The Unofficial Sony GDM-FW900 thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #181 of 189 Old 10-30-2014, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
What is the highest resolution the FW900 supports at 160Hz?
I "think" it will do 1152x720, but I have never tested it myself.

With the Nvidia down sampling utility you can down sample from 5120x3200@75hz
Also, of note, is that you can use a program called Custom Resolution Utility to force Windows and Nvidia into believing the monitor has a different default maximum resolution as well. So you could, in theory, force the monitor at 1152x720@160hz then use Nvidia DSR@ 4.00x to achieve a down sampled resolution from 2304x1440.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 189 Old 12-26-2014, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for one in Wisconsin\surround states (only one state over!), also interested in 21" rebranded trinitron & 22" mitsu diamond pro & rebrands. That includes the Lacie blue 22, SGI\SUN 21,22 & 24s, IBM P275, sony PVM\BVMs and Nec\Mitsubishi presentation monitors. These would go to a good home (for less valuable stuff) and for the more valuable stuff I'm willing to pay reasonable prices.
post #183 of 189 Old 01-07-2015, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question Question on distortion of the surface of the glass

Does anyone know what might cause this kind of blemish in one of these monitors?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150107_185028.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	465705   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150107_185007.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	465713  
post #184 of 189 Old 01-08-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Blemish? More like Etch A Sketch. Is the monitor on? Is it in the film? So many questions, so little clarity.

post #185 of 189 Old 01-08-2015, 01:56 PM

Post Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
Blemish? More like Etch A Sketch. Is the monitor on? Is it in the film? So many questions, so little clarity.
Perhaps I should've been more descriptive. The monitor is exhibiting "EtchASketch-like" symptoms that mainly appear when it is off. I am inclined to think it is on the film, but am not sure. Glass cleaner had absolutely no effect and I cannot feel the distortion with my fingernail or fingertip.
post #186 of 189 Old 01-08-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Sorry for the mood. Man I would hope it doesn't do that while on. I could see the film getting that way over a long period of time from glue/structure breakdown if someone had been crazy with a 'pointer' on it, i.e. like a CAD monitor for circuit board design or the like. Or if it had been laying on its face and moved a lot.

On the subject of film that can be removed, there's been some activity recently for this Sony TV:

Sony 34XBR960 Anti-Glare Coating Removal

Just for the heck of it, try a post over there to see if anyone has seen this kind of thing before. The film on that TV was notorious for getting messed up, unglueing, etc.

post #187 of 189 Old 01-08-2015, 05:25 PM

Thumbs up Noted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
Sorry for the mood. Man I would hope it doesn't do that while on. I could see the film getting that way over a long period of time from glue/structure breakdown if someone had been crazy with a 'pointer' on it, i.e. like a CAD monitor for circuit board design or the like. Or if it had been laying on its face and moved a lot.

On the subject of film that can be removed, there's been some activity recently for this Sony TV:

Sony 34XBR960 Anti-Glare Coating Removal

Just for the heck of it, try a post over there to see if anyone has seen this kind of thing before. The film on that TV was notorious for getting messed up, unglueing, etc.
Thanks, I'll check in with that thread too.
Floydage likes this.
post #188 of 189 Old 06-12-2015, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm, I'm getting one of these monitors soon - but there's 2 issues, one being the bottom is blurry, but that should be fixed with convergence and the other is there is a tiny thin horizontal line across the monitor... I have no idea if I can/how to fix that. Any ideas?
post #189 of 189 Unread Today, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The horizontal line is just a part of the tube's construction. I can't remember the specifics, and I'm definitely no expert in the matter, but it's definitely normal and you'll eventually look right past it.

I remember getting mine and thinking the exact same thing. Even contacted the person I bought it from thinking it had a problem. Now, the line doesn't bother me in the least. If I'm working in word/solidworks/multisim/etc., I can see it. But when I'm watching a video or gaming, it's literally invisible.

Regarding the blurriness, is it just out of focus or can you actually see the red and blue out of alignment? Again, no expert here, but convergence should fix color alignment, but not blurriness. However, I read a short while back about a focusing pots being accessible through the top of the case. Google FW900 focusing pots. Lots of info to be had there.

Now for my own question. Anyone know where to get some good quality DVI to BNC cables? The best I've found so far is pccables.com, and I'll likely end up going that route, unless someone suggests otherwise. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page