480p CRTs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a CRT that can do 480p to play older video games on (PS2/Gamecube and older). So far all I can find are 480i TVs, and larger HD CRTs. I'm looking for something around 27-30". Does interlacing make a big difference on a CRT anyways?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 12:59 PM

Why do you want a CRT for old school games?
post #3 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 01:02 PM

Liked: 12
Might as well get an HD CRT as they will handle 480p / 540p and it's about all you will find. I have only heard of one person who had a CRT that did 480p that wasn't an HDTV and it was an old Phillips IDTV (EDTV?) which I have never seen or come across. Here in the US almost all 480p capable consumer CRTs were HDTVs that supported 1080i as well. It's more cost effective to make such a TV work at both those resolutions so that is what they did.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSlayer View Post

Why do you want a CRT for old school games?

What else would you suggest for sources ranging from 256×224 to 720x480?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffo View Post

Might as well get an HD CRT as they will handle 480p / 540p and it's about all you will find. I have only heard of one person who had a CRT that did 480p that wasn't an HDTV and it was an old Phillips IDTV (EDTV?) which I have never seen or come across. Here in the US almost all 480p capable consumer CRTs were HDTVs that supported 1080i as well. It's more cost effective to make such a TV work at both those resolutions so that is what they did.

I'll look for some of the smaller HD CRTs than, thanks.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 PM

You should be able to find 26"-30" 16:9 HD CRTs from Toshiba and Panasonic. Sony also had a 30" model as well. Hit up craigslist or ebay. One thing to note though is many of these sets only support 480p over component or hdmi and will only sync to 480p with a 480p input coming from component or hdmi input. Older systems using S-video or composite input will be upscaled to 1080i. If you really must run everything progressive scan I recommend picking up an old CRT computer monitor and getting yourself an HD gamebox (converts composite, s-video, component to VGA) or running everything via emulation from a computer.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Panasonic used to make 27" EDTV (480p). Though I don't remember the model number.
It's funny that number of EDTV's is so limited and yet we have local station being rebroadcasted just for them. 1080i and 480i duplicate for EDTV. I don't get that...
post #7 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehal256 View Post

What else would you suggest for sources ranging from 256×224 to 720x480?

Are you talking about upscaling? Because ALL displays will scale the image to fit the screen size. So if you have a 27in CRT (4:3) and you have a 27in screen size on a LCD using 4:3 blackbars the image will be the exact same size on the both screens with the difference in actual appearance being between the two screen technologies.

From my personal experience even on a upscaled LCD, PSone games played on a PS2 using component which output at the native 720x240p resolution, looked better then on a CRT. Sure it's got more jaggies but at the same time it looks much more sharp/clear/crisp.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post

Panasonic used to make 27" EDTV (480p). Though I don't remember the model number.
It's funny that number of EDTV's is so limited and yet we have local station being rebroadcasted just for them. 1080i and 480i duplicate for EDTV. I don't get that...

Yeah it is funny how limited the number of EDTVs were. I was looking for one back when CRTs were still being made and could never find one. Went with HD CRT instead.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffo View Post

You should be able to find 26"-30" 16:9 HD CRTs from Toshiba and Panasonic. Sony also had a 30" model as well. Hit up craigslist or ebay. One thing to note though is many of these sets only support 480p over component or hdmi and will only sync to 480p with a 480p input coming from component or hdmi input. Older systems using S-video or composite input will be upscaled to 1080i. If you really must run everything progressive scan I recommend picking up an old CRT computer monitor and getting yourself an HD gamebox (converts composite, s-video, component to VGA) or running everything via emulation from a computer.

Actually, my older systems (Genesis and Saturn), are hooked up via SCART RGB and transcoded directly into YPbPr component.

Quote:

Are you talking about upscaling? Because ALL displays will scale the image to fit the screen size. So if you have a 27in CRT (4:3) and you have a 27in screen size on a LCD using 4:3 blackbars the image will be the exact same size on the both screens with the difference in actual appearance being between the two screen technologies.

From my personal experience even on a upscaled LCD, PSone games played on a PS2 using component which output at the native 720x240p resolution, looked better then on a CRT. Sure it's got more jaggies but at the same time it looks much more sharp/clear/crisp.

Well, I'm not interested in HD on this TV, and any LCDs of this size would either be too expensive or have too poor picture quality. Besides, scaling on a CRT is less destructive than scaling on an LCD, especially one within my price range. As this will be a secondary TV, I might as well get something that looks really good and is cheap. A CRT of this size is perfect for my uses.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:

You do realize the scaling causes input lag right? and who wants black bars in video games eww? and of course don't bother stretching the game. If you are playing Dreamcast ps1/2 etc just play them on the SD crt they way they were suppose to be played. Lightgun games wont work on HD crt either so keep it SD maybe use s video if available? it will look better unless of course you got component for ps2 which i am not sure exist.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 07:54 AM

CRT is your best choice for playing old school videogames by far. Especially when playing 2d games. LCD has (atleast in my experience) motion blur when playing 2D videogames. A CRT will keep up with the background as it moves where as all LCDs that I've ever used cause a terrible blur. Being a person growing up on old 2d games, I simply cannot play them on an LCD. I've never tried a plasma so I can't recommend that.

You should be able to get good deals on craigslist for a nice CRT. Sony makes pretty good tubes (and the most numerous) Only problem I've had on these new CRTs is geometry issues but that's way better a problem than the blur on an LCD. Most of the games are going to be 4:3 so you should probably get a 4:3 CRT. I made the mistake of getting a 34" to play the old games and you either have black bars on the left and right, or you can stretch the picture but that's even more hideous IMO. A 36" is what I'm getting next because in 4:3 mode it's 36" and 16:9 mode it would be 33". That way I don't lose too much space when watching HDTV and I get a lot more when playing my games!

There are component cables for PS2 as well via the multi out connection. You can even play old PS1 games on your PS2 via component and I notice that the picture is most more clear than S-Video and ::shudders:: Composite video. If you need a guide on the screen size and connections google FD/Trinitron Wikipedia and there's a nice chart there. Also always make sure you ask the seller for the model # of the TV and pictures so you don't get scammed.

Good luck on your search!
post #12 of 14 Old 04-09-2013, 09:17 PM

RCA Pro Scan 34" EDTV. (Proscan PS34190 CRT ).... Had that set forever until the tube finally died.... But recall that CRT sets are massive and very deep... That Proscan looked far better than most LCD DISPLAYS ..... even today! When it died and I brought home new DLP... (Top of the line Mitsubishi at the time) my heart sank... The price of forwarding progress was loss of quality black levels and dynamic range. If you've got the space and can find one used for $50...with the remote, it'd be worth it smile.gif.... Without the remote I would pass....you can't change most all the functions from the set directly... Mus have the remote for it.

Good luck!
post #13 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The last post before yours, and the first one in this thread, are nearly three years old. In all likelihood the problem has been solved at this point. At any rate, there are lots of 4:3 TVs that support 480p, about any Trinitron WEGA that is 4:3 will be a HiScan screen and can manage this. Look for the HiScan 4:3 screens here.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
8 years ago, I was in the same boat and I got FW900. I was very happy with it. Dreamcast looked wonderful on it. Because this monitor does not support YUV natively, I hacked PS2 and Xbox to output RGsB (yes, this monitor supports SoG) and modded Gamecube component cable to output RGBHV. Xbox360 also worked beautifully without a hitch. PS3 however, does not output HD in RGsB (only up to 480P) so I used HDFury to convert HDMI into RGBHV but it had an issue. Whenever I tried to play in 1080p, and whenever there is a huge flashes, (like explosions) the monitor blinks like crazy.

But of course, during all those 8 years, I was entirely missing out on 15hz gaming. So I got a 20 inch Sony BVM recently and I now I am gathering money to get the 32 inch version of that monitor. The picture quality is out of this world! And I thought the FW900 and the XBR960 were the pinnacles of CRT displays.

Do give either PVM or BVM a try. You will not be disappointed. smile.gif
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page