?

Of course, one advantage is I would get my TV now, rather than June, which is the date I believe Samsung quoted in January.

post #747 of 5059 Old 03-25-2008, 05:29 AM

Well I was at Circuit City in NJ and they didn't have any of the new Samsung DLPs on display. Then I went to the PA one and they didn't have anything either. I asked the sales rep to check on the status of the HL61A750 and HL67A750 and he said he had no idea when they would come in, but the entry was in their system.
post #748 of 5059 Old 03-25-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRugby View Post

In same boat here 67 or 72.
Better off wait a month for reviews of mysterious Samsung units released and Mitsu may announced their competing new line hopefully in May.
Couldn't wait to compare LED and Laser TV side by side. Few months wait, may prevent years of complains IMHO.
post #749 of 5059 Old 03-25-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_HiFi View Post

In same boat here 67 or 72.
Better off wait a month for reviews of mysterious Samsung units released and Mitsu may announced their competing new line hopefully in May.
Couldn't wait to compare LED and Laser TV side by side. Few months wait, may prevent years of complains IMHO.

Patience is a virtue, but not one I possess. Although, you are correct, worth it to wait to avoid years of regret.
post #750 of 5059 Old 03-25-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I can wait...No NFL till fall.

Plus, still a few months warranty left on my HL-N567W.

I can always hope it will blow between now and then, and I get some credit on a new unit...

Dave

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page