Sampo 16:9 34" Viewable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-11-2002, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All!

A couple weeks ago I bought a Sampo 16:9 34" viewable monitor to replace my 12 year old Sony 19". What an upgrade.

Anyway, I had to buy the monitor sight unseen because I could not find a showroom anywhere to demo it. My research turned up some good reviews, including the fact that the tube is high-end Toshiba.

I took a risk, but for $1,800 at buy.com, I could not pass it up. I wanted (and got) a 16:9 direct-view that could display any HDTV resolution natively. I also purchased a $350 Hauppauge PC WinTV-HD card for HDTV.

The monitor has S-Video, interlace and progressive component inputs, as well as RGB. I use the RGB input for WinDVD, HDTV, and my PC desktop.

So far I am pleased. HDTV and DVDs look fantastic. The video processing for NTSC on the WinTV card leaves much to be desired, however. I am considering purchasing an external line doubler. The Sampo has none built-in.

I know I need to adjust and fine-tune the monitor after I finish breaking it in, and I look forward to doing that. If you are an expert in the Atlanta area and wish to see this monitor, or even better - help me adjust it - consider this your invitation.

Any other comments, suggestions, or questions to this newbie videophile are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
CapnToke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-12-2002, 09:27 AM

Capn, look carefully at the extreme left and right of your picture (beige or blue background). Do you see any vertical bands of discoloration (maybe 1-2" wide)?

My set has it - maybe I got a bum tube.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-12-2002, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by wojtek
Capn, look carefully at the extreme left and right of your picture (beige or blue background). Do you see any vertical bands of discoloration (maybe 1-2" wide)?

My set has it - maybe I got a bum tube.
1/2" on the left side can sometimes appear a little darker than the rest of the tube using the RGB input. I've seen this in most other computer monitors at different refresh rates, so it does not surprise me.

I have not experienced what you describe. Since you have *discoloration* on *both sides* my first assumption would be magnetic interference from your speakers, but you've probably already eliminated that.

CapnToke
post #4 of 4 Old 04-12-2002, 02:09 PM

Hi All

My 34" Sampo is great. I use it OTA with the Samsung T150. Has anyone had experiance with a professional tune up and what to ask for.

Henry
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page