Sony 34XBR960 Anti-Glare Coating Removal - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've noticed on my kd34xs955, that a part of the screen looks as though parts of a layer were taken off, is this the anti glare coating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 02-27-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post

If the coating isn't scratched, don't remove it. It has nothing to do with the blur anyway, you need to adjust focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xomoi View Post

I have the kd-34xs955 and removed the coating using a coax knife. I removed the left over adhesive with steel wool and used goo gone with a q-tip around the edges. It worked great, and as othersmentioned the picture actually looks much cleaner. It took me about 4 hours to complete though.

Also, Trent_bob, I have a different model than yours; however, the pro mode setting on my tv greatly improves text around the edges. So if your uncomfortable making adjustments in the service menu you might try this first.

Ya played around in the service menu and greatly improved the picture quality but I couldn't get anything to noticeably sharpen the picture.

Thanks - I'll try the pro mode.
post #33 of 46 Old 07-17-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilJeff View Post

It seems that the second half of this thread has disappeared. In it I outlined the procedure I used to remove my anti glare coating on my XBR960. It was very easy, I did NOT use any chemicals, unless you want to include the lemon Pledge I used as a final step.

If anybody knows where the rest of this thread went, let me know. Here's A REPEAT of what I had posted:

What you will need:
1) X-acto knife
2) single edged razor blade
3) butter knife
4) lemon pledge (or whatever)
5) soft cloth

How it's done:
1) Trace the outer edge of the screen with the x-acto knife. Make sure you've got a nice new blade. You don't need to press hard.
2) Again using the x-acto knife, trace across an upper corner so you have a small triangle in the corner. Use the tip of the x-acto knife to seperate the film from the glass a bit. Just make a small pocket.
3) Stick the butter knife in this small slit and push it towards the corner of the screen. When you get to the corner, the film should break away clean. If it doesn't, gently trace the outline of the screen again with the x-acto knife.
4) You get the idea. Once you've got a corner pulled away you can grab it an pull downward, not outward, on the film. If you pull outward, the film will rip too much. With some strategic slitting and butterknifing, you'll have the entire film off in 10 minutes. 95% of the glue should come off with the film.
5) Now, use the single edged razor blade and carefully scrape off the rest of the glue, just like the dude at the garage scrapes the old inspection sticker off your car windshield.
6) Nothing in this world is perfect, so now spray the screen with that wonderful smelling lemon pledge and polish to perfection with a nice soft terrycloth. Remaining smears of glue come right off by spraying some lemon pledge on the cloth and giving it a bit of elbow grease.

I made this procedure up as I went along. The whole process took me 30 minutes and I did not melt the bezel, blow up the house, deliver a plague upon the earth, etc. etc.

......Here come some pictures !!!!!!

EvilJeff:
I just wanted to thank you for your post on the procedure to remove the anti-glare screen on my KD-34XS955. It worked very well and gave me the confidence in proceeding with the removal myself. The only thing I would like to add is that the anti-glare screen was more difficult to peel off than I had anticipated. I used a heat gun on the low setting to preheat a little before I started peeling. This really sped up the process. Still it took about an hour to carefully remove the screen and then another hour to remove all the excess glue with a box cutter type razor blade. I then used Goo Gone and Windex for the finishing touches. The results are amazing! Nice bright picture with no more annoying streaks. Before I started I was ready to discard the TV.
Sony:
You should feel embarrassed for releasing these CRT's with defective anti-glare screens. Your R&D department must have been on vacation or something. I can't believe that your screens are so sensitive to damage. There was a time not long ago when the Sony brand stood for quality, cutting edge technology. When Toyota realized they had defects or engineering problems they faced the situation head on and handled it with class.
post #34 of 46 Old 12-22-2010, 08:01 PM

Hi all. I am new to the forum, and just purchased a second hand 960 from a pro who teaches how to calibrate sets. Needless to say mine is operating perfectly. However, there is a small section of antiglare coating at the bottom of the screen that is worn. I am on the fence about removal. I just wanted to ask those who have removed it from a 960 a question:

If you had just a small place like mine that was hardy noticeable, and knew the results in picture of removing the coating, would you still have done it?

Many thanks!

Vince
post #35 of 46 Old 03-07-2011, 12:39 PM

I can't believe you did that! All you needed to do was to take out all of the screws that hold the back of the TV on. Maybe 10 or so. Remove the back cover. Then, at the top of the picture tube on the inside, there is a large screw/bolt. Undo that corner one and gently pull the top corner of the bezel away from the picture tube. On the top corner of the picture tube, you will see a corner piece of plastic sticking out. This is the anti-glare coating. The reason that the plastic sticks out is because it has been cut into a square corner, but the top of the picture tube is curved, so it doesn't adhere well in the corners. You can start to pick it away and eventually you will have a piece large enough to grasp and then continue pulling away from the picture tube.
Believe me, I was wary of doing this, but it took me only 30 min to get all of it off. Came off in one big sheet! Just a little clean up of some glue residue later. No big deal. Then, just pop everything back on and the TV has never looked better! I have a 34xs955. The coating before had become streaked, so I was a little in the dumps about that, and was worried that I'd have to live with it. The TV now is like a brand new set again. I like it much better without the coating. Can't believe I've lived with it all this time with that silly coating on.
Anyone who is using chemicals to remove the coating is an idiot. You are essentially trying to rub through 1 mm of very tough plastic. You'll never do it. It would take you forever. YOu are just burning small holes through it. Just peel it off like a very large and tough screen protector that you would have on an iphone or something like that.
Honestly, 30 min and it was all done. Like I said, I wish I had done this years ago. Much better!!!
post #36 of 46 Old 03-20-2011, 04:30 PM

Liked: 11
I always thought it would have been better to have the "n" version but now I am glad I don't! That sounds like it could be a colossal pain in the neck, trying to scrub away the baked on anti-glare resin.
post #37 of 46 Old 03-22-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGigaShadow View Post

You are wrong.

First off all, we are talking about the 960 here and you are talking about the 955. They are completely different models. So, right off the bat your post is sort of useless. That said...

There were two different versions of the 960 released. The 960N and the 960. The first was like your 955, the anti-glare coating was an actual sheet of plastic over the screen that with some effort, could pealed or cut to remove it. The later versions of the 960 (like mine) had a chemical coating that was spayed/baked on to the screen to form the anti-glare. On those 960s there is nothing to grab and peal. It could never just come off as one solid sheet. It's literally impossible.

So, before you go and call someone an idiot, try to have at least basic knowledge on what you are talking about. Otherwise, like in this case, you end up spreading misinformation and you come off looking like an idiot yourself.

Hmmm... The 955 and 960 are completely different models? Don't the both utilize the same SFP tube? Both have cablecard, HDMI. I can utilize PIP through my harmony remote. Only difference I see is that I can't access the iLink feature. Anything else you are aware of that separates these two? Other than perhaps the extra $2-300 premium for the XBR? Think again buddy.
Let's take a closer look at the results of clearing the anti-glare coating.
Me - 30 minutes, no chemicals, TV is in better condition than new!
You - hours of labor, driving to hardware store, scrubbing and scrubbing, goo-gone, acetone, fumes to kill large quantities of brain cells (this is apparent), frustration, ruined TV set, $1800 lost!
Now, you tell me who is the idiot?
Peace out schmuck.
post #38 of 46 Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGigaShadow View Post

You have it backwards. The model without the "N" has the coating sprayed on.

Ah, yes I see that now. To be honest, I didn't notice much of a difference when I peeled mine off. Except that the glare was a little worse, go figure :-) The picture is still great.

Doing the same thing to my gdm-w900 yielded a substantial improvement however-much brighter.

Nobody here is an idiot as far as I can tell. All we are talking about is anti-glare coatings. I am not sure why this became such an inflammatory topic-geez.
post #39 of 46 Old 02-01-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroostook67 View Post

Hi all. I am new to the forum, and just purchased a second hand 960 from a pro who teaches how to calibrate sets. Needless to say mine is operating perfectly. However, there is a small section of antiglare coating at the bottom of the screen that is worn. I am on the fence about removal. I just wanted to ask those who have removed it from a 960 a question:

If you had just a small place like mine that was hardy noticeable, and knew the results in picture of removing the coating, would you still have done it?

Many thanks!

Vince

Hi "aroostook67"

Me too I'm new to this forum.
I did remove the coating on my 960 because I was selling it. (not the N model)
I used the steel wool #0000 method. worked good, I added VIM to it, worked even better! No Scratches on the screen what so ever. took some time, but it worked. A lot easier that just using Windex or any glass cleaner a scrubbing! (Did a lot of that before)
I did not believe at 1st, but it does work. I got mine at Home Depot, pack of 12 for around 5$. You can do a small test in one of the corners 1st if you're not sure.

To answer your question about removing the coating: if it does not bother you, leave it. I can tell you that removing the coating make the screen attract a lot more dust!!! but beside that the screen looks better without it. you also have to take into consideration the glare effect. All depends of the placement and room condition the TV is in.
Well I hope this helps you.

Alex
post #40 of 46 Old 07-10-2013, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I realize this is an old thread but the coating on my 960 is failing, while wiping down the screen at the top right corner at the top of the screen an area about 3/4 on an inch wide and about 8 inches long the coating came off. I was using a clean terry towel with warm water. I think i bought the set in 2005 so I'm guessing the coating is just changing with age. This is the coating style, not the applied sheet. My question to those that have removed it completely is, how reflective is the new surface and does it still have the nice black appearance when off? the defective area is only noticeable at certain angles with a direct light source but it's irritating. kind of like an itch you can't reach

Thanks
post #41 of 46 Old 07-10-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I do know that Sony followed up with a modified model (960N) that doesn't have the coating so probably no biggie.

post #42 of 46 Old 06-29-2014, 01:11 PM

Sorry for the thread necro, but much of what I'm talking about is stuff I learned here.

Short version: Other than removing the bezel, is there a way to tell whether you have the film or the coating antiglare?

Long version: My antiglare has started to wear away in spots despite using only water and microfiber cloths for cleaning over the past decade. Therefore, I wanted to remove the remainder if the AG for uniformity.

Due to its appearance and some of my research, I was convinced I had the coating AG, not the film. The Magic Eraser method seemed to work, though it required a lot of hard scrubbing with Steel Wool #0000 . However, the screen looks cloudy, so it looks like the Magic Eraser couldn't quite take everything off.

Someone (here? elsewhere?) swore by WD40. Research said it was safe on glass, so I tried a bit on one of the cloudier areas, letting it sit for a few minutes. The cloudy, slightly smeary area I tested it on just seemed to grow smearier. And then I noticed a small indentation seemed to have appeared, as if the "glass" had been etched.

So now I suspect that I have the film, after all. But I'd really like to know for sure before I go taking an Xacto knife to my screen or popping off the giant case. I would be grateful for any advice.
post #43 of 46 Old 06-30-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Long ago I worked for a car window tinter and we would remove old film with razor blades and soapy water. Then we used Pine-Sol to remove the glue.

I thought all of these AG models used a film but I'm no expert on this subject. Unfortunately you might have to read back through this thread as I think most of these folks are long gone. Seems like there were a couple of real good how to posts although there may be other threads on the subject in AVS.

post #44 of 46 Old 07-02-2014, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. Additional research (including looking at page 2 of the Owner's Manual where it says there is a film being used, duh) has now made me think I have the film. But when I tried the Xacto knife method in a corner of the screen, it feels and sounds like I'm scoring glass. It even looks like there might be a slight glittery trail where I cut. And I swear to God, I didn't press that hard.

So now I'm frozen with indecision. It seems like my last option is the one I really, really, really don't want to do: take the case off and try to remove the bezel enough to see if there is a small portion of the film sticking up from the corner of the screen like some have described, and, if so, try to yank it off without damaging any of the internal electronics. I found the Service Manual and removing the back case looks clear enough, but it seems like there might be some guess work on how to remove the bezel from the screen. On the off chance the film is there and I can remove it without damaging the screen or myself, there's no guarantee I won't knock something else in the TV out of alignment and create a worse problem.

The TV has endured for almost 10 years, including an interstate and then an intratown move. I'd really hate for its downfall to be some splotches of aging, faulty antiglare.
post #45 of 46 Old 07-03-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have never removed antiglare film from any Trinitron tube. However, any time I see a testimonial, the best method that the most people seem to have found is steel wool. Almost every single person who mentions it says that they thought it was crazy, until they actually did it, and that it just magically removes the stuff without damaging the glass. A little paper towel rub afterwards, maybe some googone if you have sticky stuff left behind and you have a nice, bright, cataract-free CRT again. Some posters in this very thread have mentioned the same method, but I have come across it in other threads here and elsewhere in CRT discussions. Honestly, if I needed to do that I would still remove the bezel to be thorough, but the 0000 grade steel wool should not damage the glass. There were also models made of various XBRs that specifically did not have the antiglare film. Perhaps you have one of those?
post #46 of 46 Old 07-03-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Try searching this thread using their search function using the keywords bezel and steel wool, should land you on those posts.

I was assuming you have a 960 but if it has an N on the end of the model number then it doesn't have the AG.

"cataract-free CRT"

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page