Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 5059 Old 04-03-2008, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahull View Post

For those interested the following 3 pages show the result after a minimal amount of calibration. Calman V2.1 & I1 Pro

Attachment 106600
Attachment 106601
Attachment 106602

Sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro View Post

Wow...How much tweaking did you have to do to get this? Was it in the service menu, or was this all with adjustments from the user menus?

Yes, please explain "a minimal amount of calibration" and let us know whether this was through CCA (or something else) in the service menu, or via user adjustments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 5059 Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7777 View Post

actually thats why I asked the question 650 vs 750. Best buy in my area is advertusing the 650 is 50,000 to 1.

I was at Best Buy today and they have the 650 listed 2,500:1
post #1353 of 5059 Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabney View Post

If the movie was filmed, it was shot at 24fps. When it is put on DVD or BD it should still be at 24frames and typical players will do 3:2 pulldown. That kind of give 24 frames, but not really. If your display accepts a 24p signal and has a refresh that is a multiple of 24 (like 120hz) it will do 5:5 and essentially each individual frame will be displayed over 5 cycles before changing. That is as close to having a film projector in your house as you will get. Your Samsung does 120hz so it will accurately display a 24p signal and it should even identify that source as 24p.

Does this, from spec PDF, mean something different? I know the intro paragraphs there say 120hz color engine, but why not here?
Connections
3 HDMI inputs
- 480i/480p/1080i/1080p
(60Hz/30Hz/24Hz) input support
post #1354 of 5059 Old 04-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavepelt View Post

Does this, from spec PDF, mean something different? I know the intro paragraphs there say 120hz color engine, but why not here?
Connections
3 HDMI inputs
- 480i/480p/1080i/1080p
(60Hz/30Hz/24Hz) input support

120 is internal only for the display. Will not accept a 120 Hz input, if you could find such a beast.
post #1355 of 5059 Old 04-03-2008, 08:43 PM

crutchfield finally has the 61a750 on there website.
post #1356 of 5059 Old 04-03-2008, 08:59 PM

2500 to 1 is the contrast ratio. 50,000 to 1 is the dynamic contrast ratio of the 650 per best buy.
post #1357 of 5059 Old 04-03-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysb View Post

120 is internal only for the display. Will not accept a 120 Hz input, if you could find such a beast.

Thanx. Is it 4 sure then that EVERYTHING is converted to 120hz for display?
post #1358 of 5059 Old 04-03-2008, 10:36 PM

BTW, fotoconnection.com has it at $1849 with a free DVD hd upconverter. They don't seem to be an authorized dealer tho. Shipping about 175.
If anyone gets it from them let us know how it works out thru them and if DVD is quality.
post #1359 of 5059 Old 04-03-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7777 View Post

2500 to 1 is the contrast ratio. 50,000 to 1 is the dynamic contrast ratio of the 650 per best buy.

Crutchfield has the HL61A750 at 10,000:1 Dynamic contrast ratio so how could the 650 be 50,000:1 dynamic ?
post #1360 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 02:14 AM

Im thinking aboutgetting this tv 61" led model, main thing im concerned is bowing issue because I watch alot of sports should I be concerned ?

also wonder how PS3 and xbox360 will look also Big on Sports.
post #1361 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by theranman View Post

Just a head's up to potential buyers. I live in the Chicago area, and have ALWAYS bought my electronics and appliances from Abt. I can't vouch for their internet service, but their local service and prices are the standards by which others in the industry are judged. You want THE best prices? Call Abt.com or their local (847) number and ask to speak directly to a sales drone. Make up a reasonably good price, THEN ask the salesperson to beat it. If the set lists for $2400, I'd tell them I could get it for $2100 including tax (local 9%) and delivery out the door. 9/10 times they will beat it. And if THAT drone won't, hang up, call back, and ask for another one. I guarantee you that THAT person will. I've used the same two drones for the past 10 years and they've always beaten the tar out of competitors. If you don't ask, you won't get, but trust me....if you're actually ready to buy (and not just waste time), they'll respond. Really.

Abt also sold original DirecTV HD Tivo boxes on ebay at inflated prices when they had pre-orders in their system just sitting there gathering dust. I'm just sayin'.

Matt
post #1362 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrjim View Post

My request does not void warranties

Just connect an antenna and scan.

I've got a mess of cables and can't currently hook it back up to follow up with you, but I can tell you that when I had it hooked up (before I got everything set back up so it was pretty inaccessable) did the scan, still have ATSC channels, but in PIP mode only analog channels are available.

Matt
post #1363 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback559 View Post

Im thinking aboutgetting this tv 61" led model, main thing im concerned is bowing issue because I watch alot of sports should I be concerned ?

I think its pretty obvious if you read the last 10 days of posts or so you should be concerned--that its a crap shoot if you get a set with bowing or not How to alleviate that concern? Purchase from somewhere you can get your set swapped if you get bowing or other issues you don't want to put up with. If the TV meets your buying criteria, why let a potential defect stop you.

Matt
post #1364 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 03:29 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHAERO2 View Post

Is anyone still experiencing resets??

I had another reset yesterday using my Xbox via component directly to the tv. It was annoying having the TV reset in the middle of a COD4 match.

I called Samsung and they faxed a service request to a local repair company. Problem is I don't want to let a repair company take it from my house for a repair. When they took my HLR6168, they had it for three weeks. They repaired the shadow problem but left a tiny smudge on one of the mirrors, which shows up as a small blob on the screen. If they don't repair it in home, I my just return it to CC and avoid Samsung from now on. No idea what to buy next since I like the picture and the lack of a bulb.

Their 2008 LCDs on the LNxxA650 forum also have the reset problem. There doesn't appear to be a fix yet. Someone mentioned burn marks on a circuit board. Others have mentioned a new firmware and having the power supply replaced, both didn't work for them. Which makes me think the repair company will have no idea what to fix on my TV. I don't want to be stuck with a tv that resets randomly or that may fail from the problem after the warrant expires.
post #1365 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 05:19 AM

I don't know. I'm was just going by what best buy said for contrast ratio. All I know is the 650 was right beside the 750 and the 650 looked alot better. obviously the real test is at your own house with the proper hookups. Things always look better at home.
post #1366 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback559 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

I think its pretty obvious if you read the last 10 days of posts or so you should be concerned--that its a crap shoot if you get a set with bowing or not How to alleviate that concern? Purchase from somewhere you can get your set swapped if you get bowing or other issues you don't want to put up with. If the TV meets your buying criteria, why let a potential defect stop you.

I have noticed just a tad of bowing and what seems like it may be a slanting issue. When I was looking for problems, that is. I noticed on 4:3 broadcast (with the bars) right at the VERY bottom, there is a little bowing out. I also noticed when you have bars across top and bottom (2.35:1) the bottom right is slightly higher than the bottom left. I measured these and we are talking 1 or 2 millimeters. I decided this is not enough for me to want to deal with an exchange thru the mail. I watched the NIT championship game last night (go bucks!) and it looked great and I could not notice either of these problems. I believe someone said the espn ticker could be smiling at you if you have severe bowing and that would be HORRIBLE, but i notice no such thing. Like turls said before, don't let it stop you from getting one. if its THAT horrible I am sure you can return it, but I would probably assume most people have my case and it really is not noticable with normal viewing
post #1367 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunleyt View Post

Would anyone care to share their settings?

I was really surprised today. I got my hdmi cables from monoprice and hooked up my hd-dvd player with them instead of the component cables I was using. The movie itself(Dazed and Confused) I didn't notice any huge difference between the 1080i of component and the 1080p/24, but on the universal opening I noticed a huge difference.

One question I have though is; How can you tell if a movie was shot in 24fps or the normal 29.97fps? The Toshiba hd-dvd users manual said that if playback seemed jittery you should set the player to 1080p instead of 1080p/24 but was wondering if there's any clear way to know outside of noticing some jitter.

Yesterday I was raving about setting the LED adjust to "auto" . After getting home yesterday, I turned on the TV and I felt like my eyes were going to be burned out on that setting. I dunno if my eyes were more sensitive or what, but I dropped it down to "medium". I dunno if this will change for my ps3 viewing also or not. So far:

for tv (cable box thru component input):
standard mode, colors all standard, no black adjust, no dynamic contrast, LED adjust "medium", contrast 83, brightness 30ish in dark 40ish in light

for ps3/bluray (hdmi):
movie mode, color bar a little towards green (only a few, like 47/53 or so), contrast 80, bightness 30ish in dark 40/50ish in light, LED adjust "auto" (this may change when I revisit it) no dynamic contrast or any other "enhancements", film mode OFF (this gets greyed out once you set the ps3 to 24p anyways)

I would like a more professional calibration though... I do not have any DVE disc or anything. I am probably going to put in a THX dvd and do their setup tonight (more than likely star wars ep 3) and see how much that changes things
post #1368 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss312 View Post

I had another reset yesterday using my Xbox via component directly to the tv. It was annoying having the TV reset in the middle of a COD4 match.

I switched my PS3 to component and have not had a reset since. I have not yet watched a movie with this setup. I'm having a party tonight and PS3 will be playing for several hours so I will know if reset is an issue with component.

As a side note... setup component for all resolutions, test worked fine for each then I played a game @ 720. After quitting the game the PS3 returned to the main menu and the screen cycled through varoius resolutions and concluded: "Mode Not Supported". Nothing would display long enough for me to adjust the settings so I had to switch back to HDMI then reconfigure my component output. This time I left off 1080p and it has been working fine since. Not too big of a deal since the only thing I have that will run at 1080p over component is the PS3 menu.

My PS3 is running the latest version (2.20, I think. Updated a couple weeks ago). The PS3 80Gb was bought from a Sony Store at the end of Dec. so it should have new/newest hardware specs.

I will keep playing around with this because I really want to use PS3 over HDMI. I may go buy a Sony BD player to see if I have any issues with it then return it when my tests are complete.

Praying for a PS3 or A750 patch to make my life complete...
post #1369 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavepelt View Post

Thanx. Is it 4 sure then that EVERYTHING is converted to 120hz for display?

Since I'm only contemplating buying a 650/750, I can't be sure, but in other devices, this parameter is switchable between 60Hz and 120Hz.
post #1370 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsmaniac02 View Post

I also noticed when you have bars across top and bottom (2.35:1) the bottom right is slightly higher than the bottom left. I measured these and we are talking 1 or 2 millimeters.

I got my TV wednesday and also noticed the exact same kind of "slanting", bottom left sits a bit lower than the bottom right, but the top seems to be ok. I tried manually "flexing" the cabinet to fix it (and it did if I stood there and held onto it forever) but it wouldn't take and as soon as I let go it goes back to how it was.

The actual slanting I would say is anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4", probably closer to 1/4". If I "lose myself" in whatever I'm watching I can usually not notice it, but if there are black bars or if I throw up a menu on screen, I can notice it pretty easily if I go looking for it. My better half doesn't seem to notice or care and thinks the set looks great

As much as it bothers me that it is there, it's not enough to go through the hassle of exchange, at least not yet. Thankfully it's not as severe as some others have reported with this or previous models. As for other issues, I've had it reset on me once, the day I got it, and it hasn't since. I've mostly been using the PS3 through it, watched the free Spiderman 3 Blu-Ray it came with at 24p with no issue, and have played untold hours of NHL '08 and the PS3 hiccuped more than the TV did. I had the PS3 hooked up through component until UPS showed up with my monoprice HDMI cables and it was able to do 1080P no sweat (PS3 menu and in game). Come to think of it, that was probably when the one reset happened, no more since swapping to HDMI.

All things considered, I am happy with it
post #1371 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Abt also sold original DirecTV HD Tivo boxes on ebay at inflated prices when they had pre-orders in their system just sitting there gathering dust. I'm just sayin'.

The internet and ebay are a whole different animal than dealing with a live, accountable salesperson. I'm just sayin'.

Btw, I'm also into cycling. You wouldn't believe the number of threads about buying from bikesdirect.com vs. from a local dealer. The bottom line is pretty much that if you're a good mechanic and know your sizing, take a shot and buy from the internet. Same goes for the TV. If you're a tech, or don't mind the hassle of trying to return an internet item, take a shot. Otherwise, I recommend a local dealer. Tax sucks though.

If I sound like I'm shilling for Abt, I apologize. I just thought I'd let folks know that there ARE some really good deals out there, and from reputable sources...in MY humble opinion.
post #1372 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaron420 View Post

I got my TV wednesday and also noticed the exact same kind of "slanting", bottom left sits a bit lower than the bottom right, but the top seems to be ok. I tried manually "flexing" the cabinet to fix it (and it did if I stood there and held onto it forever) but it wouldn't take and as soon as I let go it goes back to how it was.

The actual slanting I would say is anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4", probably closer to 1/4". If I "lose myself" in whatever I'm watching I can usually not notice it, but if there are black bars or if I throw up a menu on screen, I can notice it pretty easily if I go looking for it. My better half doesn't seem to notice or care and thinks the set looks great

As much as it bothers me that it is there, it's not enough to go through the hassle of exchange, at least not yet. Thankfully it's not as severe as some others have reported with this or previous models. As for other issues, I've had it reset on me once, the day I got it, and it hasn't since. I've mostly been using the PS3 through it, watched the free Spiderman 3 Blu-Ray it came with at 24p with no issue, and have played untold hours of NHL '08 and the PS3 hiccuped more than the TV did. I had the PS3 hooked up through component until UPS showed up with my monoprice HDMI cables and it was able to do 1080P no sweat (PS3 menu and in game). Come to think of it, that was probably when the one reset happened, no more since swapping to HDMI.

All things considered, I am happy with it

yeah, I don't notice a slant for the whole picture either... it just seems to be the bottom. I still have yet to throw up a grid to see how bad it effects everything, I will have to do that. All in all though, I would like to add that I am happy with it too... sometimes I feel like I need to repeatedly state that with the negatives on this thread lol

Also, I have not experienced any shutdown yet (hdmi for ps3, component for cable). But I have not done anything for more than like 3 hours straight so far.
post #1373 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 AM

Bowing update on my 61" 750: the bottom "frown" is definitely more pronounced than the top "smile". Using sports tickers to measure, I see a 1/8th inch sag in both bottom corners. The top bowing is smaller than that.

A few questions:
1) As I am a newcomer to HD, I've always been used to the espn SD tickers being flush to the bottom of the screen. On this set (and on my new Panasonic 42PZ85 plasma), the espn HD tickers are not flush to the bottom. They are raised, with additional screen below them. Is this how they are, or do I have some wrong setting? If they are meant to be raised like that, I don't expect the 1/8th inch bowing to be noticeable.

2) When I watch a non-HD program in non-stretched setting, are the black bars on both sides supposed to be perfectly straight? My border lines slant outwards at the top and bottom, and it's quite noticeable. Is this a symptom of bowing?
post #1374 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 07:20 AM

I changed the PS3's 24p output from automatic to always. Since then I've watched though No Country For Old Men without a reset.

Still havent had a reset while using the 360 or DirectTV box.
post #1375 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

If I sound like I'm shilling for Abt, I apologize. I just thought I'd let folks know that there ARE some really good deals out there, and from reputable sources...in MY humble opinion.

So, if I find a good price on the internet, you're saying ABT will match it?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #1376 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Are the 56" sets (56a650, 5689S) also suffering from this bowing issues as much as the larger sets?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #1377 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure I'm cool with that, the only problem is we're both violating forum rules I'm fairly sure. We aren't supposed to even be talking about pricing especially regarding specific vendors, but I'm not a mod and "everybody's doing it", but I just throw my 2 cents in whenever I hear the word ABT

Matt
post #1378 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post

Are the 56" sets (56a650, 5689S) also suffering from this bowing issues as much as the larger sets?

Not sure if you are asking me directly, but I doubt the potential for bowing affects any model more or less than the other since my all my 1st gen 50" DLPs had the issue (I went through 2 or 3 of them, not all because of bowing, but they all had various degrees of bowing).

Matt
post #1379 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post

Sweet!

Yes, please explain "a minimal amount of calibration" and let us know whether this was through CCA (or something else) in the service menu, or via user adjustments.

Grayscale was done in the service menu using the movie mode. After entering service menu and returning to normal all items in the user menu return to default settings and must be reset. Using Getgray calibration disk brightness adjusts as recommended, contrast like a lot of digital sets would not limit to 100%, left setting at 90. Color temperature set to warm 2, sharpness 0, gamma from -3 to 0, LED control to auto (made big difference in brightness), all other video enhancements to off. xvYCC on really messes up color gamut. color set to 49 from 50, tint left at 50/50. Without service manual I didn't attempt any other adjustments in service menu where I suspect you might be able to change the default settings. As far as blacks are concerned I can see lapels outlines on black suits where I couldn't on the old Toshiba (2004 model) which was calibrated. Skin tone depending on source is good to excellent. None of the problems others have had with screen distortion (just lucky?). Looks like a big screen high priced panel TV.
post #1380 of 5059 Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I love to know why they didn't include the 56" model in the 750 (LED) series.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page