NEC multisync coloring (or discoloring) on right side - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-20-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

This is a NEC Multisync XM29 Xrta 29" monitor. When you power it on it shows a perfect picture. After sometime, the right side gradually becomes discolored. Once turned off for a while, it once again shows a great picture.

I used this with a cable box as my bedroom tv. Figured I'd connect a computer to it this year for an htpc setup.

Degaussing doesn't help and there are no unshielded speakers around it. Any Thoughs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Bump. Any suggestions??
post #3 of 10 Old 03-06-2011, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It is being magnetized some how. There has to be something nearby that is creating a strong magnetic field which it is subjected to. Speakers aren't the only thing that can do this, electrical lines, electrical appliances, motors etc. Go back to the drawing board and scrutinize what is nearby on the right side of the screen as this is the side that is discoloured, ergo this is the side that has stronger influence from the magnetic field wherever it is coming from.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-06-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

It is being magnetized some how. There has to be something nearby that is creating a strong magnetic field which it is subjected to. Speakers aren't the only thing that can do this, electrical lines, electrical appliances, motors etc. Go back to the drawing board and scrutinize what is nearby on the right side of the screen as this is the side that is discoloured, ergo this is the side that has stronger influence from the magnetic field wherever it is coming from.

Thanks for the reply. There's nothing on the right side on this box but wall. Now, I do have a vcr and cable box stacked on top of it. Would this effect the right side of it though?
post #5 of 10 Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 PM

If the power supply is on the right side of the unit? Sure. Just move those items, degauss and see if it goes away or does not return.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 08:36 PM

Liked: 11
When you press degauss on the remote or on the TV, do you hear the degausser click and after a while unclick? The degausser relay could be stuck or corroded, or have bad solders on the relay or degausser varistor. I hope you find the problem, these TV's are awesome. (I have a XP37+)
Also, if your model has geomagnetic adjustments, do try adjusting them. (My old mitsubishi's and nec had them and it would gauss unless adjusted to the right Cardinal (N,S,E,W)
If it's gaussing, the degausser SHOULD do something, at least distort the image for a second. Must be broken.(degausser varistor could have fallen like in RCA tv's)
post #7 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

If the power supply is on the right side of the unit? Sure. Just move those items, degauss and see if it goes away or does not return.

I moved the cable box away and removed the vcr completely. I then deguassed it and pulled the power plug for a couple of hours. Powered it back up and again great picture starting out and the discoloring starts out on the right and slowly works its way to one third of the screen.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neccrttv View Post

When you press degauss on the remote or on the TV, do you hear the degausser click and after a while unclick? The degausser relay could be stuck or corroded, or have bad solders on the relay or degausser varistor. I hope you find the problem, these TV's are awesome. (I have a XP37+)
Also, if your model has geomagnetic adjustments, do try adjusting them. (My old mitsubishi's and nec had them and it would gauss unless adjusted to the right Cardinal (N,S,E,W)
If it's gaussing, the degausser SHOULD do something, at least distort the image for a second. Must be broken.(degausser varistor could have fallen like in RCA tv's)

Yes the deguasser works and operates but it doesn't seem to have any effects on the problem. I don't know what you mean by geomagnetic adjustment so I'll have to look that up.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 AM

Have you tried moving the unit itself? Is there a wall near its right side? Has the monitor been in this position and location since you started to see this issue?
post #10 of 10 Old 03-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Liked: 11
If you want to be sure it's not the degausser or something related, open the back cover (unplug the monitor) and deplug the degausser. The degausser is a loop of wire around the tube (usually wrapped in black electric tape). Find the plug that connects to this loop and disconnect it. Either that or take the speakers off (shielding on speakers could have failed (rusted?).
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page