No Coaxial Input on TV, but want DISH Network -- PLEASEEEEE HELP!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, let me start off by saying that I am not the most technologically advanced person. Yesterday, I switched from Comcast to DISH Network. I have an older model 27" Emerson Video/DVD combo TV. It does not have a coaxial input. Before making the switch to DISH, in order to watch Comcast, I had to use the red, yellow, and white outlets (don't know what you call them) located on the front of the tv. I had to keep the tv on the AUX channel. Well, the DISH technician told me I needed to either buy a new tv (not an option right now), or buy a rf modulator that converts coaxial to RCA. I told him I already had one, and he told me that the rf modulator I had only utilizes channel 3 and 4. He stated I couldn't pick up the DISH Network signal using those two channels. He said my satellite was set up to channels 60 and 62; therefore, I needed to get some multi channel rf modulator. I went to Radio Shack, and they have never heard of such a modulator. I am confused, upset, and I want my t.v. hooked up. Does anyone have some advice to give to a young lady, who is a bit 'challenged' when it comes to technology?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Your DISH receiver will have the same yellow, white and red outputs that the cable box had. Just replace the cable box, leave the cable connected to the TV, and then the yellow goes to the "video output" on the back of the receiver, and the white and red go to the audio output. You will continue to watch TV on AUX.

When you have DISH installed, the installer should be able to do this.

SMK
post #3 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How can it be a "TV" if it doesn't have a tuner / coax input ?

a "Display" perhaps - but not a TV.

In any event - RoyGBiv gave you the correct answer - ALL Dish receivers have the same series of A/V outputs as that cable box, and the HD models have even more options.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #4 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, to the both of you, for responding. The DISH tech only brought one receiver. He put it on the tv downstairs, so I don't know what to do. Here's the setup: Living room t.v. (the one with the receiver) is mirrored with the tv in the master bedroom...they will utilize Channel 62. The den t.v. (tv missing the coaxial input) is supposed to be mirrored with bedroom #2, utilizing Channel 60. Right now I'm able to watch tv in both bedrooms using Channel 62.

I am so confused. I'm beginning to think switching to DISH was a mistake. I told you this all confusing, and I'm getting a headache.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Having had Dish in the past, (currently OTA only) both previous answers are correct. The installer will choose the best hook up option for you. Dish network receivers typically have an internal RF modulator, enabling a standard definition output to an older television. You shouldn't have to buy anything beyond what Dish provides to get a picture to your set. The receiver has two tuners, and you can send a picture to a different set, and be able to view two different channels on two different sets at the same time.

What is the model number of your Dish receiver? Should be available on the instruction book you provided. If I remember correctly, you may have the option to change the output channel to anything including ch 3 or 4.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

"How can it be a "TV" if it doesn't have a tuner / coax input ?"

Great question...I bought the tv in 2004 from Best Buy. It does not appear to be a computer monitor...it has a remote w/ dvd/vcr capabilities...I appreciate your help, but I am respectfully request that you pleaseeee keep your suggestions and replies simple for me. I truly am a novice, and not knowing how to fix this is quite frustrating.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

In response to Bozz: The DISH tech told me to go out and buy a RF Modulator...should I have them come back out?
post #8 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySweets73 View Post

Thank you, to the both of you, for responding. The DISH tech only brought one receiver. He put it on the tv downstairs, so I don't know what to do. Here's the setup: Living room t.v. (the one with the receiver) is mirrored with the tv in the master bedroom...they will utilize Channel 62. The den t.v. (tv missing the coaxial input) is supposed to be mirrored with bedroom #2, utilizing Channel 60. Right now I'm able to watch tv in both bedrooms using Channel 62.

I am so confused. I'm beginning to think switching to DISH was a mistake. I told you this all confusing, and I'm getting a headache.

If you would have included this bit of info in your first post -

Ok - Apparently what you have for a Dish receiver is one of the Dual tuner models, and the Dish receiver is installed close to the TV downstairs. And the Dish tech was looking to use the RF modulator on the TV2 output to provide your upstairs "TV" access that way.

As suggested in the other thread - the easy solution here is for you to get a VCR (or maybe a DVD recorder) with an analog tuner (see Craigs list, freecycle for your area etc.- ). Or you can buy another TV (I understand about the budget thing - but my wife says TVs with analog tuners are pretty available on Craig's list, etc. as well)). Or - you can buy some really long version of the cable that the cable box was using - on the TV2 output , there is a second set of the red/white/yellow connectors.

Or a second Dish receiver can be acquired for the denTV. This would however require you to pay a monthly access fee for the second receiver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

"How can it be a "TV" if it doesn't have a tuner / coax input ?"

Great question...I bought the tv in 2004 from Best Buy. It does not appear to be a computer monitor...it has a remote w/ dvd/vcr capabilities...I appreciate your help, but I am respectfully request that you pleaseeee keep your suggestions and replies simple for me. I truly am a novice, and not knowing how to fix this is quite frustrating.

Well we can't help you unless we know if you actually have a TV or a not. It's simple, if something is advertised as a TV then it MUST have a coax input. It's the law. It would help greatly if you would SIMPLY post the model number which should be on the TV somewhere. Most likely the back.
post #10 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

I am just going to opt for a new t.v., I guess. I came to this board, because I was hoping someone could walk me through what I need to do. As I originally posted, I am not tech-savvy. Most of what I presented, was told to me by the DISH tech-guy. This is all greek...therefore, I wouldn't have known what I should have initially added. I stated the problem, as it was told to me, and asked for advice. I am done. This board is obviously made for individuals who already know what the heck they are doing...thanks to those who truly tried to help. I'm done.
post #11 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
WOW it only took you less than 3 hrs. to give up.

Unfortunately our psychic abilities to see into your home are limited.
I'm fairly certain the correct responses would have been
A. I will get that information to you.
B. If you need any other info, just ask and I will try to get all of the info you need.

If you don't have a coax input, someone already told you what you need - a VCR or DVDRecorder that has a coax input would be the most economical option.
post #12 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I am just going to opt for a new t.v., I guess. I came to this board, because I was hoping someone could walk me through what I need to do. As I originally posted, I am not tech-savvy. Most of what I presented, was told to me by the DISH tech-guy. This is all greek...therefore, I wouldn't have known what I should have initially added. I stated the problem, as it was told to me, and asked for advice. I am done. This board is obviously made for individuals who already know what the heck they are doing...thanks to those who truly tried to help. I'm done.

Can you provide the model number of the set you have?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #13 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:

I came to this board, because I was hoping someone could walk me through what I need to do. As I originally posted, I am not tech-savvy. .... I am done. This board is obviously made for individuals who already know what the heck they are doing...thanks to those who truly tried to help. I'm done.

Sounds like a previous poster that used the name RockyRose.
post #14 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hi there --- No, I'm not a poster using a different name, and I apologize if my frustration has given anyone that idea. It's just that I specifically said that I am technologically challenged, and all the advice given involves "just change this out, and use this". I didn't hook it up the first time (with Comcast), and so I am having a funk of a time trying to figure out your suggestions. I just tried to hook up a vcr, and of course, I mess this up royally. The model # is EWC27TV -- manufactured in 2004.

I know I'm probably going to catch alot of heat for this next part. I just turned the tv around to look at the back. It looks like there once WAS coaxial on the tv; however, it was broken off. I apologize for not including this information before, but I just realized this.
post #15 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
That makes more sense. Given this then I'd say Scoopers suggestion makes the most sense. That is to buy(or get for free) a old VCR(note the VCR doesn't have to actually play but it does need to power up and you'll probably need the remote to run a channel scan). With this VCR you'll hook it's A/V OUTPUTS to your TVs AV INPUTS(you stated they were located on the front of your TV). Hook the coax from your Dish's output to the VCRs coax IN jack. Turn the VCR and your TV ON and select the front inputs for your TV. Pull up the VCRs menu and run a channel scan(I believe you should select Antenna if asked(but I'm not positive about this, maybe someone else will know for sure)). The VCR should pick up only one channel(channel 60 according to you).
To watch satellite TV on your combo TV you'll need to power up your VCR.
Good luck!
post #16 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

That makes more sense. Given this then I'd say Scoopers suggestion makes the most sense. That is to buy(or get for free) a old VCR(note the VCR doesn't have to actually play but it does need to power up and you'll probably need the remote to run a channel scan). With this VCR you'll hook it's A/V OUTPUTS to your TVs AV INPUTS(you stated they were located on the front of your TV). Hook the coax from your Dish's output to the VCRs coax IN jack. Turn the VCR and your TV ON and select the front inputs for your TV. Pull up the VCRs menu and run a channel scan(I believe you should select Antenna if asked(but I'm not positive about this, maybe someone else will know for sure)). The VCR should pick up only one channel(channel 60 according to you).
Good luck!

I would say it will probably get 62 and 60, but I would check it first. Just make sure that the Dish modulator setting (Air or Cable) is the same that you set the analog TV tuner to.

post #17 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Good luck!

Thanks, JJeff...I will try this out tonight, and let you know know how it went in the morning...I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
post #18 of 26 Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

What on earth does any of this have to do with HDTV?

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #19 of 26 Old 04-11-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboG View Post

What on earth does any of this have to do with HDTV?

Nothing.

Moved to proper forum.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #20 of 26 Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

If you live in a major city, try scouring Craigslist.org, often times you can get another tv like yours in good shape or even bigger for $0-$50. I wouldn't pay more than $25 for a 36" tv though

Other than moving a heavy tv, it would make your current issue easier to fix
post #21 of 26 Old 04-11-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, Paco...I will check it out.
post #22 of 26 Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Good Evening - I'm glad to say that everyone's suggestion to use an old vcr worked out perfectly...after a few hit and misses with the yellow/white/red cords, I finally got it right! Thanks, again, everyone...for your advice and patience. Take care and God Bless.
post #23 of 26 Old 04-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Glad you got it working. See you aren't as challenged as you think
post #24 of 26 Old 04-13-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Paco...I'm a work in progress...I have to learn patience...but I really do appreciate your help.
post #25 of 26 Old 04-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm just a little curious... as I have never owned Dish service before...

Are all the boxes like this?

I would assume a variety of connectors should be standard on the box.

My cable box has coax, RCA, and HDMI...

Is this just cost cutting from the Dish people?

Got iSCSI?
post #26 of 26 Old 04-15-2011, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthlude View Post

I'm just a little curious... as I have never owned Dish service before...

Are all the boxes like this?

I would assume a variety of connectors should be standard on the box.

My cable box has coax, RCA, and HDMI...

Is this just cost cutting from the Dish people?

If you go to the Dish Network website, you can look at all of their receiver/dvrs, front and back.

I have the 722K dual dvr. The outputs for the first tv are all of the standard, component, composite, HDMI and optical (can't remember if it has RF out ). The outputs for TV2 are composite and RF (no HD output on TV2, although you still get the hd channels). The tech originally set-up coax for TV2 which is in the basement and tuned the tv to channel 60. Since the basement tv only has one rf input and it's a HD set, I lost my OTA HD. So, I bought a 25 ft composite cable set from monoprice and connected the tv that way, thus re-enabling OTA hd. Works great and the composite picture is better than the rf picture was.

The only thing I dislike about the 722K is that there isn't a s-video output for TV2. I would have connected my basement set that way. It seems that s-video is going away. I wish it was composite instead. Why get rid of the better option? That set is mostly used for Xbox 360/pc gaming and Netflix anyway, so having hd isn't that critical.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page