my widescreen movies are slanted - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-06-2002, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 3 yr old sony trinitron tv with svideo input, and evertime I watch a dvd or a widescreen vhs tape (star wars), the black bars on the top and bottom are slanted to the left. It is noticeable, not too noticable, but enough to annoy me- how can I correct this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-06-2002, 05:47 PM

many tvs today have a tilt control that can be adjusted in the basic menu. i remember the first time i say a tilted picture after setting up a new hdtv, i was like !$!#$#%$!#. then i calmed down and saw there was a nice tilt control to fix my problem. see if you have one, or maybe u can access it in a service menu, but i cant help u there...gl
post #3 of 7 Old 04-07-2002, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 490
If there's no tilt control, then it means that the CRT's deflection yoke is misalighed. The only fix is to replace the tube. Sorry.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #4 of 7 Old 04-07-2002, 06:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Selden,

Don't be in such a hurry to replace the guy's tube. Some tilt controls are on the back of the ACTUAL tube.

Call a good technician (you shouldn't be messing with it yourself, the adjustments are quite near the high-voltage part of the vaccum tube) and he'll tell you if there's a tilt control there.

Does this only occur when your TV is in 16:9 mode (i.e., are the movies anamorphic and you have to switch to this mode to see the letterbox bars)? If so, Selden might be correct - since some tubes behave quite badly when you compress them down to 16:9 mode.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #5 of 7 Old 04-07-2002, 11:52 AM

I underline oferlaor's statement!

I have a Sony KV-28FD1E and had the same problem. The picture slanted down to the left side. This was manageable in the setup menu.

But, I was faced with another problem! The picture was not centered correctly and that differently for each picture mode (4:3, 16:9, etc.). I was lucky enough to have the technical plans with all the setting codes. See there, you have a hidden menu that allows you to adjust deflection control. On my set I can enter that menu by pressing "PROG +" and "PROG -" at the same time while the tv is in standby.

CAUTION: If you don't know what your doing you can mess things up badly.

I suggest you call a good technician as oferlaor stated.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-07-2002, 12:21 PM

Warning – Even if you unplug your TV there may (usually will) be a charged Cap (25KV and a lot of amps). If you let it, it will leave a mark!

If you’re feeling luck today, or; if today is a good day to die, read on. Else, call your TV service shop.

You stand a good chance of fixing this yourself. If there is not electronic adjustment you can try to fix it by adjusting it mechanically. This is true for a number of TV’s and might be true for yours. On the back of the tube there is a collar which may be rotated. The purpose of this collar is to aim the electron gun. It has several turns of copper witch create a magnetic field. Often there will be a screw or two holding the collar tight on the tube. Just loosen it and rotate it. A very small turn is all that is needed. A couple of degrees usually will do the trick.

Post Elven Ent
post #7 of 7 Old 04-11-2002, 05:51 PM
hob

I only had to use my F-38310 tilt only once, when I joined AVS forum, you guys were out of tilt in July of 2001.lol:)
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page