JVC D-ILA/HDMI problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2008, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have owned a JVC D-ILA model 56G786 720p for about two and a half years now, however, I have just gotten around to subscribing to High Def satellite service. Anyway, when hooking up the new satellite receiver, I have been unable to get a picture when connecting via the HDMI cable. I tried running the cable from the satellite receiver to my Marantz HT receiver with a second cable (labled HDMI 1.3a) from the HT receiver to the telvision and got a black screen. I then tried running the HDMI directly from the satellite receiver to the television's HDMI connection which also resulted in no picture. At one point I got an orange screen, but nothing else.

FWIW, the Marantz receiver, which is fairly new, has HDMI 1.2, but the television does not mention what version HDMI it uses. Does this even make a difference? The owner's manual for the Marantz indicates that if the monitor does not support HDCP, that you will not get a picture. The JVC manual does not mention anything about HDCP. I also checked the satellite receiver's settings, and it is set for 480i, 480p, and 720p.

Any ideas? Are HDMI versions totally incompatible? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Doug Culbertson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
I gave up trying to get my G-series to get a picture over HDMI from my PVR (Bell Expressvu), and went to component cables. I could get a picture but it stuttered. I don't know if that was the fault of the TV, since HDMI worked with the previous satellite receiver, a non-PVR HD 6100 model.

It seems like HDMI conflicts are really widespread through the industry. I see complaints over a wide range of makes and models. You might contact JVC and see if they can provide a firmware upgrade.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
No problems with my 52G886 and Dish Network VIP211 HD receiver. It also works fine with a Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player. I believe the 52G886 and 56G786 are both from the same model year, so I'd expect similar results from both models.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Try unplugging the JVC TV from the power outlet, leave it out for a few hours, then plug it back in. Connect the HDMI between TV and satellite box (no receiver in the middle).

Make sure TV and source are both turned off when connecting the HDMI cable.

Be sure you do not any bright light shining onto the back of the TV, as this can disable HDMI on some sets.

If you are lucky, the display should now work.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith447 View Post

...Connect the HDMI between TV and satellite box (no receiver in the middle)....

Just out of curiousity, can you explain this? I only have one box, which is the PVR. That's with Canadian Bell Expressvu. Do other companies use two boxes?
Old 02-03-2008, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I now have the TV unplugged and will try this again later. I also sent an email to JVC tech support to check on possible firmware updates.

Thanks again!
Old 02-13-2008, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

OK, unplugging the telivision didn't work to reset the HDMI. I did, however, finally hear from JVC tech support, and they sent instructions that did work, so my HDMI now works. For anyone interested, here is what they sent, and it worked like a champ:

1a) make sure the two slide switches on the top of your remote are set
to TV and VCR (both to the left).

1b) Press SLEEP TIMER and make sure it is set to "0" minutes. (Only on
screen for 2-3 seconds)

2) While "0 minutes" is being displayed on the screen, press DISPLAY and
VIDEO STATUS at the same time. This will pull up a service menu on
the screen.

3) Press the option # 2 (SELF CHECK) on the service menu

4) Turn the TV off and allow the set to run its normal cool down
process.

5) Turn the TV back on and set the TV back to DIGITAL IN mode by
pressing on the INPUT button.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:47 AM

Yesterday, I switched some HDMI cables on my 70FH96 for my new Blu-Ray player. Now, Digital Input 1 (HDMI) is not responding, 2 (HDMI) works fine. There is only a *tiny* amount of ambient light reaching the back of my TV, and I'm not using a flashlight. Input 2 works fine with either device (DTiVo or BDP), but Input 1 (using the same cable) won't show anything.

I've followed the instructions here (several times), but it hasn't seemed to fix the issue.

Could the port have somehow died? Is there anything else I can try?