Anybody here know anything about the "professional" Sony monitors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-21-2011, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I'm talking about the monitors that were designed specifically for TV studios and video editing and things like that. I believe the Sony BVM series of monitors is one of the ones that was designed for this purpose.

What I'm trying to figure out, is whether or not Sony ever made a professional 4:3 monitor with a pure flat screen? Another question that I have, is that I'm interested in getting a 20 inch monitor 4:3 monitor, but I want a model that was made more recently. There are tons of used Sony BVM monitors on Ebay, but when I contact the sellers and ask them the month and year it was manufactured, they usually give me a year in the mid 90's. I'm trying to find something that was made as recent as 2003, 2004 or so. Any model #'s that I should concentrate on?
Anthony1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 02-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Member
 
salty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have often wondered that myself-but it seems like they are very expensive, so I'd also really like to know exactly why the price was so freaking high on some of these...

Here's a link to a brochure on the BVM-D series of monitors:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professiona...vm_dseries.pdf

Looks like these are 16:9, though. I see now you were asking about 4:3.
salty is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 02-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Newbie
 
firebottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You don't have to pay alot of money for these things...

I found a Sony PVM-20L2MD medical monitor (2003 model) at a government surplus outlet a few months ago. Only paid $35 for it. Has an extra card inserted with component/RGB inputs (along with the on-board component/RGB).

The RGB feature is great for old computers like Commodore Amigas and the Apple IIgs that output analog RGB at 15khz scan rate.

The one I got works great and is built like a tank.

It's not a pure flat screen like a WEGA.

Type "PVM20L2MD_PVM14L2MD.pdf" in google.
firebottle is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sony's old CRT broadcast monitors were great, but you should be aware of a few things.

As stated here most of them were 4.3. Additionally, most of them do not support any kind of progressive scan. (A few do, but the interlace-only models vastly outnumber them.) Most of them do not support Y-Pb-Pr.

So if you get one that fits the above description (very likely) then you will have to live with using composite, s-video, or RGB if you want to use the best image quality. This makes them great for older, classic video game systems like old Sega stuff, they tend to be coveted by classic game collectors for that reason. I don't think you are going to find one that was made after the late 90s. Even if you did, it is likely to have seen a lot of use, wherever it came from. If you really want one, they actually don't cost a lot to buy and typical freight shipping costs actually outweigh the real value of the screens nowadays, it is just difficult to recommend that you jump in with both feet when buying one that you cannot see in person or test out.

What purpose do you have for a screen like this?
LiquidSnake is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 02-26-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebottle View Post

You don't have to pay alot of money for these things...

I found a Sony PVM-20L2MD medical monitor (2003 model) at a government surplus outlet a few months ago. Only paid $35 for it. Has an extra card inserted with component/RGB inputs (along with the on-board component/RGB).

The RGB feature is great for old computers like Commodore Amigas and the Apple IIgs that output analog RGB at 15khz scan rate.

The one I got works great and is built like a tank.

It's not a pure flat screen like a WEGA.

Type "PVM20L2MD_PVM14L2MD.pdf" in google.


Yeah, I know which monitor you're talking about. I actually owned a very similar version of that monitor. Is yours white/creamish color? One mono speaker built into it? Yeah, Sony sold these monitors as Endoscopy monitors for hospitals. I ended up selling the one I had, just because while the picture quality was outstanding, it was kinda soft and out of focus. Kinda hard to describe without seeing in person, but I just wanted something that was sharper.

Right now, I'm thinking my ideal monitor would be a Sony BVM-A20F1U. These monitors were originally sold for around $15,000 or even more! no joke! I know for a fact that the 20F1U's were made till at least 2006, because I've seen a few on Ebay that were manufactured in 2006. The problem is, the prices for these are too high. Even used ones on Ebay. I can occasionally find one for about $350 or $450 shipped, but the ones that I can find for that price are the older ones, made in the mid 90's with tons of hours on the CRT. I'm trying to find one that had very little use, and one that was made sometime in 2003, 2004, 2005 or 2006 or something. It's going to be extremely difficult for me to find one that was made so recently, with low hours on it, for a price under $500, but I'm going to keep looking, because I think it will be the ultimate display for my older video game systems of the 1990's. (Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, original Playstation, Sega Saturn, etc, etc)
Anthony1 is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 02-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Member
 
hoffo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I remember reading an article somewhere online in 2008 I believe it was that Sony was stopping manufacture of their Pro CRT line. In the article it said that the BBC purchased a bunch if not all of the remaining stock of said pro monitors because they would no longer be available. So if my memory serves me right the newest Sony Pro monitors should be circa 2008 but probably only a few models were still made till then.
hoffo is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 02-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Newbie
 
firebottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Yeah, I know which monitor you're talking about. I actually owned a very similar version of that monitor. Is yours white/creamish color? One mono speaker built into it? Yeah, Sony sold these monitors as Endoscopy monitors for hospitals. I ended up selling the one I had, just because while the picture quality was outstanding, it was kinda soft and out of focus. Kinda hard to describe without seeing in person, but I just wanted something that was sharper.

Yes, it's that color.

I didn't notice any issues with focus, as it displays a very sharp image, especially in RGB mode. Maybe mine was used sparingly.

I can see why you'd want a late model broadcast monitor. But I'd only get one if it was $100 or less. I wouldn't ever use it in a "professional" manner, so I'm not willing to pay a "professional" price.
firebottle is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 03-02-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebottle View Post

Yes, it's that color.

I didn't notice any issues with focus, as it displays a very sharp image, especially in RGB mode. Maybe mine was used sparingly.

Yeah, I don't think it's a problem with the entire line of monitors, it's just that the one that I had was "kinda" blurry. It still looked very good, but it wasn't super sharp and crisp like my little Commodore 1084 monitor. Of course, my Commodore is only 13 inches ( I think 12 inches viewable ), and I'd like something that is closer to 19 inches viewable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffo View Post

I remember reading an article somewhere online in 2008 I believe it was that Sony was stopping manufacture of their Pro CRT line. In the article it said that the BBC purchased a bunch if not all of the remaining stock of said pro monitors because they would no longer be available. So if my memory serves me right the newest Sony Pro monitors should be circa 2008 but probably only a few models were still made till then.

Yeah, Sony still makes some really high-end commercial grade displays for television production facilities, etc, etc, but I don't think they make any 4:3 monitors in the 20 inch range anymore. I think they still have 4:3 displays that are 8 inches, but I'm not interested in those. I'd love to get a BVM-A20F1U that was made in 2004 or later, but it's going to be difficult to find one in my budget, but I'm going to keep looking.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Newbie
 
christcc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've worked in production for over 10 years. I usually act as the post-supervisor these days.

Sony's BVM line of broadcast monitors is the pinnacle of the CRT for many reasons:
- highest resolutions of any CRT's of their respective sizes - for example the BVM D and A line of flat 16:9 multi-format displays are 1000 line tubes
- SMPTE C phosphors guarantee proper reference color rendering over the life of the tube
- greatest input flexibility due to the complete customization of your input card selection
- the D and A lines are multi-format: NTSC, PAL, 480i, 525i, 720p60, 720p50, 1080psf24, 1080i60, 1080i50, 1035i60, 1035i50
- BVM monitors can auto-calibrate to SMPTE bars, and can be calibrated by calibration probes
- BVM monitors have higher tolerances and levels of accuracy for convergence and geometry
- guaranteed uniform white balance across the entire CRT
- BVM D and A series monitors are Grade 1 mastering monitors - they are considered reference monitors for perfect color, black levels and brightness

The 32 and 24 inch models have flat 16:9 CRT's. 20, 14, and 9 inch models are 4:3 CRTs, capable of 16:9. You can attach 16:9 masks to mask off the top and bottom of the display tubes.

Most displays except input cards for composite, S-Video, RGB/component, SD-SDI, HD-SDI, and DV. You can get HDMI to HD-SDI or HDMI to component converters if you need to get HDMI based signals into these displays.

If you are willing to buy one used, you can get fantastic deals on these on eBay. However, you need to spend the time to properly calibrate these displays or else you will not get the proper picture out of them that you can.

Also, since these are reference displays, they are not made to have "punchy" hyped images. You can add more saturation, brightness and contrast to the monitors, but the purpose of having a BVM display is getting as natural and pure an image as possible.

If you don't want a CRT, and need HDMI/DVI based inputs, the new Trimaster BVM-L series is Sony's CRT replacement. They are OLED and LED based. I can personally attest to the quality of these displays - they are truly the only current technology that properly matches the performance of a CRT in every way. They range from $8000 (PVM Trimaster line) to over $25,000, but frankly you get what you pay for.
christcc2 is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 03-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Member
 
salty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow-thanks for all the good info! The steep price makes sense now.
salty is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 03-14-2011, 04:57 AM
Senior Member
 
FusionITR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by christcc2 View Post
I've worked in production for over 10 years. I usually act as the post-supervisor these days.

Sony's BVM line of broadcast monitors is the pinnacle of the CRT for many reasons:
- highest resolutions of any CRT's of their respective sizes - for example the BVM D and A line of flat 16:9 multi-format displays are 1000 line tubes
- SMPTE C phosphors guarantee proper reference color rendering over the life of the tube
- greatest input flexibility due to the complete customization of your input card selection
- the D and A lines are multi-format: NTSC, PAL, 480i, 525i, 720p60, 720p50, 1080psf24, 1080i60, 1080i50, 1035i60, 1035i50
- BVM monitors can auto-calibrate to SMPTE bars, and can be calibrated by calibration probes
- BVM monitors have higher tolerances and levels of accuracy for convergence and geometry
- guaranteed uniform white balance across the entire CRT
- BVM D and A series monitors are Grade 1 mastering monitors - they are considered reference monitors for perfect color, black levels and brightness

The 32 and 24 inch models have flat 16:9 CRT's. 20, 14, and 9 inch models are 4:3 CRTs, capable of 16:9. You can attach 16:9 masks to mask off the top and bottom of the display tubes.

Most displays except input cards for composite, S-Video, RGB/component, SD-SDI, HD-SDI, and DV. You can get HDMI to HD-SDI or HDMI to component converters if you need to get HDMI based signals into these displays.

If you are willing to buy one used, you can get fantastic deals on these on eBay. However, you need to spend the time to properly calibrate these displays or else you will not get the proper picture out of them that you can.

Also, since these are reference displays, they are not made to have "punchy" hyped images. You can add more saturation, brightness and contrast to the monitors, but the purpose of having a BVM display is getting as natural and pure an image as possible.

If you don't want a CRT, and need HDMI/DVI based inputs, the new Trimaster BVM-L series is Sony's CRT replacement. They are OLED and LED based. I can personally attest to the quality of these displays - they are truly the only current technology that properly matches the performance of a CRT in every way. They range from $8000 (PVM Trimaster line) to over $25,000, but frankly you get what you pay for.
Wow, nice first post!!!
FusionITR is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 03-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Newbie
 
christcc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I read a lot on here, but I haven't really felt like I've had much to contribute until now. I mostly work with professional products every day. I'm a monitor nut, and I can calibrate a consumer display based off a few test patterns once I have figured out a displays response characteristics.

That said, I think everyone here are bigger videophiles than I am at times.
christcc2 is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 03-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Senior Member
 
FusionITR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by christcc2 View Post

Thanks. I read a lot on here, but I haven't really felt like I've had much to contribute until now. I mostly work with professional products every day. I'm a monitor nut, and I can calibrate a consumer display based off a few test patterns once I have figured out a displays response characteristics.

That said, I think everyone here are bigger videophiles than I am at times.

What is your location? I'd pay money for you to calibrate my PVM.
FusionITR is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 03-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Newbie
 
christcc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Phoenix, AZ.

What model do you have?

I can give you some general instructions if you want.
christcc2 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 03-15-2011, 03:03 AM
Senior Member
 
FusionITR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by christcc2 View Post

Phoenix, AZ.

What model do you have?

I can give you some general instructions if you want.

I was just in Phoenix a few weeks ago

Anyway, I have a NEC XM 2950. In fact I have a thread up about it right now, maybe you can help. Do you know how to access the service menu on this think? Even if you were here in person I don't think you can do much without getting into the service menu.
FusionITR is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Newbie
 
christcc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did some quick research and I can't find any information on that. It seems to be hard to find service manuals as well.

That would be my suggestion. Find a service manual - they usually contain menu and parts information.
christcc2 is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 03-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
FusionITR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by christcc2 View Post

I did some quick research and I can't find any information on that. It seems to be hard to find service manuals as well.

That would be my suggestion. Find a service manual - they usually contain menu and parts information.

Thats what I have been trying to do... I can't find the service manual for this thing
FusionITR is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 03-15-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 14,649
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 315
How many threads can you create?
Ratman is offline  
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off