Sony A3000 troubleshooting question...return? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-09-2008, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After lurking on the A3000 owners' thread and setting thread for a month now, I am hopeful someone can help.

Set the TV up a week ago and have had no problems...last night, we watched We Are Marshall on HBOHD (we have a Comcast HDVR cable box w/HDMI connection). The black horizontal bars were present but at the very bottom of the top bar, a very thin line of light was also present....I checked other HD channels and it was present on all of them except ShowtimeHD which had the bars but no line of light - it kind of moves horizontally but it pretty much extends the entire way across the screen (again, this is at the bottom of the top bar where it meets the picture).

What's really confusing me is that the horizontal bars have not been present over the past week and my screen has been set to Full mode all along- I watched a football game on ESPN2 -no bars- an Alaska documentary on NGeographicHD - no bars. Of course they're normal for most movies but the bars were on every HD channel last night. And one of the programs on an SD channel was in a box with bars all around.

I tried changing the screen settings and Zoom got rid of the bars and line of light but that was just a temporary fix since it crops off some of the picture...any advice? Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-09-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just a guess, I don't have a Sony, but on Sammys if we use "just scan" (1 to 1 pixel mapping, for computer use) those signal lines can show when watching tv. Maybe someone hit a button for that setting on your remote?

The other possibility is someone reset your cable box settings for the HD feed. Check that for 16:9 also.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-09-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfy View Post

After lurking on the A3000 owners' thread and setting thread for a month now, I am hopeful someone can help.

Set the TV up a week ago and have had no problems...last night, we watched We Are Marshall on HBOHD (we have a Comcast HDVR cable box w/HDMI connection). The black horizontal bars were present but at the very bottom of the top bar, a very thin line of light was also present....I checked other HD channels and it was present on all of them except ShowtimeHD which had the bars but no line of light - it kind of moves horizontally but it pretty much extends the entire way across the screen (again, this is at the bottom of the top bar where it meets the picture).

What's really confusing me is that the horizontal bars have not been present over the past week and my screen has been set to Full mode all along- I watched a football game on ESPN2 -no bars- an Alaska documentary on NGeographicHD - no bars. Of course they're normal for most movies but the bars were on every HD channel last night. And one of the programs on an SD channel was in a box with bars all around.

I tried changing the screen settings and Zoom got rid of the bars and line of light but that was just a temporary fix since it crops off some of the picture...any advice? Many thanks.

I have several HD tv's and when I use a HDMI or DVI connection, once in a while that happens.. It doesnt happen when I watch from any other source except from the cable box.

I haven't found a good answer to solve that problem except for one thing. Since your cable and tv signals at most is 1080I go with component cable, that will solve that and some even think its a better picture, alittle softer. Anyway I have never gotten that line when I go that route.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Try another source like a DVD player--if you don't have the problem with DVD then your set's ok and there's something screwy with your cable box.

Note that when an SD channel is running letterbox material it will be normal to have black bars on all 4 sides.

Steve S.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-09-2008, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

First let me say thank you to you guys for the responses - greatly appreciated.

Just had a Comcast tech over to look at a digital phone issue and asked him to take a look at the TV while he was here. He quickly figured out that there was an extra composite cable connection and that after my wife watched a dvd, the tv never got back to the correct input - so basically the HD signal was coming through the old composite cables. I feel like an idiot but, hey, I'm pumped the set is back to looking incredible

Thanks again and Happy 2008!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page