Would you consider CRT technology superior to LCD or Plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 286 Old 12-08-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Before I explain, this is not a flame thread nor is it meant to discredit any type of display but it's something I was wondering since I'm now looking for a new LCD or Plasma display for Boxing Day (best sales of the year in Canada).

Let me give a little background beforehand.

I currently own a working-as-good-as-new Panasonic Tau CT-34WX54 that has been my main set since 2004. I've never had an issue with the TV and still marvel at the picture quality to this day in various applications.

When I first bought the set, rear projection LCD sets were the rage as flat panel displays were quite expensive. I was with my brother at Future Shop as we both went TV hunting that day. He wanted a larger set and bought a Sony RP-LCD while I was adamant in a 34" CRT since. It was between a Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba model side by side and displaying the same content. The Sony was $200 more and although I don't remember the model, I'm quite sure it wasn't the XBR960 since, to me, it didn't look any better than the Panny. My decision was between the Panny and Toshiba since they were both the same price ($2000 at the time) and I settled on the Panny since I've always liked they're Tau's and even their older GAOO line of TVs.

It goes without saying that the set looked obviously better that my brother's new Sony, especially in the contrast and motion blur areas.

Now, pretty much everything looks good on the set, as most who post in this section can attest. SD, Progressive Scan, HD, you name it. Angles aren't an issue, black is BLACK, no motion blur in HD, no refresh rate issues, no input lag, no burn in worries In other words, nothing that is now a buying concern with the current technologies.

Like I said earlier, I'm in the market for a second TV set and still can't decide between either technology. I've narrowed my selections to either the Toshiba 47VX700U or the Panasonic TC-P50G25. I've seen both and both have impressed me but of course, each has it's advantages and disadvantages based on the inherent technology.

Now, taking into account the drawbacks to a CRT display, first and foremost the geometry issues, this is my hypothetical question:

If a CRT could be designed to be as slim yet reach the same sizes as the current technologies, which set would you get?

This is purely based on picture quality and input options, nothing else. I don't take into account power consumption (how many here have a monster stereo receiver along with their big screen?)

It's just that, I've never had to deal with the issues I'm dealing with now when shopping for a CRT.

Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 286 Old 12-08-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina94 View Post

If a CRT could be designed to be as slim yet reach the same sizes as the current technologies, which set would you get?

since it can't, it's not even a worthwhile "thought exercise"....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 286 Old 12-08-2010, 09:58 PM

Liked: 12
It is possible and it was called SED or Surface-conduction electron-emitter display. Unfortunately they have scrapped all plans to produce and release these sets to the public. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface...mitter_display
MilkManX likes this.
post #4 of 286 Old 12-12-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Well, CRT's still off ther best motion. As for color, same deal although I'm guessing alot of these high end 2010 plasmas may beable to produce the same thing, Samsung especially comes to mind. As for black levels, Plasma's have come a long way so there are no worries there.

I'm just wondering when Plasma's will beable to 'match' CRT motion, because that seems to be overlooked whith these new displays, it's always higher contrast ratio's, better black levels and color.
post #5 of 286 Old 12-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

it's always higher contrast ratio's, better black levels and color.

And lower life expectancy, especially true for plasma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
post #6 of 286 Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

CRT is still king.. Still gives the most film like reproduction. I have a Sony 42inch LCD & my father has a 61inch DLP 1080p.... I just bought the XBR910 for 80.00... It easily beats the other displays in many areas.. Minus the higher resolution of my fathers DLP.. Tube technology is tried & true & has been perfected.. You will never see another TV technology last as long as tube technology.. The best direct view HD CRTs embarrass most plasmas/LCD/LED in certain areas.. Motion.. Refresh rate come to mind.. & if you want to get a non CRT with CRT like black levels you better get out your wallet, especially if it's LCD. 6-8 grand.. I bought the hype.. I thought LCD & 720p was better then my 'obsolete' 26inch HD CRT.. Well.. It wasn't.. I think the Pioneer Kuros come the closest to bettering the best direct view ever made.. the 960 or the RCA 38inch behemoth..

On a side note, my father's Panny he bought in 1990 still works perfectly to this day.. His DLP broke in a yr.. CRT's are more reliable as well..

I will always have a CRT in my home until other technologies catch up...I will buy a 960 or the Panasonic the op mentioned in a heart beat over any display 34inches & under...

They are too heavy.. Boo hoo.. Cry me a frickin river..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #7 of 286 Old 12-20-2010, 01:06 PM

I've been keeping an eye on the flat panel displays over the years as I sit at home with my KV-36XBR800 Sony Trinitron WEGA with 5.1 sound system and stand in the basement and my Sony Trinitron 36" CRT(non HD) in the family room (don't know model number). Every time I go and check out the newer, bigger, "better" televisions at my local retailers I just shake my head and walk away. When I tell my friends that I don't think any new sets match my old CRT picture I get nothing but funny looks. I've researched and viewed all of the populer brands and technologies including front projection. Although I am not able to find many front projections setup in the stores in my area for comparison.

I logged in today to ask if anyone had any suggestions on where to look for a large format tv for sale today that could at least match what I'm watching now. I mostly watch football and blu-ray movies, no games. I was blown away watching Avatar on blu-ray on the XBR.

Two reasons I want a new TV are: size, and size. I'm getting ready to remodel my basement and would like a 60" plus 16:9 less than 2 ft. deep. I will say that I agree with another posting that the weight is not a factor. Neither of my current sets have been moved since they were set down when I first got them.

Is there any hope for my basement remodel?
post #8 of 286 Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So glad the question was raised.

I am the proud owner of the Sony KD34XBR960 and would not trade it for any new flat screen produced today, no matter how much bigger the screen size. I will not put down Plasma, LCD, LED, DLP, etc. for those do produce beautiful pictures in their own right, but still lack the punch one gets from CRT.

Too bad most people's experience with CRT has been with standard definition. They would then know what they are missing. Bigger screens are all the rage and I won't deny being floored when seeing the 55 inch LED in HD in our office..., however, it's with the size I'm floored about, not the picture quality. Even though flat panel sets are finally achieving black and contrast ratios that might match CRT, there is more than that which makes the picture jump out at you. Unlike CRT, there is no depth perception and all individuals and things seem un-naturally cardboard flat and right on top of one another. The bigger the picture, the worse it seems. There is also the lack of the very fine detail that the cathoid tube brings out - minute facial blemishes and stubble, that appears smoothed over on our 32 inch LCD in the den. And watching a properly calibrated CRT still seems like looking out a window and more natural.

It's because CRTs are bulky and heavy that we get that perception of depth. It's because LCDs, Plasmas, etc are flat that we get that perception of well...., a flat picture. Again, not knocking flat panels as much as praising CRT.

Joe
post #9 of 286 Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 PM

I dunno if CRT is the superior display, but I prefer it. I have not seen a LCD or plasma display in a long time. I haven't owned one since selling my Sony LCD 1080i TV set a while back. I don't shop for TVs so I haven't seen any on the display floor either. I replaced the LCD with a Sony 910 a couple or three years ago.

My PC monitor is also CRT. A few years ago I picked up a nice Sammy LCD to replace my outmoded CRT and was shocked to find the old CRT to be a far better display! So after a couple of weeks I returned the Sammy to Best Buy and decided to upgrade to a better CRT. The first one was a Viewsonic p225f, then I upgraded to the Sony GDM FW900, which is what I have now. I got all my CRTs off craigslist.

Having CRTs is fun because they are so much cheaper to buy and the picture seems so superior. Of course this is all subjective, just my personal opinion.

The other thing is LCDs may have come a long way since I sold mine, like I say I haven't been looking after them. I know this, any LCD has a lot to live up to beating this awesome FW900 display
post #10 of 286 Old 12-21-2010, 11:29 PM

don't forget for gamers especially there is no delay like in LCD's, and the flexibility you have to change the resolution to your liking without distortion problems. The reason why many hardcore PC gamers especially still swear by CRT's. IMHO the only place they are beat are in weight and space requirments which actually have nothing to do with the display itself.
post #11 of 286 Old 12-22-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I record many films off HD stations (HBO, TCM-HD) etc. onto DVD-R (output from my DVR via S-video to a Panasonic recorder) and they look great played back up-converted to 1080i on the Sony CRT (between 8 - 8.5 compared to the original HD broadcast). However, they look awful when played at 1080p on my LCD in the den (harsh picture with choppy movement) which isn't the case with pre-recorded DVDs. On the LCD, the output has to be 480p (which is still good but still, not up-converted).

I've been told by a few that CRTs not being fixed pixel can handle this type of down-converted and up-converted playback whereas a flat screen can't. Is this true or does someone have any other ideasas to why?
post #12 of 286 Old 12-23-2010, 08:15 AM

I recently returned the best Plasma of the year, a Panasonic 50VT20 and went back to my Sony 30XS955. Details in the picture and depth to colors were the reason to stick with my love
post #13 of 286 Old 12-23-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1126 View Post

I recently returned the best Plasma of the year, a Panasonic 50VT20 and went back to my Sony 30XS955. Details in the picture and depth to colors were the reason to stick with my love

Now that is really saying something!
post #14 of 286 Old 12-24-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

CRT is still king.. Still gives the most film like reproduction. I have a Sony 42inch LCD & my father has a 61inch DLP 1080p.... I just bought the XBR910 for 80.00... It easily beats the other displays in many areas.. Minus the higher resolution of my fathers DLP.. Tube technology is tried & true & has been perfected.. You will never see another TV technology last as long as tube technology.. The best direct view HD CRTs embarrass most plasmas/LCD/LED in certain areas.. Motion.. Refresh rate come to mind.. & if you want to get a non CRT with CRT like black levels you better get out your wallet, especially if it's LCD. 6-8 grand.. I bought the hype.. I thought LCD & 720p was better then my 'obsolete' 26inch HD CRT.. Well.. It wasn't.. I think the Pioneer Kuros come the closest to bettering the best direct view ever made.. the 960 or the RCA 38inch behemoth..

On a side note, my father's Panny he bought in 1990 still works perfectly to this day.. His DLP broke in a yr.. CRT's are more reliable as well..

I will always have a CRT in my home until other technologies catch up...I will buy a 960 or the Panasonic the op mentioned in a heart beat over any display 34inches & under...

They are too heavy.. Boo hoo.. Cry me a frickin river..

great post KBI and others i agree
i too will always have a CRT in my home because SD just looks better on one. and i have lots of vhs and dvds. just like b&w looks better on a b&w only sets (yes i'm old lol) have a Philips HD 16:9 crt in the kitchen and it rocks. still watch my 18 years young Mit's 40'' crt almost daily
but after reading about HD for 20 years bought a mit's dlp 62'' 5 years ago and have been happy with it, even at the hi $$$$ spent at that time. watch mostly 98% sports. and will be going 3D very soon and it will be a mit's dlp too. and still watch for PQ, size and $$$ you can not beat it imho

Have had my Mitsubishi WD-62827 DLP near 7 years now,new Lamp and a mirror & lens cleaning last year and she's like new again. sweet and she has over 27,000 hours now

post #15 of 286 Old 12-25-2010, 10:43 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

CRT will just become that much cheaper when 3D becomes main stream.. 1080p is another reason CRT are so cheap along with the bulk.. I will stock up on the 30inch955/960.. I did see a display that bettered the 960, but it was a 46inch LCD/LED & was 8,000! Samsungs flagship model.. Never seen a picture so grand, maybe even bettering the Kuros.. But displays 34inch & under, nothing tops crt by a long shot.. Minus the 12inch SED display that Sony released for 2,000 in 08..

post #16 of 286 Old 12-25-2010, 11:17 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina94 View Post

I currently own a working-as-good-as-new Panasonic Tau CT-34WX54 that has been my main set since 2004. I've never had an issue with the TV and still marvel at the picture quality to this day in various applications.

OK, mine is not working quite as good as new, the HDMI input is not functional and composite 1 & 2 are dark, but I too marvel at the picture quality. I've only had it for a week after miraculously finding it for free on craigslist. I hope my face didn't reveal too much of my "you must be crazy" thinking when I went to pick it up. Finally I have a television that looks great in HD and SD! Netflix and Blu-ray are wonderful through the composite inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmadworld View Post

i too will always have a CRT in my home because SD just looks better on one. and i have lots of vhs and dvds.

Yes, but I suppose "always" will be limited to the life span of sets currently in existence.
post #17 of 286 Old 12-25-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CRT will just become that much cheaper when 3D becomes main stream.. 1080p is another reason CRT are so cheap along with the bulk.. I will stock up on the 30inch955/960.. I did see a display that bettered the 960, but it was a 46inch LCD/LED & was 8,000! Samsungs flagship model.. Never seen a picture so grand, maybe even bettering the Kuros.. But displays 34inch & under, nothing tops crt by a long shot.. Minus the 12inch SED display that Sony released for 2,000 in 08..

Most major companies have stopped producing CRTs for sale in the U.S. for some time now - the small 4x3 non-HD monitors are virtually all LCD and the CRTs that can be found are mostly older models. There is a big boom, however, in the sale of CRTs in developing third world nations where many now are able to afford their first television set, but those are not 1080i. But even at $8,000, I still wonder if LCD/LED technology can produce the natural picture depth of a CRT

Have read articles where CRT monitors are still being used professionally by many in the video industry.
post #18 of 286 Old 12-25-2010, 09:20 PM

I remember reading an article a few years ago about the BBC purchasing all the remaining stock of Sony's Professional line of CRT video monitors (PVM series I believe) upon hearing that Sony was ending production of CRTs entirely. Says a lot about how important CRTs are in professional broadcasting and the superiority of CRT in general. Still a shame they aren't made anymore, seems there would always be some demand in Pro circles and even a niche community with gamers and those of us who still prefer CRTs.
post #19 of 286 Old 12-26-2010, 11:19 PM

A variant of laser displays will be very very close to CRT, so don't worry its about coming back.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1216033
Quote:

Sony GDM FW900

I got one of those, can't wait for it to arrive. Nvidia 3d vision said to work very well with that.

DLP3d+ huge curved silverscreen for the extra brightness, and fully flat CRT 3d:

Looks like I will be set until phosphor+ laser displays arrive .
post #20 of 286 Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 AM

Liked: 14
So after two weeks with my "new" (to me) Panasonic Tau CT-34WX54, I find myself watching it more than my 50" Insignia plasma and 46" Sony LCD. I continue to marvel at the PQ using my Zenith DTT901 CECB using composite out. I keep reminding myself - this is 480i! It doesn't look like any 480i I have ever seen. I guess it speaks well to the quality of broadcast television as well. I get my face up close to the screen and still can't see any scan lines. I assume the progressive line-doubler in the set is responsible - man, what a picture! It rivals the plasma for color depth, and frankly makes the LCD look weak in that regard. I would lay money that most people would walk into the room and immediately assume they were looking at an HD picture. When watching a Blu-ray or Netflix in actual HD at 1080i, it looks even better.

I can tell my wife doesn't believe that I got this set for free, because she will look at the screen for a bit and ask "Did you really get this for free? How?" Fortunately our son helped me pick it up and can corroborate my story!

For me the unanswerable but intriguing question is "What would CRT sets look like today if development had continued?" It's too bad that we will never really know.
post #21 of 286 Old 12-29-2010, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLoaf View Post

For me the unanswerable but intriguing question is "What would CRT sets look like today if development had continued?" It's too bad that we will never really know.

The answer to that question is easy - other than possibly larger screens, CRT could get no better than it already is. It had been developing for more than half a century and flat screen technology, being that ('flat") will never be able to match it completely.
post #22 of 286 Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 PM

Had production of high quality HD CRTs continued we would likely have seen 1080p capable sets. This was technically possible even in the early 2000s but cost / complexity was always the issue. Only the GDM-FW900 and a few other CRT computer monitors are capable of 1080p + resolutions in a CRT design. I think CRT projectors could be made to display very high resolutions also. I do not believe we maxed out the capabilities of CRT displays, especially when the focus was always on cost cutting rather than improving resolution or allowing for multi-scan capabilities in a consumer level unit. Think how cool it would be to have a HD CRT that could display 480p, 720p, and 1080p all progressively (not converting 720p to 1080i like current units do).
post #23 of 286 Old 12-30-2010, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffo View Post

Had production of high quality HD CRTs continued we would likely have seen 1080p capable sets. This was technically possible even in the early 2000s but cost / complexity was always the issue. Only the GDM-FW900 and a few other CRT computer monitors are capable of 1080p + resolutions in a CRT design. I think CRT projectors could be made to display very high resolutions also. I do not believe we maxed out the capabilities of CRT displays, especially when the focus was always on cost cutting rather than improving resolution or allowing for multi-scan capabilities in a consumer level unit. Think how cool it would be to have a HD CRT that could display 480p, 720p, and 1080p all progressively (not converting 720p to 1080i like current units do).

No doubt CRT would have handled 1080p but by the time time that resolution became standard fare, the HD CRT was about out of production. The biggest commercial HD CRT screen size I recall was an early 2000 model by Thompson (RCA) which was 37 inches with a less than completely flat screen. Wonder if keeping the screen flat was what prevented Sony and others from going beyond 34 inches?
post #24 of 286 Old 12-30-2010, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

....Wonder if keeping the screen flat was what prevented Sony and others from going beyond 34 inches?

A flat screen is more difficult to scan than a convex one because the phosphors become an increasing distance from the electron guns as the scan approaches the sides of the tube. The result is difficult to manage geometry and convergence errors.

However, I don't believe this was the primary reason for the lack of larger tubes, actually it was likely a combination of things like weight, size, profits, etc.

Larger tubes would have resulted in sets becoming even HEAVIER than the 40XBR800, which weighed in at a whopping 300 lbs. Heavier tubes meant beefier chassis to protect and stabilize them which added even more weight.

Consumers were demanding larger and larger screens and crt technology could not fill that demand in a practical way. Besides, other, higher profit, technologies were catching up to meet that demand.

Your everyday consumer jumped on the lcd bandwagon and most don't know what they are missing. Gone were the weight, size, convergence and geometry issues of crts. Gone also were the deep blacks, ultra-high contrast ratios, and superior picture quality of the mature technology that is crt.

I better stop now, I'm beginning to tear up.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #25 of 286 Old 12-31-2010, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
LCD televisions are so unpleasant to watch that I find myself unable to forget about how unpleasant watching one is when watching one.
post #26 of 286 Old 12-31-2010, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Yes.

Of course.
post #27 of 286 Old 12-31-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

And many don't realize that the larger the screen, the lesser the picture quality. At the University I work at, we have a 55 inch LG set up in our office's conference room. While there are larger screens, will not deny that I was initially floored by the size of the set. But that was the extent of it.

I immediately noticed that the larger screen had a softer picture at 1080p resolution (after experimenting with the user adjustments) even compared to my 32 inch LCD at home which, BTW, is only 720p. Am I correct to assume that there is a law of physics involved and the screen becoming larger therefore results in lesser density between pixels and/or increased pixel size and therefore past a certain screen size, the picture begins to actually lose the some of that higher resolution (i.e., like a zoom effect)?

That is a problem with too big a screen which many don't realize exits.

And compared to CRT, there is no depth in the picture at all, no matter what the size or the technology. For example, after I adjusted the settings we caught a few minutes of "Ellen". The picture was exactly as advertised - FLAT! All objects appeared on top of each other with no dimensional feel whatsoever. I'm at home this week and when I tuned in the same program on my Sony KD34XBR960 that wasn't the case - while not three dimensional, there was an appearance of depth which made the picture more natural.

And, of course, the picture is not natural looking on LCDs in general than they are on CRT. It's more like a pastel-type postcard. In addition, although the picture in super sharp, all the LCD's I've seen lack the precise detail that our Sony displays - one can see some facial hairs or blemishes on the Sony which appear smooth on those LCDs.

I would not knock LCD or any other flat screen set - they do offer gorgeous pictures in their own rights - it's just that I resented in it's sales hype, the industry, began touting CRT as old and inferior when flat screens began to become affordable. Of course, most only having experienced standard definition on a 4x3 set, did not know any better.

The industry is misleading the public again today, trying to get consumers to replace the flat screen sets they purchased just a few years ago by touting the "advantages" of LED lighting, higher refresh rates, contrast ratios, etc. Those "improvements" have little if any effect on picture quality since the visual comparisons are exaggerated for demonstration purposes and what can be measured on laboratory equipment cannot be seen by the human eye.

Though it's screen size is limited, CRT might be older but it is still definitely the superior technology. Again, not knocking flat screens, but do feel the need to make that point on behalf of us who get strange looks from people wondering how we could ever be happy watching those bulky, heavier sets.
post #28 of 286 Old 12-31-2010, 11:56 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLoaf View Post

So after two weeks with my "new" (to me) Panasonic Tau CT-34WX54, I find myself watching it more than my 50" Insignia plasma and 46" Sony LCD. I continue to marvel at the PQ using my Zenith DTT901 CECB using composite out. I keep reminding myself - this is 480i! It doesn't look like any 480i I have ever seen. I guess it speaks well to the quality of broadcast television as well. I get my face up close to the screen and still can't see any scan lines. I assume the progressive line-doubler in the set is responsible - man, what a picture! It rivals the plasma for color depth, and frankly makes the LCD look weak in that regard. I would lay money that most people would walk into the room and immediately assume they were looking at an HD picture. When watching a Blu-ray or Netflix in actual HD at 1080i, it looks even better.

I can tell my wife doesn't believe that I got this set for free, because she will look at the screen for a bit and ask "Did you really get this for free? How?" Fortunately our son helped me pick it up and can corroborate my story!

Yeah.. My 910 kicks my dads 61inch DLP's ass.. My Samsung HD CRT, & my 42inch LCD.. CRT is still the most advanced technology out today.. It's been around since the 30's & has been perfected.. Other technologies are still in their infancy..

Blame the consumer for letting the CRT die.. They demanded a TV that was light, bigger picture, slim, & not bulky.. PQ was secondary.. So companies listened.. For a LED/Plasma to get close to a high end CRT contrast/blacks will cost you at least 5,000-12,000.. Yet a used 960 goes for around 300.00.

Also the fud spread that CRTs are obsolete.. Newer technology is better.. Reminds me of CD Vs Vinyl.. Is CD really superior to vinyl in terms of SQ? IMO no.. & Vinyl is making a come back.. & 1080p is so insignificant, companies have to market it as something better then it is.."Full HD"? Give me a break.. 1080i/p is the same resolution much like 480i/p..Just one happens to be interlaced.. My 910 delivers detail my fathers 1080p 61inch DLP can only imagine of displaying.

Still, CRT is king, no matter what companies want you to believe..

post #29 of 286 Old 12-31-2010, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah.. My 910 kicks my dads 61inch DLP's ass.. My Samsung HD CRT, & my 42inch LCD.. CRT is still the most advanced technology out today.. It's been around since the 30's & has been perfected.. Other technologies are still in their infancy..

Blame the consumer for letting the CRT die.. They demanded a TV that was light, bigger picture, slim, & not bulky.. PQ was secondary.. So companies listened.. For a LED/Plasma to get close to a high end CRT contrast/blacks will cost you at least 5,000-12,000.. Yet a used 960 goes for around 300.00.

Also the fud spread that CRTs are obsolete.. Newer technology is better.. Reminds me of CD Vs Vinyl.. Is CD really superior to vinyl in terms of SQ? IMO no.. & Vinyl is making a come back.. & 1080p is so insignificant, companies have to market it as something better then it is.."Full HD"? Give me a break.. 1080i/p is the same resolution much like 480i/p..Just one happens to be interlaced.. My 910 delivers detail my fathers 1080p 61inch DLP can only imagine of displaying.

Still, CRT is king, no matter what companies want you to believe..

I still don't blame the consumer as I do the industry which mislead the public into thinking CRT was obsolete compared to the "advanced" and until recently more expensive, flat screen technology When I got my Sony in 2005 not many read reviews by CNET, etc. which proclaimed many CRTs as top performers and reference grade. In addition, Crutchfield advertised Plasma as being the closest equivalent to CRT. Even so, with the bombardment of flat screen hype and spin that continued, I still questioned whether, in the long run, my decision to get a HD CRT was a wise one since the accepted equation was that the best HD equaled plasma, LCD, etc. Now, I wouldn't sacrifice what I have just for the thrill of having a larger screen - the trade off is not worth it.
post #30 of 286 Old 12-31-2010, 06:51 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

I still don't blame the consumer as I do the industry which mislead the public into thinking CRT was obsolete compared to the "advanced" and until recently more expensive, flat screen technology When I got my Sony in 2005 not many read reviews by CNET, etc. which proclaimed many CRTs as top performers and reference grade. In addition, Crutchfield advertised Plasma as being the closest equivalent to CRT. Even so, with the bombardment of flat screen hype and spin that continued, I still questioned whether, in the long run, my decision to get a HD CRT was a wise one since the accepted equation was that the best HD equaled plasma, LCD, etc. Now, I wouldn't sacrifice what I have just for the thrill of having a larger screen - the trade off is not worth it.

I bought into the hype.. I bought a 42inch LCD as a upgrade, but in the long run it turned out to be a down grade.. & I believed 720p was superior to 1080i cause it had a p after it.. Companies always want you to buy more expensive TV's so they tear down older technology.. I still think the consumer has some blame.. Many prefer convience & space over PQ..

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page