What Are The Best 4:3 Televisions? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2010, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
for all you search junkies, I don't know if you all know about this or not but there is a website that lets you search the whole USA and world even for craigslist ads. just type in what you are looking for, when results are listed click on the "display options" and choose to have results listed together.

www.searchtempest.com

sadly for you seekers of that set, I already looked and there are no KV-32XBR100's for sale in the entire USA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbunder View Post

for all you search junkies, I don't know if you all know about this or not but there is a website that lets you search the whole USA and world even for craigslist ads. just type in what you are looking for, when results are listed click on the "display options" and choose to have results listed together.

www.searchtempest.com

sadly for you seekers of that set, I already looked and there are no KV-32XBR100's for sale in the entire USA.

Thanks a lot!

I would have to guess that there are a least a couple for sale in the entire U.S. I would think that the only reason we can't find them is because the seller doesn't list the model number in the description, which is very often the case on Craigslist. Especially when dealing with old T.V.'s.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post

I have an Atari 2600 and Atari 5200 system hooked up to my current 32" SDTV.

The 34XS955 is a 16:9 TV and the 36XS955 is a 4:3 TV. I take it that 16:9 content onf the 36XS955 is letterboxed, no?

TLK

16:9 content on the 36" 4:3 set has bars on the top and bottom. On the 16:9, 4:3 content has bars on the left and right.

I wouldn't imagine your atari would look good on the HDTV, infact I'm almost sure of it.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copr View Post

Thanks a lot!

I would have to guess that there are a least a couple for sale in the entire U.S. I would think that the only reason we can't find them is because the seller doesn't list the model number in the description, which is very often the case on Craigslist. Especially when dealing with old T.V.'s.

copr, you hit the nail on the head. Most people have no idea what there set they are selling is and they won't label the model #. I usually have to email them and ask for it. Just search "Sony 32" or "Sony TV" and filter through all the TVs until you find one that looks like it may be it in the picture, then email them and ask if it's a KV-32XBR100 on the back of the set.

Honestly, if you did that with searchtempest you would be looking through millions of sets. Not something I would want to filter through. lol. I'll stick with Houston Craigslist. haha.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonp514 View Post

16:9 content on the 36" 4:3 set has bars on the top and bottom. On the 16:9, 4:3 content has bars on the left and right.

I wouldn't imagine your atari would look good on the HDTV, infact I'm almost sure of it.

My Atari systems are not the deal breakers here!

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow.

TLK
Old 07-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:

My Atari systems are not the deal breakers here!

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow.

TLK

LOL, however for me if it was the only TV I was allowed to have, it would be a deal breaker. I LOVE my SNES and PS1. They both look bad on an HDTV.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Boothman, please tell me more about this set. How is the geometry? I hear that broadcast monitors are developed to a higher standard. Is this true? I checked a pdf of this set and see that is has S-Video in the back and can do NTSC and PAL, that's pretty cool. Anything you want to add about your set?
Thanks.

If you check the pdf for the owner's manual it explains everything and shows menu screens with the many options for adjusting set. Unfortunately it's just sitting unused now. I may still use it to watch old laserdiscs and beta tape. You can adjust all aspects of picture size and tilt.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothman View Post

If you check the pdf for the owner's manual it explains everything and shows menu screens with the many options for adjusting set. Unfortunately it's just sitting unused now. I may still use it to watch old laserdiscs and beta tape. You can adjust all aspects of picture size and tilt.

I did look at the pdf and saw that. That's pretty awesome. I heard that the PVM TVs are created to a way higher standard than the regular Trinitrons. I'm assuming that is true for this set.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder why you think it wouldn't look good? A 480i signal will be able to have DRC applied 3 different ways (cinemotion/progressive and interlaced) - shouldn't that adequately address an ATARI input? Why would an older SDTV display 480i material in a superior fashion?

Anyway -to clarify one point (the 16:9 comment is a little misleading) this set (36kd955xs) shrinks all the scan lines vertically into a 16:9 window upon sensing 1080i or 720p input, it doesn't merely cut off the top and bottom by sending black lines. - You still have screen control to get zoom as well as horizontal and vertical expand modes - which I have found are actually quite useful depending on the source material. In particular the vertical expand works wonders on a 1080i input of 480p material to get proper aspect ratio for some 4:3 material depending on how you have your source output setup.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:

LOL, however for me if it was the only TV I was allowed to have, it would be a deal breaker. I LOVE my SNES and PS1. They both look bad on an HDTV.

Well, I bought it this morning. The seller had it hooked up to an outside antenna, and all of the local digital channels come in fine. I hooked it up to my satellite box via HDMI, played both SD and HD content on the DVR, and there were no geometry issues that I could see. A really nice picture! I'm happy.

The only issue is that it's HUGE! Getting it out of the seller's house and into my minivan was a pain due to its girth and weight -- it took three grown men to do it. Now, I have to figure out how to get it into my house, which is a split-level. That means I'm going to have to get it up a half-flight of stairs. I'm also the only grown man in my family, so I'm going to have to hire the next-door-neighbor's teenager to help me get it into my house!

TLK
Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Well, I bought it this morning. The seller had it hooked up to an outside antenna, and all of the local digital channels come in fine. I hooked it up to my satellite box via HDMI, played both SD and HD content on the DVR, and there were no geometry issues that I could see. A really nice picture! I'm happy.

The only issue is that it's HUGE! Getting it out of the seller's house and into my minivan was a pain due to its girth and weight -- it took three grown men to do it. Now, I have to figure out how to get it into my house, which is a split-level. That means I'm going to have to get it up a half-flight of stairs. I'm also the only grown man in my family, so I'm going to have to hire the next-door-neighbor's teenager to help me get it into my house!

TLK

Haha, it is a pain to move I will agree. I moved my 34 inch from upstairs apartment and I have moved a 36 inch as well. Having a rolling dolly is very helpful when wanting to move them. I never had that but I wish I did!
Old 07-03-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch View Post

I wonder why you think it wouldn't look good? A 480i signal will be able to have DRC applied 3 different ways (cinemotion/progressive and interlaced) - shouldn't that adequately address an ATARI input? Why would an older SDTV display 480i material in a superior fashion?

Anyway -to clarify one point (the 16:9 comment is a little misleading) this set (36kd955xs) shrinks all the scan lines vertically into a 16:9 window upon sensing 1080i or 720p input, it doesn't merely cut off the top and bottom by sending black lines. - You still have screen control to get zoom as well as horizontal and vertical expand modes - which I have found are actually quite useful depending on the source material. In particular the vertical expand works wonders on a 1080i input of 480p material to get proper aspect ratio for some 4:3 material depending on how you have your source output setup.

An atari signal would be 240p, a low definition signal. Kind of like how my SNES and PS1 output 240p. HDTVs think 240p is really 480i and they line double it and screw up the picture. The only way to properly output a PS1 game is through a PS3 which will upconvert it properly and then display it via 1080i. Problem is I still love my SNES and N64 as well, which are also both low definition signals. That's why I can't use an HDTV for my retro gaming.

Also, I didn't mean that it cuts off the picture, it does shrink the vertical lines, that's correct. Thank you for clarifying.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If someone in the Denver area wants to buy a Sony 32XBR100 I have one that I haven't used for some time. Pm me.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post

If someone in the Denver area wants to buy a Sony 32XBR100 I have one that I haven't used for some time. Pm me.

Dang, I wish I could pick that beauty up! Anyone on here live in Denver?
Old 07-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post

That makes two of us. Moving to Houston anytime soon? lol.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

I hate to bring an old thread back to life, but what do you guys think is a fair price for a KV-32XBR100?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copr View Post

I hate to bring an old thread back to life, but what do you guys think is a fair price for a KV-32XBR100?

A 12 year old non-HD crt? $30 maybe $50 from an old school gamer?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-19-2010, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

I think it would be hard to give away a non HD CRT. It is hard enough to find a buyer for the really great HD CRT's. Peeps just don't want CRT in general because of their age, size, and weight.

If I was selling one I wouldn't turn down any offers, and would list it at no more than $25 or $30.

On the other hand, if you are looking for one and can't find them on CL, try the Goodwill or someplace like that where they sell used goods. I bet many people donate them just to be rid of them.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Ducky View Post

I think it would be hard to give away a non HD CRT. It is hard enough to find a buyer for the really great HD CRT's. Peeps just don't want CRT in general because of their age, size, and weight.

If I was selling one I wouldn't turn down any offers, and would list it at no more than $25 or $30.

On the other hand, if you are looking for one and can't find them on CL, try the Goodwill or someplace like that where they sell used goods. I bet many people donate them just to be rid of them.

This is the highest end SD-CRT television ever made, you guys know that right? I am looking into getting one, but the seller wanted $300 to begin with, and has now said he is willing to take $175. I was hoping to spend around $100, as I really don't need this set, and am only getting it to play NES/SNES/N64 on it.
I've been watching sales on high end XBR SD-CRT's, but the XBR100 hardly ever shows up for sale on ebay/craigslist.
I don't want to low ball the guy, but I certainly don't want to overpay on this thing, so I figured I'd ask the pros (you guys) before I go any further.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:24 PM

So what is the theory on the reason old consoles display better on a SDCRT than a HDCRT?

There is no question that they look way better on CRT than LCD, but I have a XBR 910 HDCRT and it displays the SNES pretty well. Even seems that the SNES supports wide screen resolution because the image filled the screen and didn't look stretched.

I booted SNES Yoshi's Island on my HDCRT 910 which has a Super Fine Pitch tube displaying at 1440x1080i and somehow a tube that does 480i will make the game look better?

I dunno because I haven't seen the game in 480i, so I can't compare. But if both sets are CRT how does displaying a much higher resolution come out on the short end?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

There is no theory. This thing will make NES and N64 games look quite a bit better than an HDCRT. I have a KD-36XS955 (top of the line HDCRT) and while SNES looks really good hooked up via S-Video, N64 looks awful, and NES only looks alright.
I've never actually seen a KV-32XBR100 in person, but it should make NES/SNES/N64 games look awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Ducky View Post

So what is the theory on the reason old consoles display better on a SDCRT than a HDCRT?

There is no question that they look way better on CRT than LCD, but I have a XBR 910 HDCRT and it displays the SNES pretty well. Even seems that the SNES supports wide screen resolution because the image filled the screen and didn't look stretched.

I booted SNES Yoshi's Island on my HDCRT 910 which has a Super Fine Pitch tube displaying at 1440x1080i and somehow a tube that does 480i will make the game look better?

I dunno because I haven't seen the game in 480i, so I can't compare. But if both sets are CRT how does displaying a much higher resolution come out on the short end?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:40 AM

Okay I see. But remember, the 100 still will be displaying old technology at 480i. We all have great memories of these games and how fantastic they looked. I remember seeing Zelda OOT and thinking this is as good as graphics need to look!

No matter what TV the old consoles are displayed on, they will never look awesome. They are not going to look as good as we remember them, that is my point. Enjoy the trip back with the old games and rest assured that the 100 is giving the best display possible
Old 12-20-2010, 12:35 PM

Interesting thread. I have the Sony KV-40XBR800. When I bought it in 2002 or so, it was certainly the best 4:3 TV I could find that also supported HD up to 1080i. I remember seeing NFL Sunday Ticket in HD, wow. There were a few monster Pro-Scan 16:9 CRTs at the time as well, but lack of HD content pushed me to 4:3, where 95% of the channels would be broadcast.

I am gonna sell it though due to lack of space. It is certainly large, and takes 4 people to move. The HD picture still looks far better than any LCD. Similar to a Plasma. I played Intellivision, Dreamcast, N64, SNES, and XBOX through it. The only Dreamcast annoyance is that the Light Gun does not work on Progressive Scan screens.

PM me if interested, its in Central NJ. Includes the matching Sony stand with glass shelves as well. Trying to avoid Craigslist BS....

Derek
Old 12-24-2010, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophiliac View Post

Proton also made some very very nice CRT sets..

had to comment on the Proton seen one of them back in the 80s 27'' were very popular then. the best were the "mit's and jvc" well not really the Proton was off the charts better. seen them side by side by side watching a soap opera the room the actors were in had walnut crown molding and with the other 2 sets it just looked brown, but the Proton showed the fine detail on the beautiful crown molding. man i wanted that set. but it was $2600 mit's and jvc about $700 got the mit's.

my Mitsubishi WD-62827 DLP 8+ years now,new Lamp and mirror & lens cleaning last year and she's like new again. sweet and she has over 33,000 hours now.the most important reading you might ever do.http://www.resurrectionism.com/drgenescott.html
Old 12-31-2010, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well guys, I picked up the KV-32XBR100 that I was talking about. This set is freaking awesome, and everything works great (hope it stays that way for a while).
For anyone who owns one of these, do you have any settings/tips that might help out? I've just kept the picture on standard so far, and it looks good, but I'm wondering if it can be even better.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sorry I know this is an old thread but I felt like I have to address something...

There is a way you can make your retro gaming (NES/SNES/SEGA/N64) look outstanding on a 34XBR960. The answer is a modded Xbox.

As long as you own the games it isn't illegal. I have a huge collection of old games and your right they don't look good with the systems hooked up to hd crts. But the Xbox displays perfectly with hd crts. In my case the Xbox with emulators look as good as ANY SD CRT.

I just wanted to clear that up to those thinking they HAVE to seek a 4:3 tv for the old systems. Not necessarily true.