My picture is bigger than my screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-18-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently repaired a Panasonic CT-36HL43 tv(bad power supply, I have only had the TV for 4 months. My mom replaced it when the PS went out) and when I hooked it up to my DTV R15, I am noticing that the picture is bigger than the viewing area. It is noticeable most when the local news or CNN has a ticker at the bottom, or there is text on one side of the screen, it gets cut off. It does NOT matter if the R15 is set for 4:3, or 16:9 output(this screen is wider than it is tall, but not like a true 16:9). What gives? The R15 is hooked up directly to the TV using S video, as the R15 does not have component out. Please help, it is really annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-18-2009, 05:05 PM
tno

You my friend are dealing with what's known as overscan. It's typical of CRT sets, though it sounds like this may be a pretty bad case of it. In order to fix, you'll have to get into the service menu. I wouldn't go mucking around in that without some caution, though. Messing with those settings could get risky.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-18-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

So a service call for that would run what? A whole lot cheaper than buying a new set? I mean sure, a phat new LCD would be awesome, but not right now, I got a tranny to work on... How would I get into such a menu anyhow? My owners guide certainly doesn't tell me how...
post #4 of 17 Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighxr View Post

So a service call for that would run what? A whole lot cheaper than buying a new set? I mean sure, a phat new LCD would be awesome, but not right now, I got a tranny to work on... How would I get into such a menu anyhow? My owners guide certainly doesn't tell me how...

Have you searched the old Panasonic threads on this forum?
post #5 of 17 Old 01-19-2009, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

I searched for my TV and found nothing of value... I'l try looking for Panasonic only...
post #6 of 17 Old 01-19-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I searched, and all I can find is something saying that the TVmenu, and the Service menu you referenced are the same? I can't find ANY possible way of changing the size, shape, or much else about the picture except the crap the owners manual talks about(color, color temp, vivid, etc...) I think I'm just going to call a mobile service tech to come out, and look at this for me. I'm lost. Unless you know something I don't...
post #7 of 17 Old 01-21-2009, 12:23 PM
tno

If you're not familiar with the service menu and you can't find a really comprehensive guide to it, then your best bet is to steer clear of it. If you can find a television calibrator that is willing to do it on the cheap then try that. otherwise, I'd consider putting up with it because messing with the service menu can cause some damage if not done right.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-15-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Best Buy wants $250 to calibrate . Now granted that is way less than buying a new tv, but I can't believe that it take 5hrs($50 an hour shop rate assumed) to do this. Even accounting for a higher shop rate, and heinous cost for fuel(which is cheap for now) I find it very hard to believ it is that pricey. So how do I get to this calibration menu
post #9 of 17 Old 02-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Try finding a service manual (schematicsforfree.com, servicemanuals.net manualsparadise.com has it 19.95 download) or google. If you repaired the TV, you should have no problem with service menus once you have the information. H and V size need adjustment.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 04:49 PM

Check your remote. Look for the button called position. Push until you get the desired position of your screen.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

No such button on my remote...
post #12 of 17 Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM

Just get a 30 something inch Sony TV off of Craigslist. You can probably find one for free, but definitely for 25-50 dollars. You can probably talk someone down to 20, all they really want to do is get the beast out of their house.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTFTW View Post

Just get a 30 something inch Sony TV off of Craigslist. You can probably find one for free, but definitely for 25-50 dollars. You can probably talk someone down to 20, all they really want to do is get the beast out of their house.

Yeah, trade one 300lb beast for another, methinks not...

I continue to live with this issue, and have noticed that it exists also on my Samsung flat panel as well, especially when a laptop is connected...
post #14 of 17 Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighxr View Post

I recently repaired a Panasonic CT-36HL43 tv(bad power supply, I have only had the TV for 4 months. My mom replaced it when the PS went out) and when I hooked it up to my DTV R15, I am noticing that the picture is bigger than the viewing area. It is noticeable most when the local news or CNN has a ticker at the bottom, or there is text on one side of the screen, it gets cut off. It does NOT matter if the R15 is set for 4:3, or 16:9 output(this screen is wider than it is tall, but not like a true 16:9). What gives? The R15 is hooked up directly to the TV using S video, as the R15 does not have component out. Please help, it is really annoying.

I don't know what you're sourcing it with but that sounds like what a DTV converter box does (and who knows with certain settings of a cable box, etc. ("CNN")). Have you tried sourcing it with something else like a DVD player?

Edit: Der, I missed the DTV R15 part. redface.gif

post #15 of 17 Old 09-27-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

DTV is gone. I have overscan with my converter box(I think), and I know I have it with the laptop. Set up as of today is:

TV(no change)
Pioneer VSX 1020K sending signal to TV and running sound, signal to TV is thru the HDCP DVI port on TV with an HDMI adapter in between receiver and tv(just one of those adapters that allows the HDMI to plug into the DVI)
Laptop is Alienware MX14R2, Core i7 at 3.2Ghz max, Intel HD graphics switchable to Nvidia GT650m with 2gb, laptop has 6gb ram
Sony upconverting 5 disc DVD p[layer(can't remember model)

All sources seem to overscan, with the exception of the live stream from my local news thru laptop(I think, have to look at it again)
post #16 of 17 Old 09-27-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighxr View Post

I recently repaired a Panasonic CT-36HL43 tv(bad power supply,
The cause of this (excessive?) overscan is probably due to the fact that you "repaired" the power supply.
You typically have to perform adjustments, maybe even a complete realignment, when repairing or replacing major components, especially the HV power supply or picture tube..

The Service Menu is for touch-up adjustments that should only be used after the mechanical/manual adjustments are completed.

But 10 to 15% overscan is typical for CRT TVs. You cannot and should not try to eliminate the overscan as if this TV was a computer monitor. CRT computer monitors are designed to underscan the image. CRT TVs are designed to overscan the image. (For some reason even flat-panel TVs will overscan, although there is often a setting to "just fit" the image.)

Since your laptop has a nVidia GPU, the nVidia Control Panel can shrink the image to compensate for the overscan (although there will be a slight loss of PQ due to the scaling). And a few (badly coded) popup windows will not properly scale their text.

Regards
post #17 of 17 Old 09-27-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Might try the DVD direct to rule out the Pioneer VSX.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page