2008 Samsung DLP's Discussion (HLxxA650/A750) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5059 Old 01-06-2008, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Samsung announced to world on Jan 6th its 2008 series of DLP displays.

The Series 6 DLP HDTVs include the models HL50A650 (50 inches), HL56A650 (56 inches), HL61A650 (61 inches) and HL72A650 (72 inches).

The Series 7 LED DLP HDTVs include the HL61A750 (61 inches) and HL67A750 (67 inches - expected June 2008).

Press Links:
Gizmoto - Samsung Sticks With Rear-Screen Projectors, Shows New Series 6 and 7 Sets
Engadget HD - Samsung sticks by RPTV, intros HL67A750A / HL56A650A

Luminus - Luminus Devices Previews Third Generation of LED-Powered DLP® HDTVs from Samsung's 2008 Line-Up
Hometechanswers - Samsung Series 6 DLP HDTV - 4 New Models for 2008
Hometechanswers - Samsung Series 7 LED DLP HDTV - 2 New Models for 2008

Vendor text
SAMSUNG'S NEW DLP HDTVS LEAD THE WAY WITH IMPROVED FUNCTIONALITY, ENERGY EFFICIENCY AND LOWER COST OF OWNERSHIP
Commitment to Advanced LED Technology and Enhanced Connectivity Make the New DLP™ HDTV Line-up a Remarkable Consumer Value

LAS VEGAS, January 6, 2008 - Expanding on last year's introduction of the world's first 3D-ready DLP HDTVs, Samsung Electronics continues its commitment to offering consumers choice, value, leading product designs and innovation within the DLP HDTV category by announcing its 2008 ―Series 6 and 7‖ line-up today. With a strategic focus on product performance and design, cost of ownership and energy efficiency, Samsung enters 2008 with excitement and vigor in regards to the company's leading position in the DLP category.

The new Series 6 and Series 7 DLP HDTVs offer consumers increased value while integrating innovative features that lead Samsung's portfolio of Micro Display and Flat Panel HDTV offerings for 2008. The Series 6 and 7 DLP HDTVs not only feature larger screens and Full HD 1080p clarity for sports, movies and gaming, they also offer the latest in networking and 3D technologies. Samsung's DLP HDTV lineup will be on display at Booth #11033 during the International Consumer Electronics Show held at the Las Vegas Convention Center, January 7 through 10.

Samsung is steadfastly committed to remaining a leader in the DLP space in 2008 and beyond with a strong investment in product development fueling the consistent introduction of innovative and affordable DLP HDTVs,‖ said Steve Panosian, director of Visual Display Marketing at Samsung Electronics America.

Building on the success of our innovative technology, we've incorporated several new upgrades, such as WiseLink 2.0 (USB) and HDMI V1.3 for enhanced connectivity, allowing consumers to access a wide range of content through their TVs. In addition, DLP has been proven to be an energy efficient HDTV category, and Samsung continues to focus on making DLP the most energy efficient possible.

Consumers will also enjoy a total 3-D experience, with the finest in sound and picture resolution,‖ added Panosian.

The 2008 6 and 7 series DLP TV will feature built-in 3-D technology and entertainment modes that automatically optimize both audio and video quality to deliver the best movie, sports, and gaming experience possible. The new remote design includes dedicated ―Entertainment Mode‖ buttons making split-second adjustments possible. Samsung's 3D-technology co-marketing plans include a starter kit accessory acclimating even novice users to this unique application.

Series 6 DLP HDTV Housed in a slim cabinet with a narrow bezel, the Series 6's hidden speakers make it aesthetically pleasing, as well as technologically advanced. Multimedia users will enjoy easy functionality with portable devices. MP3 players, PMPs, and thumb drives can all be used via the HDTV's WiseLink USB 2.0 input, while three HDMI-CEC side ports make it easy to plug in Blu-ray, HD-DVD players, HD camcorders and game consoles for immediate use. The Series 6 DLP HDTVs will be available in April and June in the following sizes: 50-inches, 56-inches, 61-inches and 72-inches (Model numbers: HL50A650, HL56A650, HL61A650 and HL72A650). Series 7 LED DLP HDTV

Samsung's Series 7 DLP HDTV has one of the most environmentally conscious designs on the market today. Consumers will find that this series' new Cinema Pure™ Color Engine powered by the long-lasting Generation 2.4 LED consistently outperforms its traditional lamp-based counterparts, delivering outstanding picture quality and continuous light output rated at over 60,000 hours.

Energy Star® compliance addresses efficiency while these state of the art HDTVs consumes approximately half the power of a 60-inch class plasma HDTV. This new LED DLP sets typically do not require interval lamp replacement and combined with low power consumption results in a lower cost of ownership for the consumer. At the same time, the Series 7 DLP HDTVs improve brightness by more than 40 percent and offer a wider color gamut for delivering a cinematic experience beyond other display technologies --all while using only 230 watts of power, resulting in both a

Greener HDTV -- energy consumption and cost of ownership message to the consumer. Adding to the functionality of our Series 7 DLP TVs is Simplay HDMI compliance, a new Remote with specially designed hot keys, and a new simplified user interface and menu system. The result of these enhancements enables control over all HDMI-CEC-compatible A/V devices for a simplified total system convenience experience. WiseLink 2.0 (USB) with codec support for MP3 and JPEG enables consumers to easily access files from their portable media and display the files on a brilliant big screen HDTV. The Series 7 DLP TVs will also feature a 1 Tuner PIP function. The Series 7 LED DLP HDTVs will be available in April and June in both 61-inches and 67-inches (Model numbers HL61A750 and HL67A750).

About Samsung Electronics America, Inc. Headquartered in Ridgefield Park, NJ, Samsung Electronics America, Inc. (SEA), a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., markets a broad range of award-winning, advanced digital consumer electronics and home appliance products, including HDTVs, home theater systems, MP3 players, refrigerators and laundry machines. A recognized innovation leader in consumer electronics design and technology, Samsung is the HDTV market leader in the U.S. and is the only manufacturer that produces all four major digital television technologies. Please visit www.samsung.com for more information.

50" Widescreen DLP HDTV with 1080p
Model Number: HL50A650
Click to enlarge
Printer friendly page
MSRP: $1899.99

TV/Video
• Slim bezel (0.6"), “piano black” cabinet
• Slim depth – fits where others won’t™
• Samsung Cinema Smooth™ 1080p light engine:
- Full HD 1920 x 1080p digital format converter
for all inputs
- Single-panel DLP® design—crystal-clear picture
without any possibility of convergence errors
- Smooth, film-like images and ultra-quiet
operation
• Analog and full digital NTSC/ATSC Tuners with
Clear QAM (digital cable)
• Energy Star® Compliant (0.8 Watt standby)
• Single user interface for easy menu surfing
• Entertainment mode
• 3D ready—Future-proof your HD experience
Audio
• Watts per channel: 10W x 2
• SRS TruSurround XT™
• Hidden speaker system (DACS™)
Connections
• 3 HDMI inputs
- 480p/720p/1080i/1080p (60Hz/30Hz/24Hz)
input support
- HDMI with universal CEC system control
- Simplay certified
• 2-component video inputs
(480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p)
• 1 S-video input
• 2 A/V composite inputs
• Wiselink® USB 2.0
• PC (RGB/HDMI) input with 1080p Input Support
• RS232C interface for system control

56" Widescreen DLP HDTV with 1080p
Model Number: HL56A650
Click to enlarge
Printer friendly page
MSRP: $2099.99

TV/Video
for all inputs
operation
• Entertainment mode
Audio
• SRS TruSurround XT™
Connections
• 3 HDMI inputs
input support
- Simplay certified
• 1 S-video input
• 2 A/V composite inputs
• Wiselink® USB 2.0
Net dimensions and weight
(WxHxD)
TV (w/o foot): 50.4" x 34.9" x 13.4"
TV weight: 60.6 lbs.
TV (w/ foot): 50.4" x 34.9" x 14.0"

61" Widescreen DLP HDTV with 1080p
Model Number: HL61A650
Click to enlarge
Printer friendly page
MSRP: $2299.99

TV/Video
for all inputs
operation
• Entertainment mode
Audio
• SRS TruSurround XT™
Connections
• 3 HDMI inputs
input support
- Simplay certified
• 1 S-video input
• 2 A/V composite inputs
• Wiselink® USB 2.0
(WxHxD)
TV (w/o foot): 54.8" x 37.7" x 14.3"
TV weight: 68.8 lbs.
TV (w/ foot): 54.8" x 37.7" x 15.4"

61" LED Powered DLP HDTV with 1080p
Model Number: HL61A750
Click to enlarge
Printer friendly page
MSRP: $2699.99

TV/Video
• “Piano Key Black” cabinet
• Slim depth and slim bezel (0.6") – fits where
others won’t™
• 1 Tuner Picture-in-Picture
• Samsung CinemaPure™ Color Engine:
- Reliable LED solid state illumination for long life
and up to 40% more color and 40% brightness
improvement
- Built-in light sensor with beam current feedback
insures stable light output over the life of the TV
for all inputs and TV sources
- Smooth, high detail film-like image
Clear QAM (local channel digital cable capable)
• Entertainment mode custom picture settings
Audio
• SRS TruSurround XT™
Connections
• 3 HDMI inputs
- 480i/480p/1080i/1080p
(60Hz/30Hz/24Hz) input support
- Simplay certified for cross component
compatibility
• 2 S-video inputs
• 2 A/V composite inputs
• Wiselink® USB 2.0
• RS232C port for system control
(WxHxD)
TV (w/o foot): 54.8" x 37.8" x 14.4"
TV weight: 70.1 lbs.
TV (w/ foot): 54.8" x 37.8" x 15.4"

67" LED Powered DLP HDTV with 1080p
Model Number: HL67A750
Click to enlarge
Printer friendly page
MSRP: $3199.99

TV/Video
• “Piano Key Black” cabinet
• Slim depth and slim bezel (0.6") – fits where
others won’t™
• 1 Tuner Picture-in-Picture
• Samsung CinemaPure™ Color Engine:
- Reliable LED solid state illumination for long life
and up to 40% more color and 40% brightness
improvement
- Built-in light sensor with beam current feedback
insures stable light output over the life of the TV
for all inputs and TV sources
- Smooth, high detail film-like image
Clear QAM (local channel digital cable capable)
• Entertainment mode custom picture settings
Audio
• SRS TruSurround XT™
Connections
• 3 HDMI inputs
- 480i/480p/1080i/1080p
(60Hz/30Hz/24Hz) input support
- Simplay certified for cross component
compatibility
• 2 S-video inputs
• 2 A/V composite inputs
• Wiselink® USB 2.0
• RS232C port for system control

Oppo Beta Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So basically, Samsung is seeing some of the writing on the wall for RP and not trying to keep 2 lines of LED TVs, one line missing "basic" (at Sammy DLP price points IMO) features like HDMI 1.3 and PIP. But they are also introducing larger screen sizes (67") and dropping everything below 61", presumably to keep the price points high, at least temporarily.

I'm looking forward to these sets and will bite if I see the types of prices I saw this year on LED around the holidays. Pending reviews, of course.

Quote:

Samsung's 3D-technology co-marketing plans include a starter kit accessory acclimating even novice users to this unique application.

Could someone at CES verify what this means? The package you used to have to buy seperately for 3D may now be included?

Matt
post #3 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There's no mention of 120Hz or Auto-Motion... I was really hoping the newest sets would all have something like that.
post #4 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

But they were 120Hz last year, so that should still be there.

Matt
post #5 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

So basically, Samsung is seeing some of the writing on the wall for RP and not trying to keep 2 lines of LED TVs, one line missing "basic" (at Sammy DLP price points IMO) features like HDMI 1.3 and PIP. But they are also introducing larger screen sizes (67") and dropping everything below 61", presumably to keep the price points high, at least temporarily.

I'm looking forward to these sets and will bite if I see the types of prices I saw this year on LED around the holidays. Pending reviews, of course.

Could someone at CES verify what this means? The package you used to have to buy seperately for 3D may now be included?

The 2007 LED DLP series ended up having the xx87s series supporting HDMI 1.2a at most B&M stores while the xx89s series that included HDMI 1.3a - CEC along with PIP/Bluetooth/USB 2.0/T-120 Phlatlight LED's backlight sold at AV specialty stores. These two lines resemble the same game plan, the HLxxA650 for the Sears, CC, BB, Fry's and the HLxxA750 for places like Magnolia HI-FI and other AV specialty stores. This time they have all models supporting HDMI 1.3a - CEC!

Oppo Beta Group
post #6 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

The 2007 LED DLP series ended up having the xx87s series supporting HDMI 1.2a at most B&M stores while the xx89s series that included HDMI 1.3a - CEC along with PIP/Bluetooth/USB 2.0/T-120 Phlatlight LED's backlight sold at AV specialty stores. These two lines resemble the same game plan, the HLxxA650 for the Sears, CC, BB, Fry's and the HLxxA750 for places like Magnolia HI-FI and other AV specialty stores. This time they all have models supporting HDMI 1.3a - CEC!

Except, the big box-type stores you mention were pushing LED hard over the holidays (especially CC and Sears). Hopefully I will still be able to get discounted pricing on the DLP model I want but not have to sacrifice stuff that I require like LED, HDMI 1.3a, and PIP--like I would have had to have done last year. If LED goes to only specialty stores, I'll give up on DLP.

I'm not sure if you are reading the press release as I am but the 6 series is not LED.

Matt
post #7 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 08:52 AM

Have they figured out the screen sagging problem yet? These new DLP's have great features, but if the screen sags, what's the point.

I have the first generation LED and the screen sags, which is a wide spread problem and not fixable. Unfortunately, Samsung has not responded to my issue even though it was under warranty. That problem is for another thread.
post #8 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Except, the big box-type stores you mention were pushing LED hard over the holidays (especially CC and Sears). Hopefully I will still be able to get discounted pricing on the DLP model I want but not have to sacrifice stuff that I require like LED, HDMI 1.3a, and PIP--like I would have had to have done last year. If LED goes to only specialty stores, I'll give up on DLP.

I'm not sure if you are reading the press release as I am but the 6 series is not LED.

Perhaps we will get more information shortly to verify this.

Informaton not yet available at Samsung ICES 2008 booth link

I seen a couple of links that don't identify the 6 series as using a LED light engine.

Oppo Beta Group
post #9 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 09:26 AM

From Gizmodo:

"The Catch: Old tech, dying everywhere."

WTF is that supposed to mean? I understand that everyone is in love with the plasma/LCD super thin, and Sony is bailing on us, but isn't DLP RP still superior to plasmas and LCDs? What will they say when Laser-based DLP sets start showing up?
post #10 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

No darkchip4 !
Not sure what Samsung is waiting for. RP technology needs to stay on top if they wanna survive.. I am eyeing that 67 inch LED, but why no top of the line features on top of the line DLP TV?
post #11 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:

But they were 120Hz last year, so that should still be there.

I'm not as concerned about 120Hz per se as much as proper 24 fps support (judder-free)... If I understand correctly the previous DLPs (i.e. HL-T7288W) do have (limited?) 120Hz support but 24fps sources still went through a 3:2 pulldown and were displayed at 60Hz?

I'm just starting to shop for a new set after 7+ years so I've still got some catching up to do, especially with all the confusion that seems to surround this 24fps business. I don't think it's a deal breaker for me but I figured it was worth waiting for CES to see if the manufacturers had worked this out - unfortunately in this case my first impression is a "no".
post #12 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 10:27 AM

Liked: 11
I'm really confused as to what exactly the 6 series use as a light source. Is it lamp or LED? There is no mention of LED in the press release until it starts describing the 7 series. So could this mean there are no 50 or 56" LED sets for 2008? This is the size I was looking for. If the 6 series are indeed lamp based, once the 2007 HLT models are gone, no such set will exist. Perhaps the margins are too thin on the smaller LED sets and Samsung decided they are better off making money from people replacing lamps. Can anyone at the show confirm?
post #13 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I saw mention of 240Hz earlier today on Engadget and a Laser DLP with 500K:1 but they did not specify brand or whether it's a concept or production model.

DLP evolving with new light sources
Posted Jan 7th 2008 12:00PM by Steven Kim
Filed under: CES, Displays

"DLP is finding new life with the latest advances in illumination technology. We've already seen LED backlights, and now the technology is taking a page from the LCD world. Say "hello" to 240Hz display mode DLPs, with a 50% increase in motion reproduction -- diminishing returns for Hz increases, indeed. Working with LED manufacturer Luminous has produced contrast ratios of 500,000:1. But the ride doesn't stop there, as demonstrated by Mitsubishi's laser HDTV with a DLP heart. We'll be checking that one out, so stay tuned for the details."

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #14 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post

I'm not as concerned about 120Hz per se as much as proper 24 fps support (judder-free)

Just to put the 120Hz stuff to bed--it relies on being 120Hz to provide the 3D features, which all the models mentioned in the press release are supposed to have.

Matt
post #15 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Just to put the 120Hz stuff to bed--it relies on being 120Hz to provide the 3D features, which all the models mentioned in the press release are supposed to have.

The 2007 models did 3D, but not judder free 24p processing.

There are multiple threads about these new displays, wonder if we can get one consolodated thread.

Also, where's the beef? Im not seeing anything in these new models that would make me wait until May to get one. Not that much better than the 2007 model, unless I am missing something.

One more HDMI, 40% contrast increase(this isnt DC4...is it?), and...?
post #16 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Per Luminus:
Samsung’s 2008 LED DLP line-up will include two new models – the 61” HL61A750 and the 67” HL67A750. The new LED models will feature Samsung’s new slim, lightweight cabinet design featuring an ultra slim bezel. In addition to offering up to 40% more color, the new models carry PhlatLight LEDs’ long lifetime, eliminating the need for lamp replacement and improving environmental friendliness. This combined with DLP technology’s exceptional contrast and 1080p resolution gives consumers the superior viewing experience provided by the Slim DLP series with the option of an even larger screen size.

“Consumer demand for outstanding picture quality in larger screen sizes continues to grow and Samsung has answered this demand with our Slim DLP line,” said Steve Panosian, director of marketing, DLP and CRT HDTV products at Samsung Electronics America. “Now, not only are we able to offer a very thin bezel that allows the sets to fit where others won’t, but we are also able to deliver this advantage in larger screen sizes that use substantially less energy than plasma or LCD sets of the same size, thanks in large part to Luminus’ PhlatLight LED technology.”

Samsung introduced the first LED DLP TV incorporating PhlatLight technology in a 56” screen size in 2006. The company expanded the product line in 2007 by creating new models of LED DLP HDTVs in screen sizes up to 61”. The latest lineup is the third generation of Samsung’s Slim LED DLP series incorporating PhlatLight technology, with models that include screen sizes up to 67”.

So the series 6 is still arc-bulb. No news seen for any updated 50 or 56" size LED DLP's.

Oppo Beta Group
post #17 of 5059 Old 01-07-2008, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Damn. I was really hoping that Samsung would be able to do a 72" LED DLP this year. I want to convert from my old CRT based 65" Toshiba RPTV to a Samsung LED DLP. But I can't justify that purchase with just a 2" increase in screen size.

It looks like I may be waiting another year.
post #18 of 5059 Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post

I'm not as concerned about 120Hz per se as much as proper 24 fps support (judder-free)... If I understand correctly the previous DLPs (i.e. HL-T7288W) do have (limited?) 120Hz support but 24fps sources still went through a 3:2 pulldown and were displayed at 60Hz?

I'm just starting to shop for a new set after 7+ years so I've still got some catching up to do, especially with all the confusion that seems to surround this 24fps business. I don't think it's a deal breaker for me but I figured it was worth waiting for CES to see if the manufacturers had worked this out - unfortunately in this case my first impression is a "no".

The LED Televisions if they're anything like the 2007's HLTxx87 and HLTxx89, should be able to run up to 120hz (in 3d mode) and support 24Hz playback with a "forced 24hz" mode such as the one found on the PlayStation 3. Auto-detection during the handshake of 24hz seems to make the television want to take a 60hz signal over 24hz though, so if you don't have a "forced" able player, I'd wait to see what these new sets offer...
post #19 of 5059 Old 01-08-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator06 View Post

I'm really confused as to what exactly the 6 series use as a light source. Is it lamp or LED? There is no mention of LED in the press release until it starts describing the 7 series. So could this mean there are no 50 or 56" LED sets for 2008? This is the size I was looking for. If the 6 series are indeed lamp based, once the 2007 HLT models are gone, no such set will exist. Perhaps the margins are too thin on the smaller LED sets and Samsung decided they are better off making money from people replacing lamps. Can anyone at the show confirm?

I think it's more of a marketing move. Why put out 50" displays with the prices of 50" LCD/Plasma displays falling more and more. By moving up to a bigger size, you see a larger gap between LCD/Plasma and LED DLP. The only problem with this is, you miss out on most of the market that are looking for 50-60" televisions... but the vast majority of those people won't know the difference between Lamp and LED. They're people like my co-workers who see their first a 42" Costco Vizio LCD and think they've gotten a great deal for the size and picture...

...then I tell them to drive home in their KIA's and they get angry with me. :P But the point is made.
post #20 of 5059 Old 01-08-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

The 2007 models did 3D, but not judder free 24p processing.

There are multiple threads about these new displays, wonder if we can get one consolodated thread.

Also, where's the beef? Im not seeing anything in these new models that would make me wait until May to get one. Not that much better than the 2007 model, unless I am missing something.

One more HDMI, 40% contrast increase(this isnt DC4...is it?), and...?

The only judder in 24hz (not "p") with the HLT LED models is normal movie judder. It took me some time to get used to the different framerate because I'm sensitive to that type of thing, but the framerate to my eyes looks most definitely consistent throughout my blue ray movies on my PS3. No judder to be had, just smooth pictures like the movies
post #21 of 5059 Old 01-08-2008, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From Twice.com
Samsung Gives Video Road Map

"In rear-projection TV, the company will go ahead with a spring launch of new DLP models despite faster growing demand for flat-panel displays, said Charles Park, senior manager of the PDP management group within Samsung's visual display division. The company will also continue development of later-generation DLP models, including laser-based projection sets, but will remain in the rear-projection market only if it can drive down rear-projection prices enough to maintain a price gap with flat-panel TVs, he said. We will stay there this year, and next year we will have to see.

Oppo Beta Group
post #22 of 5059 Old 01-08-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope they stay... 65 inch DLP is way to go, plasma and LCDs in this size are priced closer to small cars..
post #23 of 5059 Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post

but isn't DLP RP still superior to plasmas and LCDs?

Why on earth would you says that?

I'm serious, I've been debating Sammy x89 LED DLP vs. Panny Plasma.
post #24 of 5059 Old 01-08-2008, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN View Post

Why on earth would you says that?

I'm serious, I've been debating Sammy x89 LED DLP vs. Panny Plasma.

As stated earlier, a lot of the benefits that people are saying a laser backlight would give, already exists with current Phlatlight LED powered DLP's. Long life, wide color gamut, no color wheel, no fan's and instant on and off. Eventually solid state lasers will also be economical enough to use in RPD's, but we are not quite there. In the mean while as the photonic lattice technology evolves (LED) they will also produce better and better displays. As long as RPD's can get better and better, all of us benefit!

Oppo Beta Group
post #25 of 5059 Old 01-09-2008, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Just found the posting of one participant via CNET at CES and her comments regarding the 3D DLP demo's:

CES: Dual-view and 3D high-definition TV
Posted by Amy Tiemann
"After a full day roaming the Consumer Electronics Show floor, I have to say the most mind-blowing thing I saw was the dual-view and 3D high-definition technology called DLP, made by Texas Instruments. This technology is being rolled out in Mitsubishi and Samsung televisions.

These are not flat-screen models, but thicker projection TVs. I was initially stopped in my tracks by the amazing image on a 73-inch model. They showed Shrek on the demo reel, and I have to say, the detail in the animation was incredible. I could see the sugar crystals sparkling on the Gingerbread Man's gumdrops. (They also showed Transformers, and it was very manly and explosive. Looked good too. DLP has a very fast refresh rate, so it is well-suited for action.)

Computer-animated films are rendered in three dimensions, making them an ideal candidate for 3D movie transformation. I saw a demo on the DLP set, using special 3D discs of Beowulf, Meet the Robinsons, and The Nightmare Before Christmas, and the viewing experience was awe-inspiring. You felt like you were about to be drawn into the picture. The set can render two complete HD images simultaneously and flawlessly, and the images are picked up and separated by special wireless 3D glasses.

This enables two totally separate images to be presented at the same time, which can be viewed either as 3D (A image right eye, B image left eye) or two different views presented on the same set at the same time (one person sees the A image in both eyes, the other sees B in both eyes). One obvious application is for video games; if two people are playing a driving game, they can each see their own car, or switch views back and forth.

The less obvious but technically intriguing application is that two people could be watching totally separate programs that are simultaneously displayed. With the glasses and earbud audio, you could have two people watching Grey's Anatomy and a football playoff game at the same time on the same set.

That's some truly mind-blowing technology. I am not sure what this means for family togetherness, sitting on the same couch watching two separate programs, but it could help resolve some sticky situations when competition for the remote control arises."

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #26 of 5059 Old 01-09-2008, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also see this 3D DLP link from CES 2008

What was very interesting for gamers was CES 2008: DLP shows off DualView TV

Oppo Beta Group
post #27 of 5059 Old 01-09-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

...a lot of the benefits that people are saying a laser backlight would give, already exists with current Phlatlight LED powered DLP's. Long life, wide color gamut, no color wheel, no fan's and instant on and off. ...

This is quite possible, but do we really know that the 650 sets are LED? I've read the press release several times and it really seems confusing. They only talk about LED specifically with respect to the 750 sets.

I don't really have room for a 61 inch set, which is the smallest 750 made, but I could certainly fit in a 56 inch 650.
post #28 of 5059 Old 01-09-2008, 06:48 PM

i am just curios to see if these tvs will look as good as the laser tv that mits is gonna have . so the question is should i wait for the mitz or buy my first samsung product.

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND.
post #29 of 5059 Old 01-09-2008, 06:56 PM

Liked: 15
CES: Dual-view and 3D high-definition TV
Posted by Amy Tiemann
[indent][i]"After a full day roaming the Consumer Electronics Show floor, I have to say the most mind-blowing thing I saw was the dual-view and 3D high-definition technology called DLP, made by Texas Instruments. This technology is being rolled out in Mitsubishi and Samsung televisions.

These are not flat-screen models, but thicker projection TVs. I was initially stopped in my tracks by the amazing image on a 73-inch model.

Stop right there. All I needed to hear was 73 inch model. That means a 73 inch Laser DLP is on the way. SIGN ME UP SOLD....
post #30 of 5059 Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegow View Post

This is quite possible, but do we really know that the 650 sets are LED? I've read the press release several times and it really seems confusing. They only talk about LED specifically with respect to the 750 sets.

I don't really have room for a 61 inch set, which is the smallest 750 made, but I could certainly fit in a 56 inch 650.

The six series is not LED back lit. The current LED DLP's such as the HL-T6187/89S is only 54.8" wide versus the HL-T5687/89S is only 50.4" wide. Are you sure about the size limits effecting you?

Oppo Beta Group
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page