2008 Samsung DLP's Discussion (HLxxA650/A750) - Page 72 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2131 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Idk if best buy.com has them at 120hz then i would think that it does the 120hz framerate at least.People who say its 60hz mean what it accepts but i think anyways it takes the 60hz and shows a framerate of 120hz right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 02:01 PM

Liked: 10
Did the Crutchfield deal with the free Samsung stand.

The Stand is alright. It looks good but when it's setup for 61" TVs, the glass on the shelves doesn't extend out all the way, making you lose some valuable space for components. I'm sure I could have found a better stand but I can't complain when it was free.

Had the TV for three days and had around 2 power-offs a day. Also had the sound bug where the TV mute resets. Also noticed some slight slanting but not enough for me to freak out. I then installed the firmware update and since have had no power cycles, no sound bugs.

Now for what will be hotly debated for a long time to come. Picture Quality. The reason for confusion is that there are so many freaking settings.
As for Brightness, the main brightness setting actually only affects brightness slightly. The setting that drastically changes things is the LED Control. On Auto and High, I nearly burned my eyes out and had to go to the eye doctor. I still can't find the perfect settings but since most of my viewing is at night, I decided to find a less eye straining mode with good contrast. Here are my settings, they are not final or professional. I am looking for feedback and help since not many people have posted their settings.

Picture:
Movie Mode
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50 (if you turn up too high, it washes out picture, use LED control to make major changes to brightness)
Sharp: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 53/47

Detailed Settings:
Black Adjust: off (don't even know what this does)
Dynamic Contrast: off (washed picture out when messing with this setting)
LED Control: Medium ( a good medium ground setting )
Gama = 3
White/Flesh = 0
Edge Enhancement = ON (most people turn this off but it made a nice difference and didn't make the picture look worse. If you disagree, please give me examples of when it ruins the picture)
xydcc = ON for PS3, Xbox 360 --- OFF for normal TV viewing

Picture Options:
Warm 1
DR/DNIE = OFF
Film mode = OFF
Black = On inputs where you can adjust, set to LOW, otherwise NORMAL
Gamut = Wide for all inputs using xydcc and sRGB for everything else
*note that with the Xbox 360 3D mode does show up. In the future this is where the 120h will come into play. With special glasses and 3d ready games, two people would be able to see their own screen at the same time.

I tested these settings at night on: Wii using Component; PS3 using HDMI with games, PS3 using HDMI @24h for Blu-Ray; Xbox 360 using HDMI for games and HD-DVD, Series 3 Tivo using HDMI for HD sports, Motorola Comcast Receiver using component for HD programming. I must say that I was pretty blown away especially with Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix on Blu-Ray and ESPN and ABC HD coverage of NBA Playoffs. I'm very pleased but know there is room for improvement after more people post settings.

In conclusion this TV when you play around with the settings easily rivals Plasma for half the price. Also, go read the Plasma and LCD forums. There are problems like Burn-in, Loud Whining coming from the TV, High power Consumption, and Glare. All new generation TVs have their own set of problems.

As for SSE, I'm sure people complaining about this are sitting in tiny apartments 4 feet away from their TV. You need to be further like 8-10 feet away. I hate bugs but love the fact the firmware can be updated. Not being able to do PIP with 2 HDMI or Component inputs is disappointing but are there any TVs capable of this? The only problem left for me is the slight slanting of the picture when there are black bars. I am going to measure it and look more into that but honestly it's not enough to make me want to return the set. I feel bad for the average customer that doesn't know about firmware updates and message forums, but oh well at least I can be happy
post #2133 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionj View Post

Dynamic Contrast: off (washed picture out when messing with this setting)
Edge Enhancement = ON (most people turn this off but it made a nice difference and didn't make the picture look worse. If you disagree, please give me examples of when it ruins the picture)

Since Dynamic Contrast changes all of the video levels I think you need to set this first and adjust the other settings around it. Presumably High would give you the greatest punch (what most are looking for). Regarding EE it creates rings around dark objects next to light ones. If you happen to watch golf you'll see white lines around the golfers and the flag sticks for example. For details see here...

http://www.videophile.info/Guide_EE/Page_01.htm

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #2134 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

I guess I cursed myself, 650 came. I have 1/2" slant and hourglass bowing on 4:3 sources. Well at least thats where you see it. I cant believe I was so stupid to take the word of a customer service person. I called Samsung and they said the slant can be fixed. I dont have bowing on the sides which is more distracting so hopefully I can get the slant fixed.

Picture is awesome though. I'll get some pics up later once I get some patterns on there as well as the Xbox 360.
post #2135 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if the discrete IR codes are the same as the old ones from the HLM/HLN series of TV's?

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal,
post #2136 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 05:06 PM

Wow... for all of the bad that has been thrown at Samsung with the power cycle issue, they called me back today to tell me that there was a patch and that they would send me the USB key. I'm guessing that this is based upon my first call a couple of weeks back. Looks like they were being a little more proactive than folks probably expected.
post #2137 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 05:47 PM

For all of you who has purchased the a750, would you do it again? Knowing everythinig you know about it now. Would you buy this set today? My new house will be done at the end of May. We should be moving in by the 30th. New house equals new TV. I have a few more weeks to make a decision, but I wanted to hear from some who already purchased.
Thanks
post #2138 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpp777 View Post

For all of you who has purchased the a750, would you do it again? Knowing everythinig you know about it now. Would you buy this set today? My new house will be done at the end of May. We should be moving in by the 30th. New house equals new TV. I have a few more weeks to make a decision, but I wanted to hear from some who already purchased.
Thanks

I have been watching this TV since April 8th with only once or twice blank screen issue. Upgraded firmware. We watch more movies ( DVD with samsung 1080P8 player) , NGC and Discovery channels. Waching Wizards NBA with DirectV HD receiver. No bowing is visible. We have played XBOX 360 games as well with component input.
I am more than happy. I have ONKYO SR800 HTS and everything is really amazing. I wanted to buy Sony 52XBR4 but price, size and PQ = 61a750.
post #2139 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrjim View Post

Does anyone know if the discrete IR codes are the same as the old ones from the HLM/HLN series of TV's?

Yes, except there are new inputs that weren't available then. I know at least some of them work because HLM upgraded firmware is what my Harmony remote was set to when I installed the 750 and some of the modes worked OOTB.

Matt
post #2140 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrist256 View Post

We returned the 750 today to Circuit City and exchanged for a Sony rear projection 60A3000 that was an open box (floor model) that was in excellent condition and had no bowing... So far so good with the Sony. Picture is about the same as Samsung, but is not LED and we will eventually have to change the bulb. Since it was a floor model of a discontinued item, the Sony ended up being about a grand less. I am not complaining with a deal like that.

Wow, same thing happened with me. Been following this thread from day one, hoping this Sammy would be all that so I could replace my 46" HLR from 2005.
Read about all the confusion on the 120Mhz, hassles with the power down, issues with the flimsy (less than before, but still an issue for some) case, constant bowing, etc... The list goes on.

Really felt I missed my chance on the KDS-60A3000 once it got discontinued. Here is a tv that had all the bells and whistles (120Mhz for sure, 24fps/1080p, 3 HDMI 1.3 ports, outstanding blacks, etc...) and all of this late last year!

Still planned on getting the 650 this summer when the price was around $1,700, but then I came across one of these beauties from Sony when I walked into my Circuit City this Friday. Came across a Sony KDS-60A3000 that they found in back and put out about three months ago. Was able to get it for $1,350! Guess they really wanted to dump it.

Yeah, Ive read about some problems on these models. How some of these SXRD models have problems with engine degradation, have a huge green shift, and lack of "just scan", but really, no more than I've read (and experienced with both of my friends recently returned HL61A650/750s) concerning these new Sammy's. Just like with these Samsungs, not all are like that.

The bulb has had plenty of use on it but WOW, what an amazing picture. Couldn't pass it up at that price and I already have a replacement bulb on the way. I figure $125 is worth what equates to a new A3000 since it still puts me under the 650's price (and a free stand thrown in!)

What luck!

QTH...MH
post #2141 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Thanks

I don't think you are going to find many people who knew what they were getting into giving up on this set. There are some in this thread who got discouraged by issues OOTB and didn't want to try to return, and others that tried multiple sets and had issues with each one.

The only thing I didn't expect being a 1st gen Samsung DLP owner was the power down issue but they already fixed that.

But yes I went through 2 sets. If you want perfection off the bat, you may be disappointed.

Matt
post #2142 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 06:17 PM

I have been reading this thread from day one. I do not expect perfection. I am pretty laid back so I would know going into it that there could be problems. At this point I am willing to accept it. I know I have a choice of the led or the bulb, but I am leaning towards the led. I guess my question should be, after all the bs, are you happy with your set.
post #2143 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 06:17 PM

Liked: 12
does anyone know the dimentions of the box... or where i can find that, i need to figure if it will fit in my mazda3 hatchback with the seats down, somehow im thinking no..
post #2144 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 06:24 PM

I don't own one yet, but from what I understand, you can not lay this tv on it's side. It must sit upright all the time. So I doubt it will fit in your Mazda.
post #2145 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

21" depth x 60" wide x 43" high - you can place it on its back just don't place it on its front as you might need to clean the inner screen or worse.

I had two in my house and I've looked at several in the store all of them via the service menu grid pattern and my tilt and focus is very good compared to the others. That being the case it appears to be a very nice set and produces a fine image. I like the idea of the LED engine for longevity as well as the reduced electrical usage.

It's plenty bright (for in-home usage) and works nicely with 24fps. With my current understanding there is no differences between it and last year's model? That being the case why not purchase last year's model at close out pricing?

| 
|
|
|
post #2146 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 06:47 PM

Last years model is another option I am exploring. I guess it all depends on what is in stock in 4 weeks.
post #2147 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 06:50 PM

the a750 is plenty bright enough. Its so bright that at night i either turn the brightness down or turn a lamp on to reduce eye strain. Dont let anyone tell you the a650 is better. I find em pretty equal. But if you wanna pay for a bulb every other year to get better brightness then go for the a650.
post #2148 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 PM

to you who said no difference between this and last years model.. i do not agree. I was at my local BB the other day and this was right next to last years model and i saw the following differences

definitely brighter, colors were slightly better, off angle viewing was better. Just thoes to name a few that i noticed in the time spent looking at them both
post #2149 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 07:05 PM

how can I check how many viewing hours on my 750? I did the mute 1 4 2 8 thing and nothing happened....
post #2150 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr4pixels View Post

Idk if best buy.com has them at 120hz then i would think that it does the 120hz framerate at least.People who say its 60hz mean what it accepts but i think anyways it takes the 60hz and shows a framerate of 120hz right?

My previous post (I really don't see why people think this is "confusing"):
Well, the way I understand how the chip works, it is always displaying pixels at 120hz, no matter what. (Could even be faster...don't think I've seen an official spec on the chip's capability.) They use this ability to allow for 60fps 3D display, if you have a compatible (and probably awfully fast) video card in your computer. When displaying a 24fps source, it just displays the same image 5 times. Some TVs artificially interpolate between frames to smooth out the 24fps to 120.

Quote:

For all of you who has purchased the a750, would you do it again? Knowing everythinig you know about it now. Would you buy this set today?

Yes, definitely. I probably could have paid a bit less, or shopped around, but I purchased the BB floor model before they could even unbox it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoeHammer117 View Post

Still planned on getting the 650 this summer when the price was around $1,700, but then I came across one of these beauties from Sony when I walked into my Circuit City this Friday. Came across a Sony KDS-60A3000 that they found in back and put out about three months ago. Was able to get it for $1,350! Guess they really wanted to dump it.

Yeah, Ive read about some problems on these models. How some of these SXRD models have problems with engine degradation, have a huge green shift, and lack of "just scan", but really, no more than I've read (and experienced with both of my friends recently returned HL61A650/750s) concerning these new Sammy's. Just like with these Samsungs, not all are like that.

I'm glad you got a good price...on a discontinued floor-model TV (well, TV line, really). With deeper blacks, LED engine with no color wheel, Just Scan, more stylish case (IMO), and a continued commitment to RPTVs, I decided to go with the Samsung. I had one reset, but I updated the firmware, and haven't tested the issue. Does Sony even offer the ability to update the firmware? I have barely noticeable bowing and no slanting. Like you said, not all of them have issues. Maybe I'm just lucky...or perhaps I'm more tolerant to nit-picking.

The only thing I feel like Samsung skips out on is the analog-only PIP capability, but that is a minor complaint. My 32" Vizio has near-complete support for PIP on all sources, as long as you don't use the same source type (can't use to ATSC sources, or two HDMI sources at the same time). I can't speak for Sony's PIP support, as I quit following SXRDs with their green-blob issues and discontinuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothjm View Post

does anyone know the dimentions of the box... or where i can find that, i need to figure if it will fit in my mazda3 hatchback with the seats down, somehow im thinking no..

The HL61A750 will not fit in your Mazda. Trust me. It is 42" tall, about 60" long, and like 20" wide. My wife's SUV only had 32" clearance height in the back...it may have fit if unboxed, but I wouldn't risk it. It should not be laid on either side. You could get dust on either the screen or the projection lens. It's not really heavy, but you will have to have another person help you move it. You should probably rent a truck, at least.
post #2151 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 07:28 PM

Liked: 11
anyone know if there is any type of screw which can adjust tilt on these?I saw in another post a guy said the 2007's had one so i would guess this 2008 must.Or anyone know how to access service menu and any tilt adjust there?
post #2152 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 07:36 PM

ya i took the tape measure out and im like hmmm maybe sideways??? but no not AT all

going tohave to get a truck and just sit back there with it to hold it upright.. hope its not that prone to being knocked over even if it is like 20 in wide, ( itll likely be an open back truck, yay )
post #2153 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothjm View Post

to you who said no difference between this and last years model.. i do not agree. I was at my local BB the other day and this was right next to last years model and i saw the following differences

definitely brighter, colors were slightly better, off angle viewing was better. Just thoes to name a few that i noticed in the time spent looking at them both

Were both sets calibrated... otherwise how could you judge them?

| 
|
|
|
post #2154 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, so here is a quick sum up of the 650 I received today. Number 1 difference in this years model is all the new settings/picture modes. Its very confusing how come options are available on some modes and not others. Its also confusing how my Directtv box coul access thing my 360 couldnt and vice versa. I am not really sure what xvYcc does but I can only get to it in Movie mode and only on the Directtv box.

The other difference is DNIe is only available in Dynamic mode. Thats fine as its a black crusher but still. Movie mode has access to most of the setting but its not made to pop, most people seeing it for the first time think its dull but its really the most accurate. All calibrators start in this mode. Im guessing I will live in Standard for TV/Sports, Dynamic for games and movie mode for movies.

I already reported my problems above. I have a pretty severe screen tilt. I have some bowing but not the usual smile one, this one is more hour glass in the middle which actually really isn't that bad. You cant notice it on viewing, just menus. The entire screen needs to be rotated 1/2" which I am guessing is a DMD adjustment in the light engine. I say this because out of the box the picture was also over to one side by more than 1/2" so it probably got knocked around in shipping. I'm not that worried since Samsung told me its just a service call to fix that.

The picture is dynamite and I had no lag playing Guitar Hero (HDMI) with no game mode.

One last thing, the set has been on all day and no power cycles. I know that seems to be a 750 thing but we still need to watch that. If anyone has any questions, just ask.
post #2155 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 PM

Amazon has these for $2099, looks like the best price around. Do any of the AVS sponsors have a special deal for members? Need to replace my HLS6187, thanks in advance.
post #2156 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 09:07 PM

I was wondering if there was a way to adjust the focus on the a750. By focus I'm meaning how, when you put a grid pattern on the screen you can start to see the white line in 3 different colors instead of one. Is there any way to adjust this or would the only way to do this be to swap for a new tv? When watching 1080p I SWEAR that the parts of the screen that are in perfect focus (bottom and center) are 100 times more clear than the parts that aren't (top and sides).
post #2157 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

ok, well I got bored and wanted to see Exactly what options were greyed out depending on the source. I swapped HDMI ports just to make sure it was port specific. I used an Xbox 360 Elite and a Samsung Directtv HR-21.

I will only highlight the differences:

Dynamic mode:
No detailed setting available
360 Directtv
Color Gamut Y Y
Film Mode N Y
HDMI Black Level Y N

Standard Mode:
Detailed menu is available
360 Directtv
Color Gamut Y Y
Film Mode N Y
HDMI Black Level Y N

Movie Mode:
360 Directtv
Color Gamut Y N
Film Mode N Y
HDMI Black Level Y N
XvYCC N Y

In general xvYCC is not available on anything but movie mode. Its curious how film mode is not available on the 360 even in movie mode. I first thought it was greyed out because it is automatically on but on the Directtv box I can set it to auto. If film mode is 3:2 mode then isnt it pointless in a 120hz display anyway?

Its also curious how the HR-21, which is new seems to support more modes. Can anyone with a PS3 go through these menus and see If you can post the different modes to match this list? I have not played with any of the entertainment modes, they are only presets anyway I thought. I could be wrong there.
post #2158 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonish View Post

I was wondering if there was a way to adjust the focus on the a750. By focus I'm meaning how, when you put a grid pattern on the screen you can start to see the white line in 3 different colors instead of one. Is there any way to adjust this or would the only way to do this be to swap for a new tv? When watching 1080p I SWEAR that the parts of the screen that are in perfect focus (bottom and center) are 100 times more clear than the parts that aren't (top and sides).

I noticed that too on the 650. I was going to ask the same thing myself. Anyone?
post #2159 of 5059 Old 04-21-2008, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonish View Post

I was wondering if there was a way to adjust the focus on the a750. By focus I'm meaning how, when you put a grid pattern on the screen you can start to see the white line in 3 different colors instead of one. Is there any way to adjust this or would the only way to do this be to swap for a new tv?

I believe it can't be adjusted and the focus is based on the light path of each primary color (reaching the screen).

If you view the service menu grid pattern and all three colors are within one pixel of each other across the entire screen you're doing very well... that's about as good as it gets. From the sets I have seen the focus tends to be off more as it you get to the outer sides of the image.

Every set is like a snow flake such that no two are alike. Being an old DLP front projector guy I tend to judge it this way... if you can see color fringe on small text from your seating distance it's an issue and might be worth swapping for.

| 
|
|
|
post #2160 of 5059 Old 04-22-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Were both sets calibrated... otherwise how could you judge them?

indeed, both were set to storemode, and dynamic contrast, i went into the menu of each... go see for yourself, this is just my opinion im getting my 750 tues or wed of this week
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page