2008 Samsung DLP's Discussion (HLxxA650/A750) - Page 68 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2011 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a technician coming out to tomorrow from Tekniton,Samsung's service reps in Southern California, to look at and hopefully correct the bowing issue on our set. For us, this concern overshadows the power on/off issue which only happened once to us and seems to be correctable with the firmware update. If the bowing (hourglass shape) can not be fixed, then I will return to CC. We really like the picture on the 750 and am wondering how widespread is the bowing issue. Bottom line - if we exchange our existing set for another 750 are we likely to have the bowing problem?

Otherwise, what is a good alternative in a set that is at least 60" (we have recently moved and our new house has an entertainment room with a really nice built in shelf that is 5 feet high by 7 feet wide with a 2 foot depth) since anything smaller looks really weird in the space we have. Plus the chairs and couch are 9 to 11 feet away from the screen. The room has windows pretty much all around and I am afraid a plasma would have too much reflection. I only have until April 30 to return the set to CC.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaron420 View Post

If your browser tries to automatically open Adobe to view it when clicking, you can always "right-click, save as" to have it download as a normal file so you can at least see the download progress.

Like I said, my PC has numerous problems and I don't want to format and reinstall Windows just yet. At work, my PC is good but the server won't let me download the file.
post #2013 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaron420 View Post

Here is the self-extracting firmware package that I was sent and so far no problems.

I'm not responsible if you brick your set, so use at your own risk!

If someone else wants to host/mirror it as well that would be cool.

This is listed as a750, will this work on the a650's too?
post #2014 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 08:54 AM

@ RedBaron420 & harps500

Thank you to you both for uploading the firmware and guides... I'm certain I'm not the only one very appreciative of the links.

Thanks for the hard work... I hope my (and others I'm sure) thanks will be enough.

TK
post #2015 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrist256 View Post

... our new house has an entertainment room with a really nice built in shelf that is 5 feet high by 7 feet wide with a 2 foot depth) ...

Wow, that is way higher than the ideal viewing height for eye level, unless you watch TV on bar stools. It should really be on a stand that is no higher than about 2 feet. Don't you find it weird looking up at the TV? Still, I'd give the DLP another shot. For the size you want you can't beat the price.

I'm downloading the firmware now and will host and add links to it in my sig after lunch.
post #2016 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknomedic View Post

@ RedBaron420 & harps500

Thank you to you both for uploading the firmware and guides... I'm certain I'm not the only one very appreciative of the links.

Thanks for the hard work... I hope my (and others I'm sure) thanks will be enough.

Yes, thank you.

I'm pretty sure my account is flagged at Samsung as an indicator to "annoy the heck out of this guy, he calls too much." I spoke with three different reps yesterday, and never received the firmware.

Again, thanks.
post #2017 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Links to firmware added to my sig and the spreadsheet. Firmware is still uploading, so won't be ready to download yet.

Edit: Wow, still uploading. The upload link is slooooow.

Good luck.
post #2018 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro View Post

Wow, that is way higher than the ideal viewing height for eye level, unless you watch TV on bar stools. It should really be on a stand that is no higher than about 2 feet. Don't you find it weird looking up at the TV? Still, I'd give the DLP another shot. For the size you want you can't beat the price.

I'm downloading the firmware now and will host and add links to it in my sig after lunch.

Those ( 5 feet by 7 feet) are the dimensions for the space inside the shelf. The bottom of the cabinet is 26" off the floor. So the viewing height is fine. I may give the 750 another shot, but the bowing is really annoying, almost impossible to avoid concentrating on once you notice it.
post #2019 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrist256 View Post

Those ( 5 feet by 7 feet) are the dimensions for the space inside the shelf. The bottom of the cabinet is 26" off the floor. So the viewing height is fine. I may give the 750 another shot, but the bowing is really annoying, almost impossible to avoid concentrating on once you notice it.

how bad is the bowing? Do you have any pics? I have some very slight bowing on mine, but I can only tell if there is a grid up, or a 4:3 pic with bars on the sides. Even then I have to look for it. I was under the impression that bowing was NOT correctable and will just vary by individual set. I would try another a750 if you could. I don't honestly think there is anything comparable for size and price range unless you go with one of the discontinued sony rptv (a2000, a2020, or a3000 i believe)

Mine has slight slanting but to be honest with you I think it might be psychological, because I measured it and we are talking 1 or 2 mm and from viewing distance there is no way I would actually notice that
post #2020 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 10:51 AM

Yea for some reason no one is able to post pics of the "bowing" yet. I'd really like to see it.

I was at two circuit citys and plan to go to best buy today after work to look at stands. This will be three stores looking at three models of the 61a750 (and 56/61a650). The two at circuit city showed no indication of bowing / slanting by plain viewing at all. i did a measurement on one TV only to find the black bars from a widescreen movie higher on one side than the other. But again that was after a measurement from a pocket tape measure. Otherwise I would have never noticed it, and I looked hard at the images with my glasses on about 8 feet from the TV. My two couches will be about 7 feet and 14 feet away from the TV at home.
post #2021 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Okay I'll host the firmware update for a bit as well to help out. I haven't tested it so use at your own risk!!!

Firmware update for the A750
post #2022 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM

My only issue with this TV so far has been the power cycling. Now that's fixed I'm very happy with the set. As others have stated, any geometry issues that I have are not noticable from normal viewing distances. You've got to look for them up close or have a grid up.

I had the 5687SAX before and I can tell you i'm very pleased with the PQ and the extra menu options of the HL61A750. I will also no longer be able to live without picture in picture which i have hooked up to cable.

Looking forward to IFS calibration after a couple more months without any problems. Hopefully this is the last problem i have with this set...
post #2023 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
This and every other "main" thread on Samsung DLP since 2002. Nothing new here. Maybe in the past somebody eventually gets an owner's thread going, but unless the first two or three posts are useful FAQ info, its not going to get all the traffic and people will have to follow more than one thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinSyracuse View Post

How about we start an official "owners" thread. This thread is 63 pages of speculation and one page of actually useful information. I really think we need a new thread for those of us who own this set to share information and calibration information.

Matt
post #2024 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post

Yea for some reason no one is able to post pics of the "bowing" yet. I'd really like to see it.

Take the pics I posted and extrapolate from there. The grid lines won't be straight if you have bowing. Where they deviate and by how much is variable per set. Might be horizontal, might be vertical, might be both. My first set that had geometry issues also had focus issues, but those are hard to spot in pictures at the res I could upload here.

I also previously posted instructions about how to go into the service menu to pull up a grid on the set. So if you get a hold of a remote on a floor model it is easy to check. But even if the floor model is good there is no guarantee the one you get won't be completely different.

Matt
post #2025 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post

I have looked at six sets and everyone of them have been totally different. I don't think you can judge one set by looking at another. If you want to judge a set simply throw up the Grid Pattern via the service menu. It instantly exposes all of its warts including, bowing, tilt and focus.
post #2026 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 12:25 PM

I called Samsung last night and told them that our TV was now bowing. They said it had to do with our satellite. I said, no it did not because this TV replaced another TV which was also HD and we never had bowing. The woman said she would send out a TV repair service asap. We can only see the bowing when we are watching normal TV in the pillar box. The pillas box is not straight down--the bottom right comes out a bit. I tried changing channels--no difference. I got out a ruler and realized that the bottom was totally off from the top in how wide the black lines were in the pillar.
I did not know what "bowing" meant either until last night when I sat down at the TV and saw it.
Can they fix this? Is this something that can be corrected? Is it even worth someone coming out?
post #2027 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I have looked at six sets and everyone of them have been totally different. I don't think you can judge one set by looking at another. If you want to judge a set simply throw up the Grid Pattern via the service menu. It instantly exposes all of its warts including, bowing, tilt and focus.

Where is the service menu?

Update on the repair for the bowing -- I just talked to TV Unlimited in Sunnyvale,CA and he said that bowing is totally fixable. We will see next week when he comes out here. Has anyone else had successful repairs on this issue?
post #2028 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 01:28 PM

Installed firmware 1004. Thanks all. We shall see.

I do not remember if we posted the method to check current firmware on these sets, but I figured it out. Menu/Setup/SW upgrade - then with SW upgrade highlighted press and hold INFO on your remote control.

PATSY
post #2029 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Ok, so I am now getting the CSR to send me the firmware. I went through the online support chat option, and look at this:

Samsung: Hello, I am a Samsung HDTV LiveChat representative. How may I assist you today?
Marcus: hi I am trying to get a firmware update for my TV
Samsung: I see.
Samsung: May I know the model number of your TV?
Marcus: Hl61750
Marcus: sorry
Marcus: HL61A750
Samsung: Okay, thanks for the model number.
Samsung: First are you having any specific problem with the unit or just wondering if there is an update?
Marcus: I am having issues where the tv shuts off and tgurns back on
Marcus: in the middle of watching something
Samsung: I see.
Marcus: and people have been calling samsung for this update
Marcus: and some people are getting it, and yesterday I got told it didn't exist
Marcus: which, it's new, so I understand it may take time
Samsung: Yes, there are no firmware updates for your TV.

But then seconds later after pressing him on it:

Marcus: hm thats strange
Marcus: people are saying that there is one
Marcus: version 1004
Samsung: Please give me a moment.
Marcus: yes sure
Samsung: Thanks for holding.
Samsung: May I know the serial number of your TV and its date of purchase?
Marcus: yes hold on a second
Marcus: purchase date is 3/24/08
Samsung: I see that there is a firmware update available for your TV to fix this issue.

It seem's it appeared out of nowhere? I don't know.. strange customer service. Oh and to everyone who is loading the firmware who did not get it from samsung he said that the serial # was required to make it, so it may be embedded in the firmware.
post #2030 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusb84 View Post

It seem's it appeared out of nowhere? I don't know.. strange customer service. Oh and to everyone who is loading the firmware who did not get it from samsung he said that the serial # was required to make it, so it may be embedded in the firmware.

I can only tell you that from my experience it appeared that the CSR went via his own knowledge in telling me that there wasn't a firmware available. Since it was so new and I pressed him on it, he really had to look it up to be sure one existed which he did.

As to the serial #, I wasn't asked for mine so I doubt there is any relationship between the firmware and the unit.
post #2031 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 06:35 PM

They are probably talking about the Version number, which for my set was RE01.

(I'm assuming revision 1)

Since a lot of us got fresh off the production line sets, all the new sets they are selling might already have this fix incorporated. So because of that they might be hesitant to hand out the firmware update if you aren't a RE01 batch customer. Who knows
post #2032 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 06:42 PM

I used the link on here and updated my firmware with it. No problems. It did fix the SRS issue. I had not seen the power off issue yet.

Received HDMI cable from monoprice today. Good deal there!

Has anyone strated playing with a good setup for gaming? That is next.
post #2033 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirr View Post

Where is the service menu?

Update on the repair for the bowing -- I just talked to TV Unlimited in Sunnyvale,CA and he said that bowing is totally fixable. We will see next week when he comes out here. Has anyone else had successful repairs on this issue?

Please keep us posted on the bowing repair.

Thanks

Dave

post #2034 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hey I'm from the A650 LCD board & was just wondering if you guys are getting black outs with component over 1080p on Xbox 360 too?

Not too many people are talking about it there, but I was wondering if you guys found anything about it?
post #2035 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

Hey I'm from the A650 LCD board & was just wondering if you guys are getting black outs with component over 1080p on Xbox 360 too?

Not too many people are talking about it there, but I was wondering if you guys found anything about it?

Yes, but I haven't hooked up the XBox since installing the firmware update that was released yesterday (1004). Another poster mentioned this latest firmware did not fix the screen blanking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTktulta-Qk

Turls also has a video - I believe he mentioned Samsung is aware of this issue as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wXQk...eature=related
post #2036 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 07:41 PM

Hi guys, been reading this thread since day one 'CES2008' and been wondering if this new range of Samsung DLP will be released in Australia. It's been hard to get any information from Samsung (Australia) because all they say is 'Sorry sir but this is dead technology' If only he knew that these TV's are HOT!! Has anyone over there in the US heard if this TV will be released internationally??
post #2037 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD44 View Post

Yes, but I haven't hooked up the XBox since installing the firmware update that was released yesterday (1004). Another poster mentioned this latest firmware did not fix the screen blanking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTktulta-Qk

Turls also has a video - I believe he mentioned Samsung is aware of this issue as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wXQk...eature=related

I didn't see the post that said it didn't fix screen blanking. I changed to VGA the day I loaded the firmware update, and haven't gone back to component (I needed the component input for my old Xbox anyway). I might test soon, but now I've got a dead Wii so I'm wasting way too much time on this stuff. (And Microsoft hasn't even successfully transferred my DRM from my last 360 repair less than 2 months ago). I had faith in Samsung, and they came through with not just putting these out there and dropping support if this really is their last hurrah on DLP. So I'm confident if there is a component blanking issue, they'll eventually fix it.

Matt
post #2038 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

I didn't see the post that said it didn't fix screen blanking. I changed to VGA the day I loaded the firmware update, and haven't gone back to component (I needed the component input for my old Xbox anyway). I might test soon, but now I've got a dead Wii so I'm wasting way too much time on this stuff. (And Microsoft hasn't even successfully transferred my DRM from my last 360 repair less than 2 months ago). I had faith in Samsung, and they came through with not just putting these out there and dropping support if this really is their last hurrah on DLP. So I'm confident if there is a component blanking issue, they'll eventually fix it.

Post #1977. I may have incorrectly made the assumption that screen blanking was what the user was referring to.

Quote:

It fixed the SRS not staying on issue when I updated mine. It didn't fix my Xbox 360 having problems at 1080p over component though. I can live with 1080i as long as the power cycle issue is fixed, and no new issues pop up.

post #2039 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Since updating I noticed that I am unable to set the LED brightness. I can choose auto which appears the brightest, or max which reduces the brightness slightly. The other options seem to do nothing, can anyone else look @ their set?
post #2040 of 5060 Old 04-17-2008, 08:22 PM

Can someone please tell me the difference between Edge Enhancement and Sharpness on the 61A750?

I actually like the PQ better with EE turned on (Sharpness then down to about 0) but some folks on here prefer it off. I prefer it on mostly when playing videogames. With it turned off, everything looks "soft".

So then I try turning it off but bumping up the Sharpness a tad, but it's still got a soft look. Just looking to see what the differences are between the two settings and some recommendations. Thanks!

P.S. - got my TV stand delivered today for the new TV and LOVING it!!

XBL:  B Klip

PSN:  Chodite

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page