34" sampo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 04-11-2002, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems like there are some great deals on this widescreen set, $1800 at buy.com i believe...

Is this supposed to be a top notch set. It seems like it doesn't have some of the enhanced features of the sony xbr's or regular sony hs series...

Any thoughts?

-smak-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-11-2002, 07:50 PM

It uses Toshiba's best tube, not available in current US toshiba sets. It can scan up to 75hz, meaning it can natively do 720P. Its a great set and I may buy one. Here are the issues: Only one S-video input which is on the front of the set, and no line doubler. Clearly a higher resolution TV than a SONY.
I want it to play X-BOX games on it. (the game Halo is 16:9 @1080i). if you plan use it primarily for standard broadcast then it may not be for you. I would recommend it for those who primarily watch DVDs and HDTV.
post #3 of 24 Old 04-11-2002, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joquito
It uses Toshiba's best tube, not available in current US toshiba sets. It can scan up to 75hz, meaning it can natively do 720P. Its a great set and I may buy one. Here are the issues: Only one S-video input which is on the front of the set, and no line doubler. Clearly a higher resolution TV than a SONY.
All true except for the S-Video input on the back. Yes, the specs say it is not there, but I was pleasently surprised to find one on my unit.

Of course, with no internal line doubler, why would you ever want to use it?

Check out my post earlier on this board if you haven't already.

CapnToke
post #4 of 24 Old 04-12-2002, 08:18 AM

I have owned this set for a year.

Has color purity problems on the sides of the screen, moire patterns on some material, pulsating whites, misconvergence.

Other than that, great set.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-12-2002, 04:31 PM

hey Wojtek,

Did this happen out of the box? Have you had it calibrated? I know the Moire effects happen due to the Velocity modulation scanning with NTSC signals, but are they apparent on Component/ RGB signals?
post #6 of 24 Old 04-12-2002, 05:13 PM

joquito, the faults of this set were there out of the box.
If you do a search on sampo in this forum and www.audioreview.com you'll see that some other people had similar complaints, while others were happy with their sets. Could be that some tubes are funky. Buyer beware. I decided to keep the set because it does PAL progressive (576p), a rarity. I may yet pester Sampo for an exchange before my warranty expires, but I am not sure.
This thing is heavy and I don't feel like lifting a new set.

w
post #7 of 24 Old 04-12-2002, 05:58 PM

I picked up one of these recently via Buy.com- they had a package that included a Sanyo progressive scan DVD player for under $2k.

The tradeoff with this set is minimal manual and somewhat less convenient operation than others I've considered. It weighs 200#, and it's BIG. But the picture is outstanding (I must have gotten a good tube). I use it with a HiPix computer HDTV decoder card connected to the RGB input- just like a regular computer monitor- and it's an eye-popper on over-the-air HDTV. Great on DVDs as well.

Get yourself a programmable remote to make it more convenient, and you'll love it for about $1500 less than anything equivalent.
post #8 of 24 Old 04-15-2002, 09:28 AM

I have mine about a month now and I love it. The TV need a little bit work right out of the box but it reward you with a great picture.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-15-2002, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
These are a favorite for people with HTPCs as for the price they are a great deal and the HTPC handles scaling fine. Otherwise you'll need a video scaler to go with it.
post #10 of 24 Old 04-16-2002, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
34whd5 for $1700 delivered

Ubid is selling a Sampo 34whd5 for $1432 plus $265 shipping to anywhere in the continental US. Go to www.ubid.com and search for 34whd5.

This is evidently a liquidation of a Costco special buy (according to Sampo America). The set is black, not the gray of a standard set and has a second S video input in the back and the upgraded remote with direct input selection rather than cycling thru the inputs.

They have been selling them for over a month. A note of caution, however. I received mine and I could not get any video (could get sound). It is not clear whether it was damaged in shipping or is a defective set (no obvious shipping damage to carton). Sampo America is to pick it up and fix it. I have asked them also to check the geometery, convergence and calibration on the set when they get it back. Ubid has disclaimed responsibility for sending me a non-working set- they say it is Sampo America's responsibility. Assuming the set is fixed (or replaced), it is an inconvenience (including delay in not having the set for 2-3 weeks total) but at least I should get back a set that has been calibrated (if not to ISF standards).

As the set is not working, I cannot speak of the picture quality. I know that Vic Y also got his set from Ubid and his works and he is very pleased with it.

- Phil Klein
post #11 of 24 Old 04-16-2002, 12:55 PM

Yeah, I bought it over UBID 2 weeks ago, 1325+265 shipped. For the price, you can't beat that. I am watching mostly digital cable, playing psx2 and progressive DVD's. I thought maybe you needed to get a scaler to make it look good, but it does look good enough for me not to justify the 400$ for the scaler. I am very happy with this set. It looks just as good as the sony XBR2, especially with progressive DVD's. I suggest you pick it up while you still can.

The only bad part about it is the size, it weighs almost 200lb.
post #12 of 24 Old 04-16-2002, 09:44 PM

Has Sampo made any modifications to the set in the past 2 years or so? Over on Audioreview it took a bit of a dogging from some of the most recent reviewers.

Complaints included:
  • Functionality/features (e.g. cycling through inputs)
  • Lack of inputs
  • No line doubler
  • No digital comb filter
  • Poor 480i quality
  • Ugly/cheap looking
  • cheap remote

Now some of these are clearly price/features tradeoffs, but the essence seems to be that this set is basically useless to function as anything except a monitor with the support of a line doubler, HD source, progressive scan DVD player (or an HTPC to cover these functions) as well as a separate receiver/sound system. I don't care about the sound requirements as I have those covered already, but as to the video requirements that might be a little harder. Getting this set would be a budget stretch already, and it would be a while before I could pick up the video addons for 480i sources. Also, I'd rather that something that costs nearly $2000 not look and feel cheap, does anyone who owns one of these have any comments as to the look of the set?

Other than these concerns, this monitor is calling my name.

-Q
post #13 of 24 Old 04-17-2002, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by qball
... the essence seems to be that this set is basically useless to function as anything except a monitor with the support of a line doubler, HD source, progressive scan DVD player (or an HTPC to cover these functions).... Also, I'd rather that something that costs nearly $2000 not look and feel cheap, does anyone who owns one of these have any comments as to the look of the set?
I agree with the first statement. The set needs one of the sources you listed to realize its power. Using it without one will be dissapointing. Given the price, an acceptable tradeoff I think.

But it does not feel or look cheap to me. The unit is sturdy and seems well put-together. The body panels do not flex or bend while moving the set. The remote is large, spartan and featureless, but it does not feel or look cheap either.

CapnToke
post #14 of 24 Old 04-17-2002, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
The upcomoing model looks very good, but the lack if Firewire is a deal killer for me.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #15 of 24 Old 04-17-2002, 04:04 PM

Quote:
But it does not feel or look cheap to me.
Well that's good to hear, I'd like to actually see one for myself. What color is it? I've heard that though the pictures you tend to see online make it look silver ala WEGA/Tau series, that it's actually more of a champagne color. Have any pictures of your own for a comparison?

Oooh, and any linkage about the upcoming model?

-Q
post #16 of 24 Old 04-17-2002, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
The upcomoing model looks very good, but the lack if Firewire is a deal killer for me.
I have yet to see anything on a new Sampo 16:9 direct view. Care to give us a link?

Also, who is putting firewire in direct view monitors? Wouldn't that require DV processing capability built-in?

CapnToke
post #17 of 24 Old 04-17-2002, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by qball

Well that's good to hear, I'd like to actually see one for myself. What color is it? I've heard that though the pictures you tend to see online make it look silver ala WEGA/Tau series, that it's actually more of a champagne color.
Yeah I read that too. It's true, although I would say it is more silver than champagne.

Too bad you are in NY, or else you could check out mine in ATL.

CapnToke
post #18 of 24 Old 04-17-2002, 05:24 PM

34whd6 is the new 2002 model. Have several ergonomic changes. Also an internal line doubler and Panasonic instead of Toshiba tube. Do a search on 34whd6 in the forum. Several postings on it and at least one thread.

- Phil
post #19 of 24 Old 04-17-2002, 05:29 PM

There are several other threads currently discussing the new Sampo 34WHD6. Here is a link to one of them - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=Sampo

Edit - Here are the other current threads that mention the 34WHD6:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=34WHD6

Here is a link to an older Sampo press release - http://www.sampoamericas.com/news/HDTV-Release-CES.pdf

I just got off the phone with a Sampo rep and they were very helpful. 1-800-sampo-22. The rep told me that the units would start shipping in June...possibly July. MSRP - $2999

All the same features that made the WHD5 attractive plus:
Built in Line Doubler!
Rear S-Video Input
Dual high-definition inputs (each supporting all modes)
Zoom modes for 4:3 material
Much better remote with direct access input controls
...more info in the links I have included

I can't wait for this set.

- Jeff
post #20 of 24 Old 04-18-2002, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
If it had Firewire, it would be the perfect set, since it does native PAL.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #21 of 24 Old 04-18-2002, 12:19 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about a Firewire input. There is no plan to require any encryption for OFF-AIR broadcasts (The major source of HD content).
post #22 of 24 Old 04-18-2002, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I picked up one on Ubid. Great Price. So far I am absolutely thrilled. They seem to have made several modifications from the comments posted on AudioReview. For example, the new remote with direct access to inputs. I hooked up my PC and am using PowerStrip to display 720p. DVD playback is breathtaking. I'm in the process of building a HTPC and may also get a HDTV Sat. Box. I have not seen any of the problems that people have reported (problem with sides of tube, etc.) This thing is like looking at a computer monitor...only bigger. Unbelievable how you can adjust pin cushion, trapezoid, rotation, etc. I didn't buy a Sony/ect because:
- All the line doublers in current sets look terrible. Too much pixelation, etc. on poor/mediocre feeds.
- I will let PC and/or Sat. Box perform the upconversion and treat the Sampo as a display monitor.
- Sampo does 720P. 720P ROCKS!

I was holding out waiting on Firewire/DVI, but $1600 delivered was too good a deal to pass up. Worst case if DVI/Firewire take over: I have one hell of a set for watching DVD's on and OTA HD will not be down-graded.

-Foos
post #23 of 24 Old 04-18-2002, 08:21 PM

Is yours black or silver? Do you have an s-video port in the back?

-Q
post #24 of 24 Old 04-19-2002, 05:58 PM

Mine was silver, had s-video on the back and had direct input buttons on the remote.

I also see some problems others have mentioned with the tube, including darkness at the left edge and geometry issues. Thanks for those links, jjonesx86.

I am just a novice, but my take is that I see these things in all computer monitors. I spend a lot of time looking at them - good ones and bad ones. Here we just have one that is so large and wide that these problems are magnified and difficult to control. It's still a good tube.

I foresee this new model with the Panasonic tube sharing some of these same issues. If I did not use mine for a desktop, I could easily use overscan to mask the geometry issues.

Other problems I've seen mentioned, purity and convergence, I am still learning about. I don't know if I have them or not, which is a good sign I guess.

But watching HDTV is just breathtaking. And not like that baby from Seinfeld.

CapnToke
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page