What Are The Best 4:3 Televisions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 56 Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm into retro video games, and as we all know, they look and play better on CRT televisions. Since I play alot of NES/SNES/N64, I want one that is a 4:3 model.
I recently picked up a Sony Trinitron KV-32HS510 and like it a lot, but I know there has to be something better out there.
I'm looking for the absolute top of the line 4:3 Televisions ever made. The Sony KV-40XBR800 looks really nice, but I've read quite a few negative comments on it as well.
The Sony KD-36XS955 seems to get quite a bit of praise as well, and is a Super Fine Pitch (what does this mean?) model as well.

Are there two models the two best 4:3 CRT televisions ever made? If there are others that are in the same league, please let me know.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 03-05-2010, 09:57 PM

You will have a hard time finding a used Loewe, but they brought a bunch to the states over the years. Proton also made some very very nice CRT sets. Hard to find those as well. The Sonys you mentioned are very nice. I used to always want one of the 36"XBR sets I used to deliver all the time. Heavy SOBS though.

I lucked out and picked up a 38" 16:9 Loewe Aconda for a song and even though it is sitting unused in the spare room, I cannot get rid of it. It looks much better than anything I have come across.
post #3 of 56 Old 03-06-2010, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophiliac View Post

You will have a hard time finding a used Loewe, but they brought a bunch to the states over the years. Proton also made some very very nice CRT sets. Hard to find those as well. The Sonys you mentioned are very nice. I used to always want one of the 36"XBR sets I used to deliver all the time. Heavy SOBS though.

I lucked out and picked up a 38" 16:9 Loewe Aconda for a song and even though it is sitting unused in the spare room, I cannot get rid of it. It looks much better than anything I have come across.

Thanks for the reply. I've heard about the Loewe models before, but they are VERY hard to find in my neck of the woods. I'm most likely going to have to drive around 4 hours to get the Sony model that I want (if it ever pops up).
post #4 of 56 Old 03-06-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Sony KD-36XS955 seems to get quite a bit of praise as well, and is a Super Fine Pitch (what does this mean?) model as well.

I have that tv as well as what others consider the pinnacle of crt tvs - the xbr960n 34" 16:9

Although the latter is 1" larger in 16:9 mode (34 vs 33 inches) imo the KD-36XS955 is superior

For many reasons. The linearity in the corners is much better on the 36 inch set, whereas convergence and linearity causes problems in the corners of the 960 - the 36 inch set has none of these problems as it is just shrinking the 1080i lines into a 16:9 letter box (and retaining all info). The zoom is great for HD when you don't care about cutting off edges - but not sure how this will help for your application; for real 4:3 without zoom and overscan you need to feed it 480p or 480i

The SFP means horizontal resolution of around 1400 or so of the HD signals provided 1980 - so you can see all the resolution considering the size of the display and your viewing distance (most crt HDTVs have horizontal resolution around 850-900)

Another place this set shines is for memory stick watching of photos - the resoluton carries through here (photos are 4:3 and look great), as well as output from Digital camcorders) and it is outstanding

The 960 xbr does have some important features missing in the 36kd - including firewire support (which is great for me for archiving HD files with my d-vhs deck.

They both have cable card featuer - so I can save $5 a month and still see all my subscribed content (and record all copy once to the d-vhs on the 960 via firewire)

Both also have HDMI which is an important feature

The KD-36XS955 can be hard to find - but the ones I have seen occasionally locally have not gone for much on CL
post #5 of 56 Old 03-06-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!
I'm definitely going to pick up the KD-36XS955 when one pops up nearby. I'm willing to drive around 4 hours in any direction, so one will show up sooner or later (I hope).
post #6 of 56 Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by copr View Post

Thanks for the reply!
I'm definitely going to pick up the KD-36XS955 when one pops up nearby. I'm willing to drive around 4 hours in any direction, so one will show up sooner or later (I hope).

Check out the 32XBR100 also. It is the best SFP picture in a 4:3 set I have ever seen. Bought it new in 1997 for $3,000 and just got rid of it last year.

99.5% Dark Matter
post #7 of 56 Old 03-15-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui View Post

Check out the 32XBR100 also. It is the best SFP picture in a 4:3 set I have ever seen. Bought it new in 1997 for $3,000 and just got rid of it last year.

Sorry, that is not an SFP model. Its not even HD but 480i. But it probably did have a nice picture.

Check out the WEGA WIKI for model specs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA
post #8 of 56 Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
post #9 of 56 Old 03-15-2010, 03:53 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch View Post

Sorry, that is not an SFP model. Its not even HD but 480i. But it probably did have a nice picture.

I thought he was looking for a 4:3 CRT system. The 32XBR100 has 800 lines of horizontal resolution. See http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-...mdl=KV32XBR100 and click on "Specs".

I also have the 46XBR8 and the 34XBR960 CRT. The 32XBR100 had the best 4:3 SD picture quality with the XBR8 and the 960 (recently ISF'd) a tie for pic quality.

99.5% Dark Matter
post #10 of 56 Old 03-28-2010, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

No, it doesn't have a totally flat screen. What it does have is the most perfect geometry, color accuracy, etc, ever put into a crt television. For 480i sources it blows any wega out of the water. The XBR-100 was the benchmark against which all other tvs were judged during the time it was in production. Subsequent Wegas may have had flat screens and later HD capability but were still not in it's league with 480i sources.

Steve S.
post #11 of 56 Old 06-10-2010, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

I finally found one a KD-35XS955 locally (well 3 hours away anyway), so I figured I'd bump this up.
The guy wants $200, but that includes the Sony stand as well, and he says the television is in perfect shape.
Should I jump on it? Is this a good deal? He originally wanted $400, so he is coming down quite a bit.
I know 3 hours seems like a really far drive for most of you, but I live in a very remote area, and the chances of one popping up nearby is slim to none.
post #12 of 56 Old 06-11-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I finally found one a KD-35XS955 locally (well 3 hours away anyway), so I figured I'd bump this up.
The guy wants $200, but that includes the Sony stand as well, and he says the television is in perfect shape.
Should I jump on it? Is this a good deal? He originally wanted $400, so he is coming down quite a bit.
I know 3 hours seems like a really far drive for most of you, but I live in a very remote area, and the chances of one popping up nearby is slim to none.

I think the price couldn't be better for such a great crt set w stand (you mean 36 - not 35 - correct?). It is far better looking on the SONY stand which mates up perfectly with the TV and has pins to hold in place for safety.

With the drive its much harder to judge. (6 hours at 50 mph maybe equates to $300 plus your time), but still a reasonable deal in your situation.
post #13 of 56 Old 06-12-2010, 10:12 AM

They also sell new crt "Arcade monitors" that would probably be perfect for what you're wanting:
http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade-...d9400-monitor/

From the description, it sounds like it's perfect for what you want, the only problem is it doesn't have a cabinet or tuner.
post #14 of 56 Old 06-12-2010, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For those near Cleveland Ohio that want a Sony KD-36XS955, check this out!:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/1763899257.html
post #15 of 56 Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oops, yeah I ment the KD-36XS955.
Actually, now I found another one that is on to way to NYC, and my wife and I are going to visit her sister in NYC next weekend. So this is much more convenient. The only downfall is that it doesn't come with a stand, and costs the same amount. I really didn't want the stand anyway, as I'll be hooking up 5 video game systems to it, and the stand doesn't have a ton of room (I know this as I already have a KV-32HS510 with Sony stand).
Is this still a good deal? Should I jump on it?

Quote:

I think the price couldn't be better for such a great crt set w stand (you mean 36 - not 35 - correct?). It is far better looking on the SONY stand which mates up perfectly with the TV and has pins to hold in place for safety.

With the drive its much harder to judge. (6 hours at 50 mph maybe equates to $300 plus your time), but still a reasonable deal in your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_coulter View Post

They also sell new crt "Arcade monitors" that would probably be perfect for what you're wanting:
http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade-...d9400-monitor/

From the description, it sounds like it's perfect for what you want, the only problem is it doesn't have a cabinet or tuner.

Those monitors looks pretty sweet, but what the heck would I do with one? LOL. Also, they are a bit on the small side.
post #16 of 56 Old 06-18-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:

I'm into retro video games, and as we all know, they look and play better on CRT televisions. Since I play alot of NES/SNES/N64, I want one that is a 4:3 model.
I recently picked up a Sony Trinitron KV-32HS510 and like it a lot, but I know there has to be something better out there.
I'm looking for the absolute top of the line 4:3 Televisions ever made. The Sony KV-40XBR800 looks really nice, but I've read quite a few negative comments on it as well.

Are there two models the two best 4:3 CRT televisions ever made? If there are others that are in the same league, please let me know.

Thanks!

You don't want to play PS1 generation games and older on a Hi-Scan 1080i CRT. They don't properly upconvert the 240p signal of older games and make the picture look blockier. If you want to play retro games get a retro TV, simple as that. I just purchased a 27" KV-27V42 off craigslist and the geometry on it is almost perfect and the picture quality is great. Got it for 40 bucks.

Now you can play PS1 games on a 1080i CRT via a PS3 because the PS3 will properly upconvert the signal and display it on the high scan TV correctly and actually makes for a nice picture without the scanlines you find on 480i TVs. But, I love the "V" series Trinitron. It was made in 1999 and is a pre-WEGA non flat screen Trinitron. Almost flat though because it is a Trinitron.

I have a super fine pitch KD-34XS955 that I bought off craigslist for $100 bucks. Trust me, the super fine pitch is AWESOME. I love it for watching HD Television. I really don't want to play videogames on it though. I think the HD LCD I bought plays PS3 games real well. I just don't like the blur that LCDs have.

So in conclusion, for retro games, get a retro Trinitron TV. They seem to be made to a better standard than the newer SDTV WEGAs. Just hope that they took good care of the Trinitron when you check it out because it may have been treated bad and therefore have the settings all messed up and trashed the TV. Luckily for me that wasn't the case.
post #17 of 56 Old 06-20-2010, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, so I picked the KD-36XS955 today on my way back.

I have one concern though. The guy I bought it from said that he used to clean the screen with windex, which I know is a big no no. The screen looks really good, and I couldn't see any visible damage. Could there be damage that can't be seen with the naked eye?
Also, is this model supposed to have an anti reflective coating, because I honestly can't see it if it is there.
Please help.
post #18 of 56 Old 06-20-2010, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I have cleaned my for years with eye glass towlettes and also things like windex

It doesn't have the external anti- glare coating that comes off like on some 960xbr's
post #19 of 56 Old 06-20-2010, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have cleaned my for years with eye glass towlettes and also things like windex

It doesn't have the external anti- glare coating that comes off like on some 960xbr's

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear that the windex shouldn't have damaged the screen. The screen appears to be in perfect condition, at least to my eyes and also when shining a flashlight at the screen from all angles to look for any damage.
I didn't think that it had the coating, but I wanted to be 100% sure.

I was able to get it in my basement tonight (thanks to my powerlifter friend) without causing any damage to the screen or front of the set. We did however hit the back of the set against the wall very lightly. It didn't appear to do any damage really, but I think some paint came off the wall and onto the television. I tried to just wipe it off with a wet cotton rag, but it didn't come off. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I was thinking maybe Magic eraser? It really doesn't matter all that much anyway, but I was just wondering.
post #20 of 56 Old 06-26-2010, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui View Post

I'm actually looking for one right now, but they are very hard to find compared to the high end HD CRT models. Maybe less people bought them, or they don't want to get rid of them or something, but I couldn't even find a single one on Craigslist.

The KV-32XBR100 should have the best SD picture for retro video games, right? I'm thinking that since it has S-Video hookups that the picture for Gamecube/Wii should look pretty good as well.
post #21 of 56 Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:

I'm actually looking for one right now, but they are very hard to find compared to the high end HD CRT models. Maybe less people bought them, or they don't want to get rid of them or something, but I couldn't even find a single one on Craigslist.

The KV-32XBR100 should have the best SD picture for retro video games, right? I'm thinking that since it has S-Video hookups that the picture for Gamecube/Wii should look pretty good as well.

I also want one of these TVs. Hopefully somebody in the Houston area will have one on Craigslist to sell someday. I did find one guy selling his in SFBay and another in Chicago...both WAY too far for me! My dream videogame/office would have a KV-32XBR100 for NES/SNES/N64/PS1 and KD-34XBR960 for PS2/PS3/Wii + future systems. I have a KV-27V42 that's keeping me decently happy (better than the WEGA KD-27FS170 on geometry) and will hold me until then.

I would think that your 36XS955 would be perfect for the Gamecube and Wii? I have a 34XS955 and there's no upconverting issues when hooking up the Wii because it's 480p and I'm pretty sure the gamecube is 480i which upconverts smoothly. The only systems that don't like HDTVs are the PS1 and older. The SDTVs create the scanlines from the 240p signal of old school consoles. The HDTVs screw up that low def signal and it looks terrible, that's why no LCD or Plasma will play old games properly, just a SDTV CRT.
post #22 of 56 Old 06-27-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, I'm really looking for one in the NYC,NJ,Philly,Syracuse,Albany area, but they are VERY hard to find!
My dream setup would be the exact same thing, except I would want the KD-34XBR960N for my Gamecube/Wii, as I don't need the anti glare film because the sets will be in my dark basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonp514 View Post

I also want one of these TVs. Hopefully somebody in the Houston area will have one on Craigslist to sell someday. I did find one guy selling his in SFBay and another in Chicago...both WAY too far for me! My dream videogame/office would have a KV-32XBR100 for NES/SNES/N64/PS1 and KD-34XBR960 for PS2/PS3/Wii + future systems. I have a KV-27V42 that's keeping me decently happy (better than the WEGA KD-27FS170 on geometry) and will hold me until then.

I would think that your 36XS955 would be perfect for the Gamecube and Wii? I have a 34XS955 and there's no upconverting issues when hooking up the Wii because it's 480p and I'm pretty sure the gamecube is 480i which upconverts smoothly. The only systems that don't like HDTVs are the PS1 and older. The SDTVs create the scanlines from the 240p signal of old school consoles. The HDTVs screw up that low def signal and it looks terrible, that's why no LCD or Plasma will play old games properly, just a SDTV CRT.

post #23 of 56 Old 06-29-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:

There is one in Houston's CL page that was just added today for $150. If I was still looking for one I would jump on it myself. Here is the link:

http://houston.craigslist.org/ele/1817519300.html
post #24 of 56 Old 06-29-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mloot View Post

There is one in Houston's CL page that was just added today for $150. If I was still looking for one I would jump on it myself. Here is the link:

Oh man, if I had the money and the wife wasn't tired of my TV hunting I would jump on it. Too bad I have the 34" model. I'm really looking for a 32XBR100 because its still an SDTV and not an HDTV. Most of my games don't require the HD and some of my old games will look terrible on it. But oh man that's tempting.
post #25 of 56 Old 06-29-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Oh man, if I had the money and the wife wasn't tired of my TV hunting I would jump on it. Too bad I have the 34" model. I'm really looking for a 32XBR100 because its still an SDTV and not an HDTV. Most of my games don't require the HD and some of my old games will look terrible on it. But oh man that's tempting.

Ahh, my bad. I misread your post and thought you were looking for the xs955 instead of the xbr100.
post #26 of 56 Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mloot View Post

There's one in my area for $150, too. I'm thinking of buying it. The seller says that it's in excellent condition and has had no issues with it. It would be replacing a 32" SDTV. What do you think... should I jump on this if it's everything that the seller says it is?

TLK
post #27 of 56 Old 07-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post

There's one in my area for $150, too. I'm thinking of buying it. The seller says that it's in excellent condition and has had no issues with it. It would be replacing a 32" SDTV. What do you think... should I jump on this if it's everything that the seller says it is?

TLK

Yes, yes, and yes. Unless you have some reason to have an SDTV which mine would be for old school games. Otherwise I see no reason not to. The XS955 and XBR960 are almost identical and the 34XS955 I have is nothing short of awesome. I love that TV. It absolutely is better, way better, than the 42" Philips LCD we bought for the living room.
post #28 of 56 Old 07-01-2010, 03:11 PM

I have a Sony PVM-2950Q monitor- the 27 inch black cube sets. It has many great features for adjusting picture. I would think it would rank up there with the best.
post #29 of 56 Old 07-01-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothman View Post

I have a Sony PVM-2950Q monitor- the 27 inch black cube sets. It has many great features for adjusting picture. I would think it would rank up there with the best.

Boothman, please tell me more about this set. How is the geometry? I hear that broadcast monitors are developed to a higher standard. Is this true? I checked a pdf of this set and see that is has S-Video in the back and can do NTSC and PAL, that's pretty cool. Anything you want to add about your set?
Thanks.
post #30 of 56 Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:

Yes, yes, and yes. Unless you have some reason to have an SDTV which mine would be for old school games. Otherwise I see no reason not to. The XS955 and XBR960 are almost identical and the 34XS955 I have is nothing short of awesome. I love that TV. It absolutely is better, way better, than the 42" Philips LCD we bought for the living room.

I have an Atari 2600 and Atari 5200 system hooked up to my current 32" SDTV.

The 34XS955 is a 16:9 TV and the 36XS955 is a 4:3 TV. I take it that 16:9 content onf the 36XS955 is letterboxed, no?

TLK
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page