Gaming CRT Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-27-2011, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
al4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am wanting to hook some of my retro video gaming systems and relive my youth.

Older consoles, like the Super NES, Nintendo 64 and Sega Dreamcast don't look great on my 50" Panasonic TH-50PZ85U. I can go to 4:3 mode, but I'm 8ft away already, and when I make it smaller that doesn't help.

I'd like to find a CRT TV (obviously used, as the new market is probably next to 0) that I can play these older game consoles on. Between 27" and 36" OK.

Requirements: - 4:3 CRT SD TV, 1 Component (2 is nice) supporting 480p, 2 (ideally 3) S-Video, a VGA or HDMI. Of course I'm sure it'll come with a few composite.

I've looked at various SONY models - but I'm open to whatever might be out there.

Can anyone suggest a few models that might be in decent availability via my local Craigslist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Liked: 12
You'd be hard pressed to find any SD CRTs that support 480p as every SD set I've ever seen only does 480i. I know there were a few EDTVs but I've never seen one in CRT form and if they existed they were very high end and thus rare. Also you don't find any SD sets with VGA or HDMI either. Part of the reason we never saw 480p SD CRTs is because it was then easy to make them do 1080i and sell them as HD sets rather than just sell an SD set with 480p support. I know of one person on the forum who said they had some IDTV (EDTV) CRT but that's the only person I've ever heard of owning one.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-29-2011, 10:51 AM

Liked: 11
What he said^^^. widescreen 480p sets are nothing you are going see, even on eBay/craigslist. The only thing I can think of that would do native widescreen 480p is the Sony FW900-best CRT ever made,but very rare. I use a 22" CRT monitor connected with VGA to the Wii. Virtual console titles look super nice on 480p(and 0 input lag to boot!
post #4 of 14 Old 01-29-2011, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
al4

I'm certainly OK to using an HD CRT if needed. I was just trying to avoid features I wasn't going to use (highest I'll play is the Wii). But if it's an HD CRT - no problems. Widescreen I'd like to avoid simply cause I have no games to play in widescreen but if I have to get a 36" widescreen and run games in 4:3 - that's fine.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I had a modernish Panasonic Tau CRT a few years ago. It was 27" and supported 1080i, 480p, and 480i. It was 4:3 ratio and when 1080i was engaged, it had borders on the top and bottom.

Model was CT-27HL14, I think... It looked really good for SD gaming!

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #6 of 14 Old 01-31-2011, 12:36 PM

Liked: 12
It's true that for older systems like NES, SNES etc that a 480i CRT set is best as the games were displayed in 240p. I myself game on a 30" 16:9 Toshiba HD CRT and while it doesn't look as good as an SD set would for older games it looks way better than how any LCD would handle it. It's a compromise but I find it easier than having 2 sets one SD and one HD in the same room. Granted I do have my sisters Panasonic 32" SD CRT sitting unused in the basement and in the future I may hook all my older systems up to it, but right now I just don't have the space. So overall I'd say an HD CRT is an ok compromise but if you are super hardcore for old school games stick with an SD set 480i is just fine especially for 240p games.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-01-2011, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter
al4

The only reason I wanted a non-HDTV is simply for the quality and the fact I'll be up close.

I want the 480p for the Wii only. The other system's done have it. I have a 20" Toshiba that supports 480p over component. If I get one of the SONY Wega HD CRT's - I should be able to run the Wii in 480p and the other stuff in 480i right?

I found a SONY KV-36HS420 for $250 on Craigslist and a KV34HS420 for $200. What would be more "appropriate" prices? I might be able to get the people down in price.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-01-2011, 12:56 PM

^ you might want to look up the aspect ratios with those two sets. I'm pretty sure the 36 is 4:3 and the 34 is 16:9.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-02-2011, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
al4

I thought they were the same series so they wouldn't change the aspect ratio between model's.

I might have to go for the 36" - maybe this weekend if it's still up. This should run the all but the Wii in 480i and the Wii in 480p.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-07-2011, 10:05 AM

Didn't Samsung make a true 480p CRT TV a few years back? Or am I mistaken?

Anyway, as others have said, you'll be hard-pressed to find a 480p CRT TV; 1080i only requires a little higher scan frequency and bandwidth than 480p anyways. Many (most?) CRT HDTVs can multiscan at both 480p and 1080i, including my Panasonic Tau. I personally find standard-definition content on it to appear better upscaled to 1080i rather than line-doubled to 480p; then again I do sit several feet back.

Also, RGBHV (VGA) inputs on direct-view CRT TVs are rare. Ubiquitous on CRT front-projectors, but rare on CRT TVs. But Wii doesn't have VGA support anyway, does it?

As far as those two Sony models you mentioned, yes they are good models, but I wouldn't pay more than about $80 for either one unless they were in exceptionally good condition and working order.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-15-2011, 03:33 PM

You would want to avoid any "high scan" or HD sets. The signal processing will introduce significant input lag.

Assuming you are really sticking with the systems you mention (N64, SNES, Dreamcast), you just want the best SD set you can find. The main problem with true SD sets is a limited number of inputs.

Personally, I didn't want anything other than a Sony FD tube. I did quite a bit of research and found a recent model that is ideal for my needs and readily available: KV-32FS120. It only has three inputs (composite, s-video, component), but that is all I need for my NES and PSone. An alternative model would be the KV-32FS320, which is similar but has two component inputs.

The easiest thing in your case would be to either use an A/V receiver that switches s-video, or a separate s-video switcher. All three of the systems you mention are best with s-video output, and s-video is the "native" format of these TVs. This frees you up to get whatever the best TV happens to be in your local craigslist/kijiji area.

I should add that I have used the Wii via component on this TV and it looks fine. Sure, it's not as great as it was on my 50" Sony rear projection LCD, and it's interlaced, but it still look good. You just have to be sure to calibrate the colors as the red push on the Sony CRTs is very high.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-16-2011, 07:37 PM

The KV-32FS120 has a very good image but is alway's broken. Believe me, I've repaired over 100 of those sets. To get the better quality, get some old CRT Monitor with VGA inputs and RGB inputs. (1994-1999) Some even have S-Video and Composite inputs and scan double those inputs. Any mitsubishi megaview (XC3715C, XC2925, XC3725C,etc.) or Nec Multisync monitors (XP37+, XM37 XP29, etc. or smaller ()) have all these inputs and look great on any signal. Of course the higher end ones like the XP37+ are not that great in S-Vid and composite (you can always buy a line doubler!) but are awesome in vga and component and can sync to 1080p and QXGA. The width and size of screen is adjustable on the remote on almost any monitor. If you really want to have the better image, use a computer and an emulator for the nes, snes, n64, psx, genesis, gb, gba and nds. The PS2 and PS3 have component and VGA cables. So does the XBox360. The Wii I think also has component cables.
Search local office surplus stores for these monitors and believe me you will never even want a LCD or plasma.
CRT is always better than LCD in 1080p! And they can sync down to 320x240 for real old gaming )
post #13 of 14 Old 02-17-2011, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hey guys

New to the forum, ( Ola! ) i think the site absolutely rocks. No profanity or rude comments at all that i normally see on other techie forms. Its great!

But onto my question:

Im in the midst of making a deal with a friend for the Toshiba 34" HD Ready Widescreen TV (34HF83)

Doing my research over the past couple of weeks, ive read about convergence issues, banding issues, geometry issues, white glow, 1080i hdmi issues with the toshiba 34HF83. To be honest, i have an idea of what these issues but is this with every toshiba 34HF83 set? Like, im soo confused. Im a techie and all, but even this is slightly boggling to me. Can someone briefly explain this to me? Should i continue searching for the best crt hd tv? Or just get this model? I just want a realiable HD CRT tv for my games and movies. Thats all. No hassles.

My friend told me his tv was particularly good and has had no issues at all. I've yet to test it out my self according to my standards

Ive considered the sony xbr960 or the XSS models but they're extremely difficult to find in Toronto, Canada.

SO, my question is, IS this model, 34HF83 any good? Is it realiable? Is it worth the $220 price tag ( its being sold with stand and home theatre, Omega speakers and a Reel subwoofer)

Im gaming with it - HDMI - DVI converter by HDfury. I really dont want to have any of those issues, convergence, banding, etc. If i do, i'd be really upset if that was the case. I've also heard the HDMI outlets on the toshiba and sony models give owners a real hard time. Was there a partcular model in a certain year that didnt have these problems at all? Maybe a 'perfect' model?

Just plainly, someone tell me, from your experiences and knowledge, is this tv worth it for what i want? Or should i keep looking?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated, im desperate for my gaming tv and im very impatient with all this searching and reading. Its been nearly two months already! Please help!
post #14 of 14 Old 07-22-2011, 11:25 AM

I happen to own exactly what you are looking for. Its a flat 480p Daewoo CRT tv. it was the last CRT they made as far as I can tell and thus had all the features you are looking for. component 480p in and what not. They are out there for sale if you can find them. Fine TV. used it for n64-wii.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page