newbie w/ a 960 question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-25-2011, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picked up a 34xbr960n on craigslist for $130, my first HDTV. I decided to get one after running across this website. I like the picture a lot, not sure if a professional calibration is worth it though. So I have been messing around in the service menu (foolishly) and managed to mess with the settings. Right now twin view and freeze and a few other features don't work at all and they did before I started "fixing" things. I did a 7-9-muting-enter reset when I didn't know what that did. Nothing worked very well. Did the 8-muting-enter reset and got it to work better. I did write most of my settings down and have got the pic working pretty good for the few inputs I use (vid 1,5,6 and 7; tv all gets watched through a DVR) I was wondering if someone would help me with the QM and QT menu settings, as I didn't write those down. I attached a file with my current settings. If some one would direct me to a table or tell me what their tv is currently set to it would help me out I hope. I haven't found much info on the net about these menus. Thanks in advance.

Justin

QM and QT settings.txt 0.1796875k . file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 PM

Did you buy that in Des Moines? If so, I nearly bought it but they wanted too much for it. By Easter Lake? Plus, I've already got a 34HS420 and a matching stand which I got both for $100 last spring so I didn't think I needed another one.

Back to your question, I hate to tell you this but unless you wrote EVERYTHING down you have thoroughly messed up your set. I've been told that these sets get individually calibrated at the end of the production line by a tech. Once you start messing with them, they're never the same. As far as general oem settings, there is a page somewhere on this site that has each setting for your set. I used it on mine to fix some horizontal geometry problems. Get in and get out (the SM) or you will screw it up royally. Overscan and horizontal problems are easily fixed in the SM, but once you start messing around with other things, you have probably went too far.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I bought it in Des Moines. Not sure where Easter Lake is, so can't say for sure. I probably paid more than some people but I figured it cured the bug to go HD for way less than buying a new LCD or Plasma or DLP.

I know the set will never be perfect without outside help, and if need be I'll have to cut my losses and try to find another. That being said I do have it working quite well considering, I did have all the other settings written down. A step up from my kv-36fs17. Been reading the sony codes thread, it is a lot to digest. The only picture problem I haven't quite perfected is a bowing toward the center on the right side of the screen that was there when I got it. If I get that fixed I'll be perfectly happy with what the TV is. I just was looking for some ideas for messing around with those QM and QT menus as I haven't found much info on them and they are the ones that are out of whack.

Thanks
post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-2011, 12:06 AM

how do you know what you're trying to fix is messed up?
also, if it's vertical geometrical issues you are trying to fix, forget it- you can't do it in the SM. there is no adjustment for vertical. the only way you can fix vertical geometry problems is by having a very qualified Sony tech take your set apart and strategically place magnets inside the cabinet. this is what I was told by the experts on this site as mine isn't straight either on the left either. the geometry on these huge Sony sets is awful and let's just be glad we didn't pay close to $2000 for these sets when new. however, I still believe that CRT HD tube sets like ours still have no competition as far as picture quality goes. normal watching of television hides the vertical issues anyways. I'll try and get that page I used for the values. go here and look under the 34XBR service data.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=531494
post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbunder View Post

how do you know what you're trying to fix is messed up?
also, if it's vertical geometrical issues you are trying to fix, forget it- you can't do it in the SM. there is no adjustment for vertical. the only way you can fix vertical geometry problems is by having a very qualified Sony tech take your set apart and strategically place magnets inside the cabinet. this is what I was told by the experts on this site as mine isn't straight either on the left either. the geometry on these huge Sony sets is awful and let's just be glad we didn't pay close to $2000 for these sets when new. however, I still believe that CRT HD tube sets like ours still have no competition as far as picture quality goes. normal watching of television hides the vertical issues anyways. I'll try and get that page I used for the values. go here and look under the 34XBR service data.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=531494

I paid 200 for the TV & matching stand.. I fixed the discoloring in the SM, & left.. 99% of what is in the SM is a foreign language to me.. I'm sure a very qualified ISF tech can help.. I hear calibration on the 960 is like magic & really takes them to another level.. This coming from owners & techs themselves. I would only fix minor things in the SM myself..Over scan..Landing..etc.. But save the tough stuff to a pro or get a link to a page that has the settings to improve your tv..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #6 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

I have a pdf version of the service manual from the sony codes thread and have used a lot of the settings that KenTech used as a starting point. Been essential in getting the tv "back". In the process became familiar w/ navigating the service menu. The charts talk about all the menus except for the QM and QT. I was just wondering what those setting were in a calibrated-functioning tv as I am not confident mine are where they were/should be and perhaps a little insight as to what they do.

I would love to get a calibration, just not sure I can convince the Mrs or myself to spend the money.

And you are right tbunder in being glad we didn't pay $2000 for a set that isn't straight. I am still cringing at the $1300 I payed for the 36-fs17 ten years ago and it is still working perfectly. I had decided to get a 36xs955 but became impatient. Do those models have the same vertical geometry problems as the wide screen 960? If they do not and I found one close for the right price . . .
post #7 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 PM

I've never owned a 4:3 Sony big screen that I kept. I had two KV36-HS510 sets from bestbuy in '03. Returned both of them because of screen issues, that's when I decided to upgrade to the big screen route and ended up getting Toshiba 51H83 rptv. Loved it, but really wanted the Pioneer I still have. Sold the Toshiba to my sister, went to Wal-Mart who were the only ones to sell the iconic Pioneer SD-533HD5 and bought it. Use it to this day and wouldn't trade it for anything other than maybe another Pioneer, but those are pushing $6K.
The issues with the screen on the two Sony's I mention were one had tiny specs in the glass that were visible when the set was off. I paid $1600 for this set and I wanted it perfect. Tech examined and I got an exchange for another one. When I got the second one, I noticed the reflection of my window was curved in the glass when the set was off. I dumped that one too and got the Tosh.
The general chatter around here is that a large majority of big Sony tube tvs have problems in these areas of vertical and horizontal. If you can get past it and accept the sets for what they are, which imo is beautiful pieces of electronic gadgetry that in turn also produce still the benchmark for picture quality, then you will be fine. If you're expecting perfectly straight vertical and horizontal, these HDTV tube sets aren't for you.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-01-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I can't complain that something I bought used 7 years old isn't perfect. You really don't notice the curve much watching tv, even watching football w/ all those straight lines across the field. I notice it in the guide menu in my DVR that I use all the time. I'll end up just leaving well enough alone.

Still anyone have any insight on these QM and QT menus?
post #9 of 10 Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowajustin View Post

Well, I can't complain that something I bought used 7 years old isn't perfect. You really don't notice the curve much watching tv, even watching football w/ all those straight lines across the field. I notice it in the guide menu in my DVR that I use all the time. I'll end up just leaving well enough alone.

Still anyone have any insight on these QM and QT menus?

if your set is a 34XBR960N, it should have a manufacture date of late 2005 or so, making it only 5 years old. The one I looked at over here by where I live by Easter Lake was this model number, and it was made in December 2005. The "N", by the way, stands for no reflective coating on the screen. Evidently, there were some 34XBR960's that had this coating start to flake off or some other problems with this anti-reflective on the screen. Your set should be a smidge brighter than the ones with the coating.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-03-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Stuck my head behind the tv, made in November of 05. Is the "N" model as well.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page