Originally Posted by crackmonkey
I've been waiting for so long to get an HD (yes, i'm still SD - no comments necessary from the peanut gallery). I was really looking forward to finding out what was being offered at CES this year, but i think it's just given me more questions though. The laser DLP (i was really hoping for a sony laser SXRD offering) looks nice, but they've provided no details, which to me is a very big red flag. If you truly have the best, let us know it. And i'm also a little surprised by the lack of reviews for the new laser. I don't think i've read one comment about viewing angle (i know they 'should' be good, but are they comparable to plasma).
So since there's no laser sxrd, here's some thoughts/questions i have. I'm mostly thinking out loud in case someone finds the info or wants to vent with me, so no need to answer, i know the info isn't out there - groan!:
- Mits hasn't released details. If the specs are so good, let us know. This is a pretty big red flag to me.
- Part of the reason i wanted a sony laser sxrd is for product quality reason. say what you will about sony, but their product quality is pretty good (when it actually works). I've never been impressed with Mits DLP. Yeah they're really big, but the quality almost always sucks.
- What are the viewing angles for this thing. Does it have the 'window' look of plasma or the rear projection look with regard to viewing angles.
- This is a first generation tv. What bugs will they be fixing in next years models?
- Price. C'mon... priced like a comparably sized LCD flatpanel?!?! I suspect(hope actually) that Mits is just putting out the 'feelers' on this one to see how the market responds and what they can get away with. My advice, if you really want to get market share and clean house make us an offer (a really really cheap one) we can't refuse. And we've already heard from novalux that the lasers aren't that much and the tv will be less since less optics will be needed.
- Shows 80% of what the eye can see, vivid colors etc... but how accurately does it show them (fingers crossed). I'm assuming it will need expensive calibration to bring out the best in the tv (like all others).
- Contrast ratio - this is one spec i was especially ticked they didn't talk about. I know it 'should' be high, but what is it (5K, 10K, 20K, etc...)??? C'mon, stop teasing us!
- A release date of 'later this year'. You just suck for saying that Mits. Give us something a little more solid and stick to it. (I also heard black friday, and even though i heard first half of 08 somewhere too).
- What the refresh rate - 60? 120? To quote the laser doc - throw us a fricken bone why don't ya!
My backup is a Kuro. They just look great! But man are they expensive and i was really set on something larger than 60". Oh well, i guess it's time to return to playing the waiting game for more information (thumbs twiddling), dang!