2008 Samsung DLP's Discussion (HLxxA650/A750) - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am probably going to buy whatever I choose from Best Buy and get the 4 year service plan. I believe this would cover the first bulb change if I got the 650. I am 99% sure I would replace this set before the warranty ran out as I would get whatever the new tech is at that time.

Assuming all this, does the 650 produce a better picture than the 750? Also, do any of the 650 owners notice any of the issues that plague DLP sets, such as the rainbow effect,hotspot,etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

I have read a great deal of this thread, though not every page as it is too long. I happen to own the HLN617W set. Mine was 4 years old back in October 2007. I bought the extended warranty because the whole DLP RP technology was still rather new in 2003. I took advantage of the extended warranty about two months before it expired in October 2007 and had the color wheel and bulb replaced. I know that there were those who had various issues with the HLN series of sets. I personally have had none! The color wheel screeched one time for about 30 seconds which prompted me to use my extended warranty as previously mentioned. The HLN617W is a 720p set and still has an excellent picture from HD over cable using component connections. An up-converted, standard DVD through an Oppo DV971H still looks very close to HD using DVI.

My point in all of this is that I am truly sorry to hear that Samsung is still having so many issues with the various DLP sets... whether they are LED or Color Wheel seems to make little difference. I too love the DLP's in general and I hope they do not go the way of the Dodo bird! The price for picture quality cannot be beat by any other technology at this stage of the game.

I would like to think that the makers of the DLP chip (Texas Instruments) would be getting involved in the quality control issues that Samsung, and others, are having in order that DLP is not relegated to projectors only.

Now that I'm looking at the possibility of the 67" LED due out in June, I am truly surprised that after nearly 7 years of DLP rear projection production that Samsung is still allowing so many sets to go out with these problems.

Hopefully they will get these issues resolved very soon, because if they don't... we all will be looking at some different technology for our future purchases.

We may like the fact that DLP is cheaper, but when you lay out several grand for anything, we should expect good quality. I personally will be willing to pay a little more for the technology that works the best OOB.

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

post #1893 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 AM

I have been reading this thread for quite some time. I used its initial pages to decide that the HL61A750 would replace my JVC HD56FN97 which died after 14 months of ownership (LCOS). Best Buy xtended warranty refunded my money and I went for the Samsung. I had the first one for 12 days(delivered 4/1/08). Experienced several reset cycles. Had the new one delivered Saturday morning (04/12/08). Ran it all day and well into the night (probably 14 hours or so). Next day (04/13/08) turned it on in the morning. Watched it most of the day, and at 8:30 or so that night, got my first power reset. Next morning (04/14/08) the tv is now well covered in fine particulate dust (and I keep a clean house, no pets, no kids, vacum at least twice a week--seems it generates quite a bit of static) and I got my second power reset at approx. 2:30 pm. I talked with Samsung tech on this one, they want to send someone out. I was going to let them come out, however last night I noticed that there seems to be several spots on the inside of the screen (dust perhaps?) I am thouroughly disgusted with this model and Samsung for that matter. Their tech support at least mentioned hearing about this issue but had no suggestions as to what it might be. I would caution anyone at this point about buying it. Given all the people here who have had difficulties with the HL61A750 I am confident that this is a serious model issue and it should be avoided. The power resets occured with several different input devices. My PS3 (HDMI 2)running at 24hz watching "Gone Baby Gone" special features (interviews, no major motion or color changes). My dish network (HDMI 1) (1080i "Gone in 60 Seconds"-last 10 minutes of movie). OTA antenna watching "Jeapordy". No rhyme or reason to the power resets. I am at a loss and I think I will be returning this second set and exg'ing for a TH-50PZ85U Panasonic plasma 50". I hope this helps someone in making a decision. Rear projections don't have good luck in this house (BTW plugged all directly into wall (as recommended by Samsung tech on 1st set) not a surge protector).
post #1894 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

To anyone considering purchasing one of these Samsungs, that lives anywhere near the Lehigh Valley in PA.
I bought a very nice stand for my 6187S that I no longer have, so I will sell it for 50% of cost.
Still on BB website if you want to see it....PM me if interested.

I'm in Pittsburgh......is that close?
post #1895 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I have the speakers turned off on the set however every time I reboot my TiVo the speakers on the set get turned on. If I go into the menu they say they are turned off however I have to toggle them back to on/off before they turn off.

I have a similar issue with Black Adjust every time I change Picture Mode it gets set to High (however the menu still shows whatever setting I'm using). I have to cycle through the various options back to Off before it takes affect.

I verified this by looking at a test pattern and blacks aren't getting crushed. If I switch Picture Modes and then switch right back the blacks were getting crushed. When I recycled the Black Adjust back to Off the crushing is gone.

This reminds me of something... aha, thanks to search, I found it! I wonder if some of these setting reset issues are caused by the sets being in "shop" mode?

Check this out from the Samsung LNT owners thread, maybe something similar with these sets is going on.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=893827

Quote:

****BASIC INFO ON GETTING OUT OF SHOP MODE******************************************************** **************
If you tv is stuck in shop mode here is the way to turn shop mode off. Hit menu on the remote, go to setup, go to plug & play, hit start. Select home. Exit out after selecting home or if you are using OTA, the tv will try to re-find all the channels again and that could take a half hour so just exit after selecting home. Some folks put thier tv in shop mode by accident. You will know your tv is in shop mode if it doesn't remeber your settings and keeps going back to dynamic mode. A way to check this is by setting your tv to Movie mode. Turn the tv off, when you turn the tv back on it should still be on movie mode. If it is back on dynamic mode, follow the instructions above.
************************************************************ *******************************************************

post #1896 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm now subscribing to this thread. I'm front projector guy, but my dad just bought the A750 and called me and said that the TV turns off and then on after an hour of watching it. Being the avid AVS'er that I am, I checked out this thread. So count another set in the blackout category. I hope there will be a firmware update so I'll keep my eye on this thread. This is a real pity concerning the potential of this set and technology.
post #1897 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsmaniac02 View Post

I would probably agree with everything here except for 2 things, one of which I notice, the other I was never susceptible to anyways. The LED should basically get rid of any noticable rainbow effects. I have read stuff about last year's model saying that if you were VERY aware of this before, maybe you still notice rainbow effects, but they should basically be eliminated (I never really noticed too much anyways). Also compared to my old DLP (lamp based, but a few years back) I do not notice a hotspot much at all with this LED set. Now maybe lamps have progressed moreso and this is not an issue anymore, but the hotspot was a pain previously and I do not see anything now. This is just something I wanted to bring up.

Also, the color wheel is not something that is going to go out quickly, its something that overtime can get noisier, take longer to start up, eventually break. And the bulb WILL need replaced. In an ideal world where samsung had better quality control the LED set would be hands down the better choice in my opinion. I do not believe these problems all (if any) stem from being LED. I also think that (correct me if I am wrong) the geometry issues are occuring on the bulb models also. But given everything I am seeing now, I would not fault people for going the "tried and true" route of a bulb DLP set.

To a potential buyer, if you want the set to last you a long time... I would go LED and assume that firmware updates will take care of most of what has been said here. Or if you have more patience than me, WAIT. lol. If you think you'll probably get a new tv within a few years that completely replaces this one (I mean you won't even move this to a different room or anything) then maybe the traditional bulb set might be a better option.

Good points, Im just saying the 50" never had color wheel issues, it was something else that got me. Regarding the bulb, with some EW's they pay for 2-3 bulb replacements so basically the money I save from going bulb nets me enough money for one bulb and add an EW would easily take care of a second. This is over 4 years and I am sure you would agree you need an EW anyway so while unfortunate, its hard to imagine any TV today that wouldn't have issues within 4 years, especially RPTV.

The nail in the coffin for me was picture quality and the bulb to me, 2 years in a row, still smoked the LED. Especially in viewing angles.
post #1898 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 10:25 AM

I just called Samsung support for the umpteenth time to check on the status of the transaction # I was given.

The rep said the last note entered was "Product Support is aware of the issue and a firmware fix is in development."

I asked her when the note was data entered, and she replied with "April 11th."

Now, my original transaction # merely stated that the set will "power cycle" every so often @ 1080p resolution when watching Blu-Ray movies. I later updated the ticket to indicate that "screen blanking" (as apparent in the YouTube videos, including mine) is also an issue (perhaps related, perhaps not). However, I did this on Saturday, the 12th. I'll see if I can dig up more details later.

I would be interested if others could confirm or deny the report.
post #1899 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 AM

I am still amazed by my friends 2 year old 71" sammy that is a dlp bulb model it's crystal clear picture. I may be steering to the 650's for me. I am having a hard time spending my money on something that has know issues that's not being fixed by the manufacture year after year. The one thing I am set on is a Sammy 650 or 750 just trying to see this out a little longer before I pull the trigger.
post #1900 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsmaniac02 View Post

I will have to check that Black Adjust setting also... Am I understanding correctly that you are saying it continues to say "off" (I believe you leave black adjust off) but is actually behaving as if black adjust was "high"? Then you have to set to something else (mid, low, high, whatever) and then put it back to "off" in order for it to behave correctly again? This happens whenever you switch "picture modes". By that you mean like "normal", "dynamic", or "movie"?

Exactly. The set says it's off however the image reflects it being set to High. Cycle back to Off and it's actually off. I think it's hard to spot and I probably wouldn't even have noticed it except for one thing.

I happened to be viewing a black level pattern which looked "perfect" in Standard mode. I switched to Movie mode which I had set up the same way (Black Adjust Off) and noticed blacks were being crushed. So I though the Movie mode was inherently different than Standard. However when I switched back to Standard they were still being crushed and I was totally confused!

Don't remember how I tied the two together (probably from playing around with anything that could change black level) but the moment I cycled Black Adjust back to Off the crushing disappeared. Then I switched back to Movie and the crush was there (remember the set still says it's set of Off) so I cycled back to Off and it was gone.

By the way I'm still letting the Brightness slide now the scale based on actual viewing. I think I'm down to 58... still playing.
post #1901 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 10:54 AM

I don't see "Setup" when I press Menu on the remote (61A750)

XBL:  B Klip

PSN:  Chodite

post #1902 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 AM

To see the firmware version on Samsung TVs, follow these steps:

Turn on your TV.
Press the Menu button on your remote. The Main menu appears.
Select Setup, and then press Enter. The Setup menu appears.
Use the Down Arrow button to Select Function Help, and then press Enter.
Note: You will probably Down Arrow through several menu screens before reaching Function Help.

Select the word On. On is selected when the background behind the word On is dark.
Press the Info button on your remote, which is usually directly below the Down Arrow button below the Enter button.

The TV displays the firmware version and in some cases the chassis number.

If those that made entries in the 650/750 Owners Issues spreadsheet can enter their TVs firmware, maybe it will help resolve issues.
post #1903 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmann29 View Post

The one thing I am set on is a Sammy 650 or 750 just trying to see this out a little longer before I pull the trigger.

I'm in the same exact boat.
post #1904 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 01:38 PM

We just bought the tv (hl-6a750) a few days ago and have had problems with resets and the ps3 also. I called Samsung today and they said they have a firmware update that will be available tomorrow--it was just listed two hours ago on their computers.
I hope this works...
So, call tomorrow and they will e-mail it to you or send it to you in the mail.
post #1905 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM

Liked: 12
I exchanged my A750 twice today. My original had slight bowing 1/4" and slight tilt 1/8". Using XBox over component at 1080p resulted in screen blanking and visual problems. 1080i worked fine. Multiple resets. It also made random electric pop noises.

The 2nd had now noticable bowing and tilt was half an inch from right side leaning down toward the left side at the top and bottom of the screen. Xbox was fine at 1080p, along with 1080i. Didn't have long enough for a reset. It made the pop noises more often. And oddly enough I did initial setup for home and it had all inputs set for dynamic mode. The tilt was to much to handle so I exchanged it.

The third has same tilt and bowing as first tv. Xbox has same problems as first tv. Haven't heard a pop noise yet. Initial setup had all inputs at normal mode. I'm sure the resets will come, but only had it on a hour.

Firmware was from 02/28/08 on all three tv's. I have to say I'm not at all impressed with Samsung. The only reasons I want the tv are LED, size, and of course price. I hope they fix this reset issue or this will be the last Samsung I ever purchase.
post #1906 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 02:26 PM

I'm sorry but I can't read this entire thread. It's longer than the bible. If anyone would be kind enough to just help me with a few quick questions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Just recently I bought the Samsung HLT6176 Slim DLP. I love the set. The picture is great the sound is ABSOLUTE crap but I really like picture and of course the sleek cab is nice too.

HOWEVER, like many others I experienced some bowing issues so I got a Samsung "authorized" rep to come out and fix it. They ordered a new screen and it DID fix the problem, however the screen had some serious scratch marks so they had to order another one.

The second screen arrived and they came out to install it today, but guess what? The scratch marks were about 1/2 long on both the left side and upper right. I'm almost positive the repair guy added to it with his unprofessional installing.

By the way DON'T EVER USE Electronic Lab (Ft. Lauderdale Florida). They owner is a jerk, rude and refused to deal with issue anymore. He said it'll never be perfect and he doesn't have time to finish the job.

Anyways, I called Samsung because obviously I just bought this set and I still don't have the problem resolved. The bowing is back and the screen had tons of visable scratches. I'm talking the scratches where it shows up BLACK on the screen so it really is noticeable.

So Samsung offered me the new 61A650 that releases later this month.

This is my question (probably dumb) but is it a no-brainer? Do I take the new 08 model?

I think it's bigger than the slim fit which I really liked, but what about the image and sound? I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but it is, I don't want to make a bad decison when I can just get a new screen and hope for the best.

I haven't found any reviews on the new set because they haven't been released nationwide. What are the differences? I see the cabinets are different. I hear the remote is completely different as is the on screen menu.

Do you think the bowing issue is gone for the '08 sets? What about the very loud popping sounds it makes from time to time?

Please reassure me I made the right decision in getting the '08 model. It's just that you hear so many people like the "older" sets so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot on this one.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the babble and STAY away from Electronic Lab (Ft. Laud/Pompano Beach Florida). The owner Alan is a real a$$.
post #1907 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 03:30 PM

Just wanted to say (since I'm so excited) that I just got the HL61A750 delivered today! I haven't had time to do anything other than auto-program the channels because I had to head to work. I'll be sure to post any issues or anything else I come across after I actually have time to hook things up to it and test it out. Thanks to this forum for helping out with everything through this whole process of selecting, discussing, buying, and everything that comes afterwards.

On another note, it looks like good news on the power cycle/firmware front. Looks like we'll have a fix soon. I look forward to posts on here saying the new firmware is out and that it corrects the issues!
post #1908 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

I fail to see why so many posters here that must not be familiar with Samsung's quality control history don't want to believe that these are real issues (I realize you've seen the light, but in a few pages, we'll have another one).

I'll be the sacrificial anode here. Is Samsung's quality control history good or bad (as compared to Sony, Mitsu, etc)?
post #1909 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrock22 View Post

After getting my Best Buy credit line opened, the sales drone goes to ring it up and asks if I want the extended service plan. No, I think I'll be okay...if I do decide on an extended warranty, it won't be with Best Buy.

I got mine from Circuit City, is it possible to buy an extended warranty for the TV somewhere else? Their prices for a warranty which INCLUDES the first year manufacturer warranty is really high......oh, I just bought my TV Friday so it's only been 5 days.....

Whatever you do...don't buy a warranty from Circuit City. They are TERRIBLE! I had a rpt (I paid over $3000 for it at the time) that had a sound card which went out 3 or 4 times and they NEVER fixed it properly. Right after the warranty expired, the card went out again and they basically said "too bad so sad". If I could have found someone to fix it properly in the first place I would have never had to deal with those guys. The tech scratched our hardwood floor with his tools and soldered the card in our house on our living room floor. It was the worst level of service I have ever had. Now my sound card is broken, my floor is scratched, and I am out $100s of dollars for work that was never done.
post #1910 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

To anyone considering purchasing one of these Samsungs, that lives anywhere near the Lehigh Valley in PA.
I bought a very nice stand for my 6187S that I no longer have, so I will sell it for 50% of cost.
Still on BB website if you want to see it....PM me if interested.

Hey I live 10-15 mins from the Lehigh Valley in PA. I PMd ya on the stand.
post #1911 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 07:04 PM

Location: Wherever the Army sends me. Currently: Fort Bragg, NC
I bought the 5087S about 3 weeks ago from Crutchfield for $1299 with a free stand and shipping. It had the bowing issue on both top left and right corners and when I called about having a replacement sent, they were no longer carrying that model. Since they had nothing other than the 61A750 in stock, they agreed to let me swap my 5087S for it +$400. I still keep the stand and all of the shipping is free. That's $700 off their current price so it felt like a good deal that is, until I read this thread. Now I'm worried I'll get a lemon like almost everyone else here. If that's the case, I'll just keep sending them back to Crutchfield until I get one that is right. It's a pain but I'll always have a TV and it won't cost me a dime. The only other option is to deal with Samsung and/or a service tech but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.
post #1912 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 07:37 PM

Can someone please post a photo of their samsung bowing, slanting or showing the pin cushion effect? I am interested to see exactly what it looks like.
post #1913 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 07:51 PM

has anyone used this test image on their 61A750 and zoomed once?

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ectionTest.jpg

Are you experiencing this?

This is my hlt5687S that i am trying to get upgraded to 61A750 because this is my second replacement set from Samsung that is having problems the first one had problems shown here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post13630013
post #1914 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirr View Post

Can someone please post a photo of their samsung bowing, slanting or showing the pin cushion effect? I am interested to see exactly what it looks like.

Each set is like a snow flake... no two are the same. However there are a few images posted earlier in this thread.
post #1915 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 PM

I bought my 61A750 April 9th 2008. All was good until 6 days later (today april 15th) when I noticed the TV restart 3 times during a couple of hours of watching HD cable using a brighthouse scientific americian explorer 3250 HD set top box.

This after I took the 6187S model back a week prior to buying the 750 because the 6187S turned off anytime I pushed ANY button on ANY remote - yes ANY remote even non samsung. figure that one out. Oh ya I bought that one at Sears. Beware. Samsung told me my 6187S was toast. Sears said "we'll send a tech out to check it out" when? "in about 3 or 4 weeks." The store is 5 miles away. I bought another set from Sears a few years back. it broke 18 months later. I paid Sears 100 bucks to send a tech out and analyze the problem. He tells me it will cost 900+ to fix. So thinking I have a lemon, I buy the samsung to replace it.
Now I have 2 HDs. Then I find out that the 1st TV has a known bug and the manuafacture is providing a newly designed part and fix for free - $150 to have the part installed.

Samsung = Nice picture but a bunch of crap inside.
Sear electronics = no integrity or customer service

Thank god I still have my 29" RCA that I bought in 1990 - not 1 issue in 18 years and still going strong.
It has a nice picture too but I bet in 18 years from now this piece of junk Samsung will probably be in some land fill buried under a bunch of other samsungs. And Sears will probably be owned by walmart.
post #1916 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 PM

I bought my 61A750 April 9th 2008. All was good until 6 days later (today april 15th) when I noticed the TV restart 3 times during a couple of hours of watching HD cable using a brighthouse scientific americian explorer 3250 HD set top box.

This after I took the 6187S model back a week prior to buying the 750 because the 6187S turned off anytime I pushed ANY button on ANY remote - yes ANY remote even non samsung. figure that one out. Oh ya I bought that one at Sears. Beware. Samsung told me my 6187S was toast. Sears said "we'll send a tech out to check it out" when? "in about 3 or 4 weeks." The store is 5 miles away. I bought another set from Sears a few years back. it broke 18 months later. I paid Sears 100 bucks to send a tech out and analyze the problem. He tells me it will cost 900+ to fix. So thinking I have a lemon, I buy the samsung to replace it.
Now I have 2 HDs. Then I find out that the 1st TV has a known bug and the manuafacture is providing a newly designed part and fix for free - $150 to have the part installed.

Samsung = Nice picture but a bunch of crap inside.
Sear electronics = no integrity or customer service

Thank god I still have my 29" RCA that I bought in 1990 - not 1 issue in 18 years and still going strong.
It has a nice picture too but I bet in 18 years from now this piece of junk Samsung will probably be in some land fill buried under a bunch of other samsungs. And Sears will probably be owned by walmart.
post #1917 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 PM

Stupid sort of question here.

I recently purchased a 61A750 and I also own a 42" Samsung plasma. I'm pretty satisfied with the PQ of the new 750, but after going from a plasma - the 750's picture looks kind of soft. I want to say slightly washed out. Hard to explain. But the colors just don't pop like the plasma. Two different technologies, I understand. But what settings should I play with to at least try and get the picture to being even close to that of the plaz?

XBL:  B Klip

PSN:  Chodite

post #1918 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 08:58 PM

couple more questions, is this years sets using Dark Chip 4 or still using Dark Chip 3? I went thru the thread and skimmed thru all the posts guess i missed this if it has already been covered so i apologize in advance. My next question is on the reset issue that seems like everyone is having, how on earth did they keep the floor model at CES 2008 to not do the reset when it was on constantly??
post #1919 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopino View Post

couple more questions, is this years sets using Dark Chip 4 or still using Dark Chip 3? I went thru the thread and skimmed thru all the posts guess i missed this if it has already been covered so i apologize in advance. My next question is on the reset issue that seems like everyone is having, how on earth did they keep the floor model at CES 2008 to not do the reset when it was on constantly??

Various "Experts" have expressed various "Opinions", but the Dark Chip 4 question has not yet been settled.

Dave

post #1920 of 5059 Old 04-15-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Various "Experts" have expressed various "Opinions", but the Dark Chip 4 question has not yet been settled.

so what were the various opinions from these so called experts??
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page