Sony 34XBR960 Anti-Glare Coating Removal - Page 3 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #61 of 69 Old 01-15-2015, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Holy craps again...You're right! Maybe catastrophic implosion/explosion??? Is that why there don't seem to be anyone around here anymore who has removed their film back in the day?!? Now I'm worried...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 01-16-2015, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I guess it could act as a net to slow down glass particle projectiles. If it was such a big deal I wonder how Sony made up for it on the N models? Do they have clear film? At least it also does help prevent glass scratches. I would contact Sony, they still have to support safety and recycle issues.

Funny one on the disappearing film removal posters.

post #63 of 69 Old 01-16-2015, 10:13 PM

I can't possibly entertain the notion the film is there in case the ~4.5 INCHES thick glass suddenly shatters...You know?
But seriously...WTF?
post #64 of 69 Old 01-19-2015, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The notion that antiglare film is used in an attempt to boost the stability of the flat face of the tub is very difficult for me to believe. There is absolutely zero chance that the tube in the N and the standard models are different in any way. The front face of the tube is absolutely the weakest point, when that front is flat, but this is why the frame of the tube is so damn heavy, all up at the front. The heaviest, thickest steel is used there, and its entire purpose is to hold the tube and prevent implosion. Any safety notes in the manual, consumer or service, is absolutely there to caution against removal for potential damage to the tube in the removal process.
post #65 of 69 Old 01-19-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Any safety notes in the manual, consumer or service, is absolutely there to caution against removal for potential damage to the tube in the removal process.
Absolutely? Where did you get that from?

"This film must not be removed as it serves a safety function and removal will increase the risk of serious injury."

After the "and" yes but before the "and" no.

As far as the why "...it serves as a safety function..." we don't know, heck we were just throwing out guesses, sort of in a sarcastically humorous context.

Maybe Sony is just referring to the anti-glare property in terms of eye protection?

Get this - I just downloaded the N manual from Sony and manualslib.com and both were just the 960 manual (no ref. to N, same warning).

post #66 of 69 Old 01-21-2015, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
Absolutely? Where did you get that from?
The fact that the tubes are identical between it and the N looms large. There is no safety risk to watching a non-antiglare film'd CRT, so long as you don't do anything stupid. "Anything stupid" in a manufacturer's eyes would mean opening up the enclosure and messing with it. Maybe not opening up the enclosure and just using a razor blade good and hard doesn't qualify as "anything stupid," but what if you find it as tough to cut through as 9604me did and come back to it with a Ginsu knife, a hatchet, a chainsaw? Honestly, in the world of consumer electronics there is nothing that a legal department will advise you to do to modify your product of their make in the name of covering their own asses.
post #67 of 69 Unread Yesterday, 07:06 PM

I'm still thinking aboot this...Maybe the warning means "...removal will increase the risk of serious injury." refers to the fact that if you peel it off like I did, It'll slice the SH!* of yer hands like it did mine?!? Anyway, since I'm paranoid and possibly insane I cut a section out of the middle of my film, and am going to have it X-ray'd for Pb content,,,just to satisfy this unsatiable mind of mine...
post #68 of 69 Unread Today, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

When I read the sentence as a whole it sounds to me like the film is somehow protective in itself. But it could very well be that they just threw that BS out to cover their own asses like 'Snake stated; in which case I wonder if it was added to a revision of the manual after someone seriously injured themselves tearing the TV apart, etc.

And then there's the question of why does the N model use the same manual/warning? Oversight? Or does the N model still have a clear film? Notice they state "protective film" rather than anti-glare film: "The CRT in this product employs a protective film on the face." Maybe we need to change the name of this thread? lol

And add a 9604me film removal warning.

P.S. And did some have a "Coating" while others had a film?

post #69 of 69 Unread Today, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 334
IMO... use it, abuse it, do it to it and enjoy it while ya got it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page