Pioneer SD-643HD5 rear projection convergence - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-24-2008, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have a convergence issue with my Pioneer SD-643HD5 64" rear projection HD ready TV. I'm not a tech, just a home owner that believes this unit still has value.

I'm worried about the base grid in green. It's different in all modes. The differences creates a "shakey green line" in the places of greatest offset. On one mode the green base grid looks like a view from a blimp into a square football stadium (deep dish appearance). I've read other forums and have ordered two IC's. However, from what I gather, the unit may actually need a DCU, or at least, a wipe and reprogram of the one I've got. I may be wasting time on the IC's? I also foresee the possibility of wasting time trying to reprogram the DCU (if it's possible).

So, Questions relate to "what do I do next". I contemplate the following:

Is there a simple diagnostic to determine which component is wacked (IC's or DCU)?

Where can I find a DCU for this unit at a good price?

Will I require the service manual for "wiping and reprogramming" the DCU (this would be an attempt to NOT buy a DCU)? If so, where can I find the service manual? Will I need the manual for installing a new DCU or even installing the IC's (for calibration of convergence). I have images of taping string to the front of the set to create a grid and having a headache for a month.

Thanks for your assistance.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-24-2008, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 37
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...e-repairs.html

The fix is almost always the IC's, possibly a few resistors and/or fuses. Once in a while the DCU, but you need to try the IC's first.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-25-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, Now that's some fantastic information! Thanks! I just changed the IC order to the updated part and will head to Radio shack and pick up some tools. I'll let you know how it goes. I plan to put the new parts in and hope all runs well. Should I need the service manual, where do you recommend I go for it? I'd love to get it free. If I do pay for it, I don't want to receive a "scanned" version with poor quality images with tables that can't be read.

Thanks again!

Richard
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page