post #2071 of 5059 Old 04-18-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post

Where is this Best Buy coupon? I did a quick Google search and couldn't find it?

https://moversguide.usps.com/img/coupon/bestbuy/200803_clientarea.gif (Hmmm.... For some reason,you need to copy and paste that URL into your browser.) However, I do not believe that they will accept the coupon on an "on sale" item.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 5059 Old 04-18-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post

I agree 120%!
I do wish that more people were aware of this forum so that they could either get the help they need, or better yet... so those who are NOT having any problems could tell us that also. In fact, I wonder how many of these sets are not having these issues OOB???

I have only had the power down issue once, and I do use the tv a LOT. extremely minimal slanting (to the point where even when I am looking for it, I can't notice too much anymore... is there a way that this can improve over time!?!?) and tolerable bowing. I think the average person would be happy with my experience so far. Will try new firmware once its been around longer and I don't hear of any problems it could cause. Can you "downgrade" firmware back to original? Does anyone know this!?
post #2073 of 5059 Old 04-18-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I know some of those types of people, I just tell them to go to Wal-Mart and get an LCD panel. They don't care about the differences between a good RP and a cheap LCD (on the same note they probably don't care about most geometry issues when they watch their 4:3 programming stretched if they do have a RPTV).

At this point in the game, at least with DLP and its gotchas, these people just need to get a little smaller set and stick with LCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post

I am willing to bet that the vast majority of people buying any large screen TV have no clue that a great forum like this even exists. Can you imagine trying to deal with these issues without the knowlege and expert help we enjoy here on AVS? Scarry!

Matt
post #2074 of 5059 Old 04-18-2008, 01:33 PM

Will someone else please put load a black test file up on their screens and tell me what happens. My screen shuts off after the Wiselink bars go away. If i click over to the next color file it turns back on. Weird... Please report back to me.

Greg
post #2075 of 5059 Old 04-18-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erock1 View Post

I know this is off topic but I thought since most members here have had power cycle and other issues with their new sammy sets, this might be as good a place as any to discuss it.

IMHO, I'm pissed at the fact that maufacturers are using us as BETA testers for their products. It seems these days that most maufacturers provide a USB or other mechanism to supposedly "upgrade" a component with new firmware when in fact it they are hastly pushing out expensive components & systems before they are fully tested in-house. I for one don't like it.

It's not only Samsung either. I have an expensive Denon AVR and have had to update the firmware a few times already to resolve issues that the AVRs have that never should have left the factory with. Never mind the fact that sometimes the firmware update does more harm than good.

Is this what we have to look forwrad to and just accept it? What's your opinion?
Erock

No manufacturer can be assured of selling a product such as this that meets evry possible situation out there. Not everyone has a PS3 or 360 and not everyone has has either of those will have the same games. Not everyone has the same DVD players or BLU ray players or AVRs. If the Samsung had to procure every conceivable piece of equipment that and test it in every possible configuration none of us would be able to afford any TV. Every company out there puts their product out there and has a very good possibility that it's not going to make everyone happy out there. It happens to eveen the real high end equipment.

It's a fact of life. What we need to appreciate is that Samsung responded to the issues this quickly. Since the firmware went from 1000 to 1004 I would suspect that 1002 & 1003 probably took care of some other issues we may or may not know about. I'm very happy that they have responded to these issues and hopefully will address anything remaining as well.

Look at the number of patches both Apple and Microsoft put out. Patches for the MAC are many more than Windows, it's just they don't make a as big a deal over them.

It's all a result of the need for speed they we as consumers require. Bigger, better, newer faster.

My 2 cents!
post #2076 of 5059 Old 04-18-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodite View Post

Some random shots I took last night (HL61A750)

Pirates III (Blu-Ray)

Walk Hard trailer (downloaded from PSN store)

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds: Live from Radio City Music Hall (Blu-Ray)

MLB 08 The Show (PS3)

For the gamers out there, I'll be playing some Xbox 360 today and will take some shots.

hey can you please play halo2 in team snipe and check for lag when you scope in for a kill.and a pic of cod4 would be nice thanks for your time
post #2077 of 5059 Old 04-18-2008, 05:54 PM

Liked: 12
Does anyone know what was causing the power reset to occur. Has the firmware fixed this. It must have cause no one who has installed the latest firmware has complained of the power reset.
post #2078 of 5059 Old 04-18-2008, 06:03 PM

The Samsung technician came out today to repair the hourglass bowing on our 750. The Samsung spec is if it is within 7mm then it is okay. The technician put up a grid through the service menu and ours was right around 6-7 mm on the sides and had a left to right upward slant of about 6mm. Since I can still return to CC, he suggested doing that rather than trying to repair. The slant can be fixed by rotating something, but the tech was not sure it would make it better. The bowing is not fixable - he said it was unit specific and was due to the cabinet. Some units have bowing, some don't. He said I should check out the unit in the store before taking home. According to the tech, if the bowing is not present when first using the TV, then absent any damage to the cabinet it will not occur later.

I will return the existing set, but not sure I want to go through the possible bowing issue once again with another 750. Other than the bowing and slant (which are both very apparent once you notice it) the picture is awesome. The technician agreed the picture was outstanding. I may get the new 58" Samsung plasma instead of the 750.
post #2079 of 5059 Old 04-18-2008, 07:24 PM

I decided the tilt on my third A750 was also to much. I brought it back to Circuit City. They opened another box and it also had tilt. I checked their floor model. It had no tilt and very little bowing. So I bought the floor model since it couldn't have been on the floor to long (260hrs via service menu) and they exchanged it at open box price. I brought it home and added the firmware. I noticed when I registered the latest tv that you can now download the firmware from the product support page, which is good for future firmware updates since we wont have to call.

If your not happy with your picture, exchange why you can. I was impressed that Circuit City was willing to unbox a tv and hook it up just to check the image.
post #2080 of 5059 Old 04-18-2008, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinrSavdByGrace View Post

hey can you please play halo2 in team snipe and check for lag when you scope in for a kill.and a pic of cod4 would be nice thanks for your time

Yes, I would love to know this too. Team snipe or shotty snipers is a great way to test if your set has any input lag. Or another way to test is hook up your PC and just move the mouse around... you can tell pretty easily if your lagging slightly behind or not. Anyone out there??

I just bought an A3000 which was reported to be fairly lag free. It's better than my XBR2 but it's still a bit off when I play my CRT. I would say input lag is in the 20-25ms range but it's enough it's still bothering me. Im inside my return period for Best Buy (about 6 days to go) and am heavily considering swapping out for the A750.

The A3000 is a great set but I am a little dissapointed how soft the picture is. I have seen the A750 in the stores and to me it had a bit more "pop"... im sure this has to do with the fact the colors are oversatured but I personally like that look "natural" or not. I may take my 360 over to Best Buy tomorrow sometime late and hook up my 360 to the 750 and see if I can test for input lag.

A couple things im concerned about...

1. I hear the XV color is only available in "movie" mode. That's not good... if the PS3 ever comes out with any XV games (any coming at all?) is game mode available in "movie" mode? I know that no BR movies currently support it either... maybe it's still a couple years out..

2. Contrast... is it really that poor? It seems reviews are mixed on here.. I realize a lot of folks say the set is dim but I completely disagree from what I witnessed in BB.. it looked plenty bright to me.

3. PIP... can I use my cable box to output cable to the RF input and use PIP while using HDMI? Is that analog or digital and will it work past this year?

All the other problems... bowing... geometry... are stuff that can be fixed if you take the set back IMO.
post #2081 of 5059 Old 04-19-2008, 03:12 AM

Glad the FW is up on their site now, but if I'm not having any problems, I shouldn't bother at this point right? If it ain't broke.....
post #2082 of 5059 Old 04-19-2008, 06:26 AM

Anyone who makes the mistake of selecting calibration in the service menu without the proper pattern on the screen will destroy picture colors (I did). To recover you need to display a 8X8 black and white checkerboard pattern and select calibrate again (picture may be better than it was before).

I found the pattern in Calman Pattern Generator (Brightness/Contrast Tab).

There is also a site describing further calibration in previous Samsung DLPs @
http://www.sencore.com/newsletter/Ju...RPTVwhtbal.htm
post #2083 of 5059 Old 04-19-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferbradbest View Post

Does anyone know what was causing the power reset to occur. Has the firmware fixed this. It must have cause no one who has installed the latest firmware has complained of the power reset.

A level two tech I spoke with about a week and a half ago mentioned that the power cycling issue with their 2008 LCD's was due to a "voltage issue" which was corrected via firmware. Not sure if there is any commonality there...

While I still think it is too early to say with 100% accurary that the issue has been fixed, I have made it through six hours of Blu-Ray playback (1920x1080 24Hz - the resolution I had problems at before) now w/o a power cycle.

When I was having problems (before the firmware), I had three power cycles in the first seven hours of Blu-Ray viewing, and no power cycles in the last four.
post #2084 of 5059 Old 04-19-2008, 09:44 AM

Location: Wherever the Army sends me. Currently: Fort Bragg, NC
How do you check the amount of viewing hours on the 750?
post #2085 of 5059 Old 04-19-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD44 View Post

A level two tech I spoke with about a week and a half ago mentioned that the power cycling issue with their 2008 LCD's was due to a "voltage issue" which was corrected via firmware. Not sure if there is any commonality there...

While I still think it is too early to say with 100% accurary that the issue has been fixed, I have made it through six hours of Blu-Ray playback (1920x1080 24Hz - the resolution I had problems at before) now w/o a power cycle.

When I was having problems (before the firmware), I had three power cycles in the first seven hours of Blu-Ray viewing, and no power cycles in the last four.

I've watched 3 blu-rays since updating without the power cycling.
post #2086 of 5059 Old 04-19-2008, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post

Or another way to test is hook up your PC and just move the mouse around... you can tell pretty easily if your lagging slightly behind or not. Anyone out there??

A couple things im concerned about...

1. I hear the XV color is only available in "movie" mode. That's not good... if the PS3 ever comes out with any XV games (any coming at all?) is game mode available in "movie" mode? I know that no BR movies currently support it either... maybe it's still a couple years out..

2. Contrast... is it really that poor? It seems reviews are mixed on here.. I realize a lot of folks say the set is dim but I completely disagree from what I witnessed in BB.. it looked plenty bright to me.

3. PIP... can I use my cable box to output cable to the RF input and use PIP while using HDMI? Is that analog or digital and will it work past this year?

No lag noticed on a HTPC hooked up to DVI-HDMI input. I haven't noticed any on 360 hooked up to VGA or component either, but I haven't done a ton of gaming yet. I think Samsung took care of this issue long ago, is there a reason it keeps coming up in posts asking about it? I didn't have the issue in my 1st gen DLP and don't have it here. I think it popped up in one version years ago but that is long past isn't it?

On your others:
1)"XV color" on Movie only--no big deal, you can fully adjust the settings in that mode to make it have the same settings as any other mode AFAIK.
2)Contrast/brightness (what you describe is brightness not contrast isn't it?) again I don't agree. I don't think most people that have had this complaint have actually had it in their homes. I have a bright room and it never washes out.
3)If you have analog cable, I guess you can do that for PIP. I only have antenna so it is worthless to me since it won't even use the ATSC tuner. What a bogus feature to even offer if it is that crippled. Luckily I don't care too much for PIP and would prefer 2nd monitor anyway.

Matt
post #2087 of 5059 Old 04-19-2008, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlane View Post

How do you check the amount of viewing hours on the 750?

Its easy to find in the service menu.

Matt
post #2088 of 5059 Old 04-20-2008, 07:29 AM

Location: Wherever the Army sends me. Currently: Fort Bragg, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

Its easy to find in the service menu.

Thanks. I haven't received my TV yet but wanted to check the hours to make sure I didn't get a used set. I also don't want to dig around in the service menu and jack something up but if it's easy to navigate, I'll check it out.
post #2089 of 5059 Old 04-20-2008, 09:02 AM

Does the 650/750 have a power saving feature where the TV shuts off after a certain amount of time where it recieves no signal? How long is that time frame, and I'm assuming it's the reason for the power cycling issue?
post #2090 of 5059 Old 04-20-2008, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Folks,

I'm bent on getting this 61a750 but I need advice from experts in this forum. I'm thinking of placing the TV on our Sun room with 4 windows on the right side. Also, will this tv be ok for daily/normal viewing?

Thanks a lot!
post #2091 of 5059 Old 04-20-2008, 10:19 AM

I have 5 windows in my family room located 20 ft in front of the tv. This thing has no brightness issues at all. I talked to a hhgregg rep in my area. he told me most of these tv's look different at home because at the store the signal input to the tv is split too many times. This tv defintly looks completely different to me at home, extremely sharp, extemely bright picture. I find i have to turn the led's down at night to min to med to avoid hurting mhy eyes during bright scenes. So to make a long story short your windows should not cause a problem.
post #2092 of 5059 Old 04-20-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1pid7 View Post

Folks,

I'm bent on getting this 61a750 but I need advice from experts in this forum. I'm thinking of placing the TV on our Sun room with 4 windows on the right side. Also, will this tv be ok for daily/normal viewing?

Thanks a lot!

We have three 5'h x 3'w windows on the western wall in our great room (17' x 17') - the only window treatments are cellular blinds at the moment. In our kitchen (connected to the great room - pretty open floor plan) is a sliding glass door on the west wall which also brings in a good deal of light. The TV is placed on the south wall.

I would say you should be ok w/ respect to lighting. The A750 replaced an older Hitachi RPTV that had a very light reflective screen. Mid-day viewing, esp. when the sun was directly in the line of sight thru the windows, was a little difficult w/ the Hitachi - haven't had any problems with the Samsung.
post #2093 of 5059 Old 04-20-2008, 11:02 AM

well, i went through two diff 750's. thought the picture was ok, but no real "pop" for me. decided i had enough of the probs so i went with the 650. good thing cause it blows the 750 out of the water, imho. picture looks so much better also no menu lag which i hated with the 750. not sure if the firmware update corrected this or not, but it really bothered me. if your on the fence about which one to pick up i would go 650. ive had both at home and the clear winner is the 650
post #2094 of 5059 Old 04-20-2008, 11:30 AM

I just brought home my new 61750 but I've got a couple of questions.

When setting the xbox 360 to 1080p it flickers on and off and eventually says "mode not supported". I haven't seen these issues at 720p and was wondering if anyone had any clue what the problem could be.

Also, how do I access the 120hz setting. I assume it's "film mode" but it is never selectable for me. I'll admit I haven't studied the manual thoroughly yet but the manual simply says to activate film mode.

Any help on either of these would be greatly appreciated.
post #2095 of 5059 Old 04-20-2008, 12:39 PM

just curious does anyone have any BB or CC 10% off codes or any codes at all... im thinking of getting one this week, the 750 that is... im a little concerned with bowing that you all talk about, the instore model in my area doesnt seem to have this issue while playing HD DVD transformers... im just worried with my luck the tv i do end up getting will have some crap bowing
post #2096 of 5059 Old 04-20-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman461 View Post

I just brought home my new 61750 but I've got a couple of questions.

When setting the xbox 360 to 1080p it flickers on and off and eventually says "mode not supported". I haven't seen these issues at 720p and was wondering if anyone had any clue what the problem could be.

Also, how do I access the 120hz setting. I assume it's "film mode" but it is never selectable for me. I'll admit I haven't studied the manual thoroughly yet but the manual simply says to activate film mode.

Any help on either of these would be greatly appreciated.

Are you running the 360 through a reciever or directly to the tv. Older gen recievers don't support 1080p. I had the same problem until I connected directly to the tv via componet cables.
post #2097 of 5059 Old 04-20-2008, 02:00 PM

I"m running the 360 directly into the tv via component cables. I've read about others having issues at 1080p using component so it looks like I'm in the same boat. What is the fix though? Firmware or HDMI cables? The PQ is fantastic but this is a little troubling running into this issue the first day.

Nevermind my other question about 120hz. I've read through this entire thread finally and received my answer about 50 pages ago.
post #2098 of 5059 Old 04-20-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:

I"m running the 360 directly into the tv via component cables. I've read about others having issues at 1080p using component so it looks like I'm in the same boat. What is the fix though? Firmware or HDMI cables? The PQ is fantastic but this is a little troubling running into this issue the first day.

Nevermind my other question about 120hz. I've read through this entire thread finally and received my answer about 50 pages ago.

so instead of saying 1920x1080 24 it will say 1920x1080 120? How so
post #2099 of 5059 Old 04-20-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinj229 View Post

so instead of saying 1920x1080 24 it will say 1920x1080 120? How so

I can't remember what page it was on but it was explained that the tv itself runs at 120hz at all times. It's not something you can adjust. I was getting it confused with Sony's Motionflow playback. It still says 1920X1080 60 since I don't have anything that playsback 24p currently. My brother is bringing his PS3 over tonight and we're going to the 24p out on that.

I'm still having the issues with 1080p using component on the xbox 360. It happens immediately when switched to it and eventually the screen blanks out saying "mode not supported." Would HDMI solve this?
post #2100 of 5059 Old 04-20-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:

I'm still having the issues with 1080p using component on the xbox 360. It happens immediately when switched to it and eventually the screen blanks out saying "mode not supported." Would HDMI solve this?

I was having issues w/ 1080p over component on the XBox 360 too, though not quite like what you describe. I would have frequent "screen blanks" where the TV screen would go blank (as if it was adjusting resolutions) for a few seconds and then come back on. Sometimes this would repeat several times in a row and made playing any games impossible...at 1080i I had no such problems.

I tested with an HDMI cable @ 1080p and everything ran fine for approximately an hour and a half.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page