Blu-ray on CRT? Any reason? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2011, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have an old, but still great, Sony 34XBR800. I've enjoyed DVD's upconverted through the DVI connection and find them to be very clear and sharp. I'm starting to buy a few blu-ray discs in the event that I eventually buy a large plasma television.

Will I notice any improvement on my 34 inch CRT with Blu-ray? I can't really imaging what a better picture would look like on a 34 inch although I know that on a 50 inch it definitely looks better. Also, I have a new Pioneer 1020 receiver. Would I notice an improvement from 5.1 to DTS-HD still running through a 5.1 speaker arrangement.

Thanks for any insights!

Art in Seattle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a noticeable improvement (blu ray over dvd) in observable resolution for me on my 36kd955xs at 10 feet or so. Your eysight and viewing distance would obviously be a factor

Regarding the DTS-HD factor versus bitstream lossy; there is a thread over in the receiver section which convinced me there was no real benefit in upgrading my receiver to lossless. Seems like only one in ten could discern a difference in audio when subjected to blind testing.

I realize that 9 of 10 people responding to such a question will state they are the one.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There are exceptions but the quality of DVDs usually isn't very good. It should be possible to tell the difference between a DVD and Blu-ray on most standard definition CRTs. So your large 1080i CRT should show up a reasonable difference.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Before I bought a 50" Plasma I used to watch Bluray on my 34XBR960 and could definitely see an improvement over DVD.

Shot I took from 34XBR960 playing a Bluray (PS3):
Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Wow. that is an impressive picture. I think I'll pick up a no frills Blu-ray and give it a try. I've already got a ROKU so I don't need the connectivity.

Thanks to all. Would still like to read more comments!

Art in Seattle
Old 02-27-2011, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
While I can't comment on Blu-ray I do have a Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player hooked up to my Toshiba 30HF66 HD CRT via HDMI. Well produced HD content absolutely blows away the PQ of even the best produced DVDs. So yes you will notice the difference in PQ even on on a smaller CRT. My set is 30" 16:9 and it doesn't even have aperture grille or super fine pitch like the Sony sets that are talked about on this forum. Just a standard shadow mask HD CRT and the difference between DVD and HD content is still very noticeable.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Blu-ray player has to scale 1080p24 to 1080i60 so I doubt the value proposition of buying a bottom of the line player with an outdated chipset. Better quality players aren't much more expensive and there are some bargains going like the Panasonic BD85 being dumped before the new models come in.