Sony 40XBR70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-05-2002, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a Sony 40XBR700. I tried it with both Dish and Direct
TV using the S-video cable. I was planning on picking up a Dish 6000 with the optional OTA module at some point.

My problem is poor picture quality. Do I need to adjust the settings on the Sony? Do I have a defective TV? Or is the picture quality just that bad on
Dish Network?

I do have several days where I am able to exchange the Sony for another
model. Suggestions?

Any and all responses are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-05-2002, 09:11 PM

Before you make a final decision, you should calibrate your picture with one of the DVD calibration discs (AVIA seems to be a popular choice). Once you have all your settings fixed up in terms of color, contrast, sharpness, etc. then you will be able to make a good decision. It's very rare (unheard of?) for a television to look good with the stock settings. It would be a shame to give up on the biggest 4:3 direct view extant. :)

-Aaron
post #3 of 14 Old 04-05-2002, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Aaron for your response. I will try and find some calibration discs.

Bob
post #4 of 14 Old 04-06-2002, 09:48 AM

Ouch!

Sorry to hear about the poor picture quality. After spending time looking at plasma displays and reading the threads here, I've about decided that I need to stay with a CRT for a while (don't like the plasma tradeoff of distorted pictures vs burn-ins).

I have the impression that the Sony is as good as it gets for 40 inch CRT displays. Actually, I think its the only 40 inch since Mitsubishi quit making theirs.

What sort of quality problems are you seeing? Sharpness? Geometric distortion? Color fidelity? .... ????

I've not seen a manual for the Sony. Does it include extensive set-up instructions? I had to buy the service manual for my Mitsubishi 40 to find information about adjusting geometry, etc.

I'm also about to spring for the Dish 6000 & OTA module. Found one at a dealer yesterday and confirmed that the fan noise would be an issue. But, again, its about the only game in town if I want to stay with the Dish Network.

Gary A.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-06-2002, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 562
My bet is that Bob is seeing the DRC's insanely bad processing effect on over-compressed MPEG.

If I'm correct, there is no fix from calibration that will help one bit.

Mark

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #6 of 14 Old 04-06-2002, 04:44 PM

i always felt the xbr700 had a less spectacular picture than one would expect. ive used it for cable, and with progressive dvd, and i was not really impressed. to be honest, i felt the 36xbr450 gave a better picture on the same sources doing an a/b. im sure there are plenty of happy 40" sony customers that are very happy, but i would go a different route for quality and price point.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-06-2002, 04:47 PM

Good point. It may be valuable to compare channels themselves to see if the overcompression is a problem. Comparing 300 (HBO-East) and 204 (CourtTV) on Dish would show the differences between "good" compression and "bad" compression (accepting for the moment that there IS good compression :)).

-Aaron
post #8 of 14 Old 04-09-2002, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I have seen this set displaying HDTV and it looked VERY good. I have a 35 SD Sony and the picture quality on most DTV stations is not good. THe better the TV the more you see the effects.

On a 27" set DTV looks near perfect so if you are coming from a smaller set you might just be seeing for the first time how crappy 480i looks at its best.

Before you give up beg borrow or steal an HDTV receiver or a progressive scan DVD player. You might see a big difference. This TV definitely has potential.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-09-2002, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wyattbob
I recently purchased a Sony 40XBR700. I tried it with both Dish and Direct
TV using the S-video cable.
Try using composite cable from your DBS. I know that s-video is supposed to be the best option here but it also "bypasses" the comb filter of your TV.

See if the picture improves with this b4 you return it.

Good luck

Kevin

I was going to write something here about procrastination, but maybe I'll wait til tomorrow.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-10-2002, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know how this TV handles a 720p signal? Does it upconvert it to 1080i? And has anyone seen this (how does it look?). I might be in the market for a direct view TV in a couple months due to my new house potentially not being able to use a Front Projector in the viewing area. I guess I'm ok with that, but I'd much rather spend the 3-4k on a projector.

I was also looking at RPTV's but, it just doesn't seem worth the hassle of potential burn-in issues, grey bars, white bars, etc. etc.

Thanks for your help!

-sonic
post #11 of 14 Old 04-10-2002, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wyattbob
My problem is poor picture quality. Do I need to adjust the settings on the Sony? Do I have a defective TV? Or is the picture quality just that bad on Dish Network?

Any and all responses are appreciated!
Wyattbob-

I have a 36XBR450, and I too was originally disappointed in the picture quality using DirecTV because of the horrible compression artifacts. After looking around the net and performing a few tweaks that I've found, I'm MUCH happier. I don't notice the artifacts at all anymore. In fact, I'm quite pleased.

In order of importance (to me), here are the steps to improve picture quality for DirecTV:

1) Switch from the default "vivid" mode to "movie" or "pro." This makes a tremendous difference. So much so that this step is pretty much a "well, duh" settings change.

2) Use either "progressive" or "cinemtion" drc settings depending on the program material you're watching. Progressive for video-based sources and cinemotion for film.

3) Turn off Velocity Modulation (VM) in the main menu.

4) Use a calibration disc like Avia. Besides the obvious brightness / contrast changes that you'll make, the single most important setting that will improve the DirecTV picture is Sharpness. I've got mine almost all the way down.

5) Look around here and elsewhere on the net to find the most common tweaks for Sony direct-view sets using the service menu. AXIS=1 is a big one. There are quite a few others that help to varying degrees. I prefer my picture a little brighter with a little more contrast than I'm sure most people around here would recommend, so I won't tell you all of my settings. But the info is readily available, and it is very easy to adjust.

That's about it. Yes, I know there are differences between my 36XBR450 and your 40XBR700, but there are more similarities than differences. Plus, the above steps are pretty much universal.

Anyway, good luck.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-12-2002, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by ZManCartFan

Use either "progressive" or "cinemtion" drc settings depending on the program material you're watching. Progressive for video-based sources and cinemotion for film.
So, the Sony does not automatically select between "progressive" and "cinemotion" based on source material?

I am confused, because the Sony ES DVD player will automatically do 3:2 pulldown from film-based DVD material, but it will detect film sources automatically. Can't the Sony XBR tell the difference? Or is there more to "progressive" vs "cinemotion" than simply doing the 3:2 pulldown???
post #13 of 14 Old 04-12-2002, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bsd107

So, the Sony does not automatically select between "progressive" and "cinemotion" based on source material?

I am confused, because the Sony ES DVD player will automatically do 3:2 pulldown from film-based DVD material, but it will detect film sources automatically. Can't the Sony XBR tell the difference? Or is there more to "progressive" vs "cinemotion" than simply doing the 3:2 pulldown???
I am certainly not an expert here, and I'm not entirely sure as to the differences betweent he XBR450 and the XBR700. But, on my 450 the set certainly will automatically detect a progressive signal. When it senses a progressive signal, the internal DRC circuitry is shut down.

I was talking about watching regular DirecTV or Dish Network and how to combat the compression artifacts. Since the DSS services do not offer a progressive signal (except on certain boxes), you have to manually change between progressive and cinemotion on the internal XBR drc circuitry based on the source material.

Or are you asking if the cinemotion setting is suposed to automatically recognize film-based sources and do the 3:2 pulldown? If that's the question, then I believe the answer is yes -- sort of. I find that I need to manually switch between progressive and cinemtion because with the cinemotion setting I get really bad "window blinds" transition artifacts on video-based sources. It's just easier to switch myself.

What's even funnier (in that hmmm kind of way) is that I pulled out an old Super Nintendo last weekend and plugged it into the XBR. Besides showing the fact that the Super Nintendo was designed for TV's with a little more overscan (there are black bars on the sides of the picture), I have to set the TV to interlace mode to avoid some really nasty artifacts. If I try to use progressive, things like shadows and highlights just flash and jitter to the point that they make the screen unwatchable.

But a quick switch to interlaced makes it all better!
post #14 of 14 Old 04-22-2002, 12:22 PM

Hi,

In the SGTH review of the 40XBR700, the corner foucs was mentioned as a problem. To improve corner focus, the set would have to be deeper so that the angle from the centre to the corners would be more narrow. I guess Sony wasn't willing or it didn't think that customers were willing to buy a deeper, heavier TV. The 40XBR700 already weighs 280 lbs.

Anyone here able to test the black level of the 40XBR700 on the left side versus the right side? How much red push is there? I really hate to desaturate to tame the problem.

Thanks
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page