Moving your HEAVY Sony TV...Tell your story - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 69 Old 03-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

To All: I live in a building that has multiple meters, and even more AC panels. All the panels are a mixed bag, as I said before, "it's always been a chore to figure out what goes where, as there does not seem to have been wired at one time. As additional development became the norm after the initial construction of the building, some breaker panels share circuits from other units.

As an example, there are three panels that supply my loft, and the garage where the outlets were to be added. No work was going to happen in my loft, so technically, there should have been no need to switch circuits off or on. He couldn' t find the circuit or the panel for the garage to be worked on so it became a frustrating situation for the electrician and he began switching anything and everything in all the panels in the building. It turns out that the circuit for my garage appliance outlets is not wired into the garage AC Panel, but it appears on the AC Panel in my loft. Go figure!!!

I, of all people, did not think I needed to unplug anything in my loft, as that is (not) where the work was to be done.

I agree, this has become a waaaaaay of topic issue.

PS The electrician will not return my several (repeated) phone calls... Moving right along....:confused:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 03-19-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Probably wasn't enough breakerage on the garage panels when the appliance outlets were added. Another case is if you have FPE boxes, breakers for those cost a small fortune (litigation issue - long story but just do a search on FPE breaker litigation). My neighborhood is the 'lucky' recipient of FPE installs so my neighbor found it was way cheaper to add an auxiliary box rather than buy FPE box-compatible breakers when he did a patio expansion.

It shouldn't be too mixed up, all of your circuits should source directly to your own meter. Otherwise folks are paying for other folks 'tricity. And that would probably be a code violation as well as a potential fire hazard. Sounds like someone did a piss-poor job of labeling circuits.

post #63 of 69 Old 03-20-2014, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Are we still talking about moving CRTs? The first time I moved a KV-40XBR800 there were four of us and we just about killed somebody when he tripped.

Turns out, when I had to move it later with only one other person, this TV can be easily lifted by only two people. And I'm not exactly a big guy either. There are really just two things about it.

1. You need to know where to hold the television.
2. You need to lift the television by standing your legs straight up.

Once you do that, two adult males can lift it easily. Moving it is not a great deal more difficult. It was actually a hell of a LOT easier lifting and moving it with that one other person than it was moving it with four people. Oh and I forgot one third secret.

3. Each of the two people moving the thing needs to not be chicken **** about it.

Seriously, I was chicken myself, just remembering what kind of hell we had getting it on a truck and back off again inside the house. When I let that go behind me and just tried to lift the thing straight up properly, I felt like a jedi in training marveling in wonderment at the X-Wing raising itself out of the swamp.
post #64 of 69 Old 03-20-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 315
And now the folks of Alderaan and Tatooine can sleep easier Jedi master.

Large CRT's were/are heavy. That's part of the reason why manufacturers stopped production. wink.gif
post #65 of 69 Old 03-20-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

2. You need to lift the television by standing your legs straight up.

I suspect I'm misinterpreting this, you know the ol' bend at the knees when lifting to keep from injuring one's back. eek.gif

And darn stairs - probably the safest to do with this kind of weight is to wiggle it up step by step. No legs straight up for the top guy, that's for sure.

post #66 of 69 Old 03-20-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

I suspect I'm misinterpreting this, you know the ol' bend at the knees when lifting to keep from injuring one's back. eek.gif

I spose you are misinterpreting because it sounds to me like we are saying the same thing different ways. I did almost no actual "lifting" of my arms at all, just went from standing to squatting, butt against the back of my ankles (knees bent and pointing up), gripped underneath in two spots around the frame on my side, and then stood up straight. That simple.

We didn't move it up or down stairs, just out the door with maybe a 5 inch drop to the curb, then up into a truck bed. If I had to move it up stairs, (or down) I imagine I would hire a mover with more equipment, those motorized platforms make short work of heavy furniture and stairs.
post #67 of 69 Old 03-21-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I just didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea, "standing your legs straight up" to some may sound like keeping your legs straight while lifting which would require using your back. Now I see that you mean to use your legs to lift, not your arms. Not really that simple IMO.

Stairs comment was just a sidebar since I think it was caseypons stating they had to move one of these beasts on stairs.

My worst experience was having to lift my newfound 200 lb. Panny off a loading dock to my van. My friend is stronger than I so that beast was leaning my way too, I was definitely struggling. I ended up with some serious gut pain that evening so I succumbed to a small hernia.

post #68 of 69 Old 03-21-2014, 01:07 PM

I carried a 32 in up the stairs to put in a bedroom once, got it stuck in the doorway and had no choice but to drop it. Luckily it still works to this day.

post #69 of 69 Old 04-12-2014, 01:05 AM

Oh God, I am picking up a 37" Wega tomorrow to go in our new house. Why did I look at this thread? I am terrified now. But it's 20 dollars, and I'm tired of my 2 YO hogging time on my Samsung plasma. At least I won't have to haul the thing up any stairs.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page