2008 Samsung DLP's Discussion (HLxxA650/A750) - Page 71 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2101 of 5060 Old 04-20-2008, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you uploaded the new firmware upgrade? I don't think it's meant to fix the problems that we are having but I was curious if you had and whether you've noticed any results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 5060 Old 04-20-2008, 05:24 PM

Liked: 12
i thought i would mention, i went to my local bestbuy, they didnt have the tv on display so i made them open teh box and put it out and hook it up to blu ray... while watching full screen, you cant see any bowing.. but while the black strips are there, if you really look for it, you will see it.. but honestly, its nothing you wouldnt get used to within 3 min seriously...

anyway then i went to my local circuit city, the CC display model had minimal if any bowing, so i think it really just just depend on what set you receive..

again keep in mind you have to REALLY look for this bowing, and your mind will block it out in no more than 5 min

also this model was up next to last years LED model, and to all of you that say its no different, you are wrong.. it is SLIGHTLY brighter, and i feel the colors are better fit =)

to thoes of you who have it, make sue you have 1.3 hdmi cables, helps with the deep colors among other things
post #2103 of 5060 Old 04-20-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynow_ View Post

well, i went through two diff 750's. thought the picture was ok, but no real "pop" for me. decided i had enough of the probs so i went with the 650. good thing cause it blows the 750 out of the water, imho. picture looks so much better also no menu lag which i hated with the 750. not sure if the firmware update corrected this or not, but it really bothered me. if your on the fence about which one to pick up i would go 650. ive had both at home and the clear winner is the 650

In what ways is the 650 better?
post #2104 of 5060 Old 04-20-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrist256 View Post

The Samsung technician came out today to repair the hourglass bowing on our 750. The Samsung spec is if it is within 7mm then it is okay. The technician put up a grid through the service menu and ours was right around 6-7 mm on the sides and had a left to right upward slant of about 6mm. Since I can still return to CC, he suggested doing that rather than trying to repair. The slant can be fixed by rotating something, but the tech was not sure it would make it better. The bowing is not fixable - he said it was unit specific and was due to the cabinet. Some units have bowing, some don't. He said I should check out the unit in the store before taking home. According to the tech, if the bowing is not present when first using the TV, then absent any damage to the cabinet it will not occur later.

I will return the existing set, but not sure I want to go through the possible bowing issue once again with another 750. Other than the bowing and slant (which are both very apparent once you notice it) the picture is awesome. The technician agreed the picture was outstanding. I may get the new 58" Samsung plasma instead of the 750.

We returned the 750 today to Circuit City and exchanged for a Sony rear projection 60A3000 that was an open box (floor model) that was in excellent condition and had no bowing - I measured as someone on this forum suggested. Before exchanging we also checked out the 750 on display and, while it had less bowing than the one we returned, felt the cabinet was a bit sturdier on the Sony. Also, looked at the Samsung and Panasonic plasma, but didn't like the pictures as much and the room where the TV will go is loaded with windows. All the plasmas I can afford have too much glare.

So far so good with the Sony. Picture is about the same as Samsung, but is not LED and we will eventually have to change the bulb. Since it was a floor model of a discontinued item, the Sony ended up being about a grand less. I am not complaining with a deal like that.
post #2105 of 5060 Old 04-20-2008, 08:10 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens with our bowing on Tuesday. Samsung is sending a tech out to fix it. They said they have already ordered the parts from Samsung and guarantee that they can fix the bowing problem in our home. If they cannot fix it, we will return the TV. Although it is not totally noticeable, it is a feature that I fixate on (now that I see it) and it drives me crazy. I would rather use my old HD Hitachi (53) rptv that we are now storing in case we have to take this one back. The Samsung is thinner and the picture quality is awesome, but that bowing is too much. Please let me know if anyone else has been able to get their bowing fixed. The post above does not provide much hope.
post #2106 of 5060 Old 04-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7777 View Post

In what ways is the 650 better?

Picture Quality, brightness, viewing angles

The 2 reasons to own LED are you see Rainbows or you just hate the idea of a bulb/color wheel. PQ however is not one of them.

That said both sets have a fine picture its just some of think the 650 is better.
post #2107 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 01:50 AM

I have been monitoring this thread and prior years for about a year. Seriously considering the HL61A750 but in no hurry and want to hear more reviews and any issues.

However I am getting more excited about a less known gem that is getting lots of great reviews here on AVS and most recently Editors Choice in PC Mag.

It is the Westinghouse TX-52F480S LCD TV which is wall mountable for only $1499 (Big River). Since my seating area is only 9 feet from screen I have been hesitant about 61" - currently have a 32" Samsung LCD very much like but would like larger eventually.

Not to change the topic of this thread but some of you may be interested and here are the links:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13686724
Posted by: Sunnie
On: 04-20-08 09:25 AM
Interesting review:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2283052,00.asp
post #2108 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
9 foot viewing distance is no problem for a 61" screen. Heck, that's almost ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Phoenix View Post

I have been monitoring this thread and prior years for about a year. Seriously considering the HL61A750 but in no hurry and want to hear more reviews and any issues.

However I am getting more excited about a less known gem that is getting lots of great reviews here on AVS and most recently Editors Choice in PC Mag.

It is the Westinghouse TX-52F480S LCD TV which is wall mountable for only $1499 (Big River). Since my seating area is only 9 feet from screen I have been hesitant about 61" - currently have a 32" Samsung LCD very much like but would like larger eventually.

Not to change the topic of this thread but some of you may be interested and here are the links:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13686724
Posted by: Sunnie
On: 04-20-08 09:25 AM
Interesting review:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2283052,00.asp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Service menu tweak info in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Mike.
post #2109 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 07:14 AM

Anyone get this thing working 100% with switching inputs on the Harmony 880 remote?
post #2110 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 07:40 AM

Yes. At first, I reduced the power-on delay from 28s to 8s. This is how much time the Harmony waits, after turning on the TV, to send it an input-change command. I found that it wasn't enough time, and increased from 8s to 12s. All my activities are problem-free now.
post #2111 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 07:45 AM

Now I am starting to get that not-so-good feeling about this TV.

All of these issues, and two weeks after it was out, CC cut the price by 200. Now, I check again this morning, and the price is back up. What gives? Do they think that since there is a patch to fix ONE of the problems that it's now worth retail?
post #2112 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Heck - I sit 8 feet from 65" and want a 73". With a good DLP you have no SDE and minimal SSE. If you want the cinema feel it works great.
post #2113 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 08:39 AM

Anyone know the power consumption of the 56" & 61" 650 DLPs with the color wheels? I hope they don't consume more than 250 watts when on. That Westinghouse is at over 450 typical watts according to Crutchfield!!!

Also, I remember someone mentioning an online extended warranty vendor here on AVS that offers better service for less money than what B&M stores charge. Can someone link me to him or his threads?
post #2114 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post

Anyone know the power consumption of the 56" & 61" 650 DLPs with the color wheels? I hope they don't consume more than 250 watts when on. That Westinghouse is at over 300.

Also, I remember someone mentioning an online extended warranty vendor here on AVS that offers better service for less money than what B&M stores charge. Can someone link me to him or his threads?

For EW: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ended+warranty
post #2115 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am awaiting a 650, will post some things tonight If I can. BTW, I made what I hope is not a crucial mistake. I bought from a online retailer with a special return policy. When I called they said I could turn the thing on and refuse delivery If there was anything wrong so I figured I could recognize slant and bowing better than anyone. Now they are telling me I CANNOT open it. I have to deal with Samsung on this.

I am so angry at myself because I really do my research but I was told something different once it was shipped. Retailer was b u y.com

I suggest NOT ordering from them.
post #2116 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post

Yes. At first, I reduced the power-on delay from 28s to 8s. This is how much time the Harmony waits, after turning on the TV, to send it an input-change command. I found that it wasn't enough time, and increased from 8s to 12s. All my activities are problem-free now.

However the issue I find is that the input menu (since there is no direct input button) you have to scroll through. I guess if I use the harmony enough it will understand but if you have more than one input used on the TV (component and hdmi) it could cause problems.
post #2117 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogeek View Post

All of these issues, and two weeks after it was out, CC cut the price by 200. Now, I check again this morning, and the price is back up. What gives? Do they think that since there is a patch to fix ONE of the problems that it's now worth retail?

I'm happy with my purchase now that the firmware fixed the TV power down issue. I have no noticible geometry issues and the people who do are getting replacements.

I wouldn't judge the sales at a circuit city as the basis for the quality of a TV.
post #2118 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Uhh... there are discrete codes, so you can select the input directly with your harmony remote. No need to scroll through a list of inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodex View Post

However the issue I find is that the input menu (since there is no direct input button) you have to scroll through. I guess if I use the harmony enough it will understand but if you have more than one input used on the TV (component and hdmi) it could cause problems.

- Mike.
post #2119 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman461 View Post

Have you uploaded the new firmware upgrade? I don't think it's meant to fix the problems that we are having but I was curious if you had and whether you've noticed any results.

Yes, I did install the new firmware specifically for the power cycle issues. I have not tested the XBox w/ component since the firmware, as I picked up another HDMI cable to use for the 360 instead of the component hookups.

Post #1977 indicates that there may still be issues with 1080p over component with the the 360 even after the firmware update.
post #2120 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro View Post

Uhh... there are discrete codes, so you can select the input directly with your harmony remote. No need to scroll through a list of inputs.

How would one select these or train buttons for that so I can do that when selecting activities?
post #2121 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Anyone get this thing working 100% with switching inputs on the Harmony 880 remote?

I have the 750 and a Harmony 659 and have no problems with inputs. Using 2 HDMI & 1 component. I'm using 10s.
post #2122 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How would one select these or train buttons for that so I can do that when selecting activities?

It's just one of the options, I think in the initial setup wizard. Don't say that your need to select your input from a list or something like that. I'm not in front of it, can't say for certain now, but there is definitely a way to do it. play around with it and see if you can figure it out, or call Harmony. Makes life much simpler.

- Mike.
post #2123 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

Heck - I sit 8 feet from 65" and want a 73". With a good DLP you have no SDE and minimal SSE. If you want the cinema feel it works great.

I agree with you. I set 10ft from a 61 and wouldn't mind a bigger screen.
post #2124 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I programed the 'Source' button (I'm think that's what you're referring to as 'Input') to one of the buttons at the top. You'll need to use the device button and select the TV for5 those options.
post #2125 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogeek View Post

I've had mine for two weeks and not had the power issues. The bowing that exists is minuscule, you'd REALLY have to be looking for it to see it, and not worth having a service tech come out or do an exchange. The PQ is amazing, and viewing angles are very good for all seating in our great room. Unless something happens further down the line this is definitely a keeper. Maybe you should have jumped on it when it was on sale.
post #2126 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry View Post

I am awaiting a 650, will post some things tonight If I can. BTW, I made what I hope is not a crucial mistake. I bought from a online retailer with a special return policy. When I called they said I could turn the thing on and refuse delivery If there was anything wrong so I figured I could recognize slant and bowing better than anyone. Now they are telling me I CANNOT open it. I have to deal with Samsung on this.

I am so angry at myself because I really do my research but I was told something different once it was shipped. Retailer was b u y.com

I had considered that site when I was looking at the LCD I purchased, but decided not to because -

As listed on their web site:

Special Returns Policy
Manufacturer Only Returns (Direct Returns)

Due to manufacturer's policies, certain items sold on our website may only be returned directly to the manufacturer. Such items are so marked on the website.

Contact the manufacturer directly to arrange the return. Be prepared to provide the manufacturer with the following information: Date of purchase, Serial number, manufacturer part number.

A list of manufacturer contacts is available if you need to return a product directly to the manufacturer.

Same thing listed for the 650

post #2127 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry View Post

I love them, but would never buy a RPTV from them. I might buy a TV from big river. The price would have to be fantastic to go anywhere else.

Just too much of a crap shoot on the issues mentioned in this thread. If you are set on buying online from a place without a B&M presence to help you out I'd suggest plasma or LCD, or a projector.

That being said, I'm sure you would eventually get satisfaction from Samsung if you needed to.

Matt
post #2128 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ACTony View Post

I programed the 'Source' button (I'm think that's what you're referring to as 'Input') to one of the buttons at the top. You'll need to use the device button and select the TV for5 those options.

It has discrete inputs and Harmony has known the codes for years (basically the same for all DLPs except the very first HLMs). You don't have to do anything except program the Harmony correctly and you can use every input discretely on the TV-no workaround or remote training needed.

This is probably covered in every Samsung DLP thread here, including this one. If you don't want to search, just call Harmony/Logitech. Their support can't be beat.

You said earlier you had it working, so maybe this doesn't apply to you. I was confused by your response above.

Matt
post #2129 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 01:23 PM

Guys i know it or any cant accept 120hz but does the HL61A750 display a framerate of 120hz or 60hz?I need to know this soon as i am contmplating returning my smear fest 52xbr4 for this tv.Also any links with proof would be appreciated.Ive heard its 60hz and at best buy it says 120hz but every where else is listed at 60hz framerate.
post #2130 of 5060 Old 04-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Liked: 12
the 750 is not 120hz like your thinking of it, itsa misprint, it doesnt look like LCD 120hz atleast.. ive seen a few of them in store, one which was just opened.. but just on a personal note, i dont like the way the 120hz looks, it looks too soap ophera style to me, but when you play blu ray on ps3, you can get the 24fps, so its pretty smooth most definitely

again on a personal note, i wouldnt buy a tv based on the 120hz, but thats just me becuase i dont like how it flows smooth like real life, makes the movie seem more fake to me.

im selling my old 40in lcd tonight actually and getting the 750 hopefully tomorrow. Im just hoping the bowing is tolerable
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page