Old Zenith keeps turning itself off - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-22-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Zenith 19" TV that is probably 10-14 years old. About 3 years ago the red color went out on it, but would sometimes come back in for a while, but would ultimately be out most of the time. I continued using it that way because I still prefer that over LCD TVs.

So anyway, just recently the TV has been turning itself off within 4 minutes of turning it on. If it will stay on for 4 minutes, then it will stay on until I turn it off. Most of the time it will turn off after about 2 minutes. When it does this, I can't turn it on again unless I unplug it from the wall and plug it back in, or turn the power strip/surge protector off then on. A few seconds before it turns itself off, there are a few horizontal lines and something else that I don't know how to describe. Most of the time now I can't get the TV to stay on at all. Some days I'll get lucky and it will stay on.

Does anyone know why the TV turns off like that? I'm guessing it's pretty much dead and not worth fixing, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-22-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu87 View Post

I'm guessing it's pretty much dead and not worth fixing, correct?

Correct.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-22-2010, 05:18 PM

So, one of the guns is intermittent at best, has been for years, & you prefer that to getting a new TV? Even if you hate LCDs with the passion of a thousand burning suns, you do have other options. A year or two ago, you could very easily have replaced it with another CRT of the same size, although that's a little harder now.

Anyway, you've got little choice now. The behaviour you describe is strongly suggestive of a protection circuit kicking in. In other words, it's probably turning itself off so that it won't set your house on fire.

You'd spend a couple of hundred dollars, minimum, to fix it. I'm sure you could find something acceptable in that price range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 NTSC, PAL, & MUSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, including user guides for Sony MST-2000 and Victor HV-MD2 / Mitsubishi MD-CZ11

post #4 of 4 Old 11-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Check for poor solder (cracks) on the CRT board, that could cause the red to come and go. Other problem could be similar, on the main board. Or protection as mentioned above. Maybe loose power plug in the outlet. Sometimes a nice used CRT TV is on Craigslist if you are not tech inclined.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page