Looking to buy an CRT HDTV (will be my first HDTV) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Back to the original thread...sorry if I'm a little late to jump in here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi183 View Post

Hey, I'm wanting to buy a CRT HDTV and I'd like to know what the top 5 models are with these specifics: Has 720P support ( I don't think any of them has 1080P), has HDMI support (For PS3 and HTPC connection) Flat screen, 16:9 or 4:3, 30" to 36". Has no overscanning / cropping (shows the full picture as it is)

I plan to search craigslist / ebay hoping to find one with the model numbers, I already search XBR and XSS series none in my area so I'm looking for other good ones too

If you happen to find a Sony KD-34XBR960, go for it. It would be worth waiting a little longer for a KD-34XBR (34") and as others have mentioned 30" might be a bit small at 10' away.

Also as mentioned, any CRT is going to overscan some.

If you choose to go with a Sony Trinitron (which I do recommend), note that the ones with model numbers beginning in KV have no built-in ATSC digital tuner, while ones with model numbers beginning with KD do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi183 View Post

I have a 19" 4:3 CRT currently, I realllly want something bigger, I plan to buy some blu rays once I buy a PS3 or try to play 720p content from my computer onto it.

I have a mixed DVD collection with 4:3 content and 16:9 content
I don't know if I should get a 4:3 or a 16:9 argh

quick questions:
Do CRTs need to be calibrated? Or are they pretty accurate with colors.
Will all HD CRTs make SD DVD content look good?
Will CRTs show the full DVD picture or does some get lost at the edges of the screens?

Oh and I'm hoping to be able to get one of these CRTs for around 100$, cause I'm really tight on money one of the reasons I haven't bought an HDTV yet, do you think it's possible?

Thanks

CRTs have the best color fidelity, assuming they have not been messed with or have any type of burn-in issues. The upscaling on CRT HDTVs tends to be better than that on fixed-pixel/flat-panel HDTVs in my experience. Note that most can display 480p content directly, so you really are best off using a progressive-scan DVD player (using component video connection of course).

$100 might even be too much, depending on your area. I recently acquired a Panasonic Tau 4:3 36" HD-ready TV for $50 and am impressed with its overall picture quality. Granted, it has no HDMI inputs or 720p support...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 02-12-2011, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My recommendation is the KD34XBR960 - we've had ours since August, 2005 and it still provides the best HD picture we've seen so far.

It would be worth getting the set calibrated, even if just based on consensus appearing in the Sony Service Codes forum. So many of my factory settings were way off from those specified by Sony in the service manual. I did find that many of the recommendations in the AVS Forum did improve picture quality over the Sony recommended ones and I fortunately had HD test patterns stored on my DVR from the old INHD which were of great help since all sets have unique variations that require different settings.

Even though at first I did not realize it, I found that over-scan adjustment done by the factory was quite bad, causing information to be cut off from all sides which in turn also caused the picture to be zoomed and losing resolution. Was able to get it correct by using both an over-scan and cross-hatch pattern (when the over-scan is corrected it affects the geometry which then needs to be re-adjusted as well). No problem with either one, now.

Again, the 960 is the way to go and if the cost of professional calibration is too much, going into the service menu and making sure the adjustments at least match those recommended by others who have done their own calibration is not a bad alternative.
post #33 of 38 Old 02-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

Again, the 960 is the way to go and if the cost of professional calibration is too much, going into the service menu and making sure the adjustments at least match those recommended by others who have done their own calibration is not a bad alternative.

Can you point me to where I would find good calibration settings for the 960 both in and out of the service menu? I want to experiment copy and pasting before I decide on professional calibration.
post #34 of 38 Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 AM

Search for the Sony service codes thread on this forum. It's a wealth of info, and was a huge help for me.
post #35 of 38 Old 03-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

That's the problem. I'm overwhelmed. It would be nice to have someone's calibrated settings (regular menu) to just copy to see how it looks without getting too technical. Geometry looks fine on my set.
post #36 of 38 Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 PM

To get the most out of your tv, you really owe it to yourself to dig through that thread. It is a bit overwhelming, but not too bad if you start at the beginning.

As the pro calibrators will tell you, The correct calibration settings for one unit may be very different than the optimum settings of another example of the same model. Especially with older CRT sets which age differently depending on use and abuse.

That being said, here are the settings that look great on mine. They are for the component input, which is the only one I use:

Picture mode: Movie
Picture 35
Brightness 35
Color 31
Hue 0
Sharpness 31
Color temp Warm
Clear edge vm Low
"Default" setting on advanced video(not monitor)

Obviously, any real type of calibration would occur in the service menu and these are just the basic OSD settings. I wouldn't recommend getting into the service menu just yet. Fiddle with these settings first and maybe you'll be able to get it looking good without too much effort.

Good luck and remember that you can store different settings for each picture mode on each input. Get a calibration DVD and play around-just take a snapshot of the original settings so you can go back if need be.
post #37 of 38 Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Salty- Funny enough I'm using those exact settings without adjust anything. The only thing difference is "Default" is set to monitor and not video.

I always assumed to use "monitor". At least, that's what I read in the main thread. Why do you go with advanced video?
post #38 of 38 Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 AM

I find that if I use the monitor setting, things have a slight greenish tint and look a little off, color-wise. The default setting is better for me, even though the reds jump out a bit too much.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page