CT 32HX41 or MM36110 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-11-2002, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the chance to buy one or the other for $1499 . Which is the best deal ? Any advice would be great.

It's not 0 to 60 that counts it's 60 to 0 that does !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2002, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

That's a tough question to answer, as they are both good sets. It probably comes down to what's important to you.

The Panasonic has a flat screen, does the anamorphic squeeze for DVDs as well as HD content and has a built in line doubler. However, the flat screen tends to lead to picture geometry problems and while the line doubler is great with DVDs, it really makes a mess of bad content. I've got the 36" version of this set.

The RCA has VGA inputs for a PC and some think that is has the best picture quality of any direct view HD set. However, it doesn't do the anamorphic squeeze, it has a curved screen and has no built-in line doubler (which could be a positive too).

It would seem that if you still watch mostly NTSC content, the RCA would probably work out better, particularly since its 4" bigger. However, if you are going to watch a fair amount of HD and DVD's, then its a tougher choice.

Andy
post #3 of 8 Old 04-17-2002, 01:08 PM

I purchased the rca in January for $1200 with a 3 year in house warranty and use an Iscan pro with a DirecTV (S-video), PS2 (composite) and cheap Sampo DVD (component). My children use it primarily, but it is the most popular setup in the house. The Iscan selects whatever input is on, so there is no need to switch inputs from the TV (my wife can even use it).

Colors are wonderful, sound through the TV speakers not bad. A small thin line is occasionlly present on the upper side of the picture on same channels, presumably a digital artifact. The squeeze can be performed but requires service menu access and I haven't used it much. My son age 12 is just starting to use the nearby computer thru the second VGA input.

I'm very happy with it. I considered similar panasonic, hitachi and toshiba models. other TVs are an older 32" toshiba (family room) and a recently purchased panasonic 75U projector in the theatre room (that's another story). Would definitely recommend it but would use an Iscan (though I'm not sure the Pro is necesary) It's claim to fame is a very nice tube with a dot pitch visibly smaller than the other sets (and the 2 vga inputs).
post #4 of 8 Old 04-19-2002, 07:33 AM

I just bought RCA's follow-on model to the MM36110, which is the D36120. It still has a VGA input on the back (but only one), and it now includes a built in line doubler, which seems to work pretty well. I haven't hooked it up to any high res sources yet, but I'll be doing that this weekend.

So far I have only two complaints:
1. It's silver. I hate silver plastic...it's so tacky. I guess I'll get over it.
2. It has a fan that runs constantly when it's powered on. It's quiet enough that you can't hear it when there's any sound coming from the TV at all, but it's still annoying to hear during totally quiet passages.

I paid $1297 for it. I've seen reports that Costco on the west coast is carrying them for $994.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-19-2002, 07:38 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that vertical squeeze can now be toggled on and off with a single button on the remote. For some unknown reason, the bigheads at RCA put a picture of a dog bone on the button and labeled it "fetch"!
post #6 of 8 Old 04-24-2002, 05:53 PM

Drewba...

I am considering the same set CT-36HX41 that I think you have.

Most importantly: Does it *automatically* detect and squeeze anamorphic DVD content? My Sony Wega XBR does this automagically with my DVD player is setup as if it is connected to a widescreen TV.

Also: You mentioned the line doubler makes a mess of bad content... Could you expand on this? Would basic cable be worse on this set than a regular, similar sized set (like the SX41)?

Are you happy with the set? Would you buy it again?

Thanks,
-J
post #7 of 8 Old 04-24-2002, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kunzelman
Drewba...

I am considering the same set CT-36HX41 that I think you have.

Most importantly: Does it *automatically* detect and squeeze anamorphic DVD content? My Sony Wega XBR does this automagically with my DVD player is setup as if it is connected to a widescreen TV.

Also: You mentioned the line doubler makes a mess of bad content... Could you expand on this? Would basic cable be worse on this set than a regular, similar sized set (like the SX41)?

Are you happy with the set? Would you buy it again?

Thanks,
-J
It does automatically squeeze anamorphic DVDs, at least with an interlaced DVD player. I haven't tried a progressive player, so I can't verify that it would, but I believe that it does based on previous posts that I've seen.

IMHO, DirecTV looked more detailed on my older analog 36" Panasonic than on this set. The better the signal quality, the better the resulting picture from the line doubler. It has been a while since I upgraded to this set, but from my recollection, fine details just look blockier on this set than on the older one.

I bought the set slightly used for $1,200. While the HD and DVD picture is very nice, I use those aspects of the set probably 5-10% of the time, most of my viewing is NTSC DirecTV. Based on that, for my usage, I probably wouldn't buy it again, especially if I were going to have to pay full new price.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-25-2002, 09:06 AM

Drewba,

That's exactly the info I was looking for.

Since most of my everyday viewing will be regular cable, I think I'm going to find one of these sets and check out the quality on less than perfect signal sources.

I had assumed since I liked the SX31 that the more advanced set HX would work better in all cases (it sure looked nice showing DVD's)...

Thanks,
-J
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page