Buffing or hiding scratches on glass? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-06-2011, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I recently bought a 20" Trinitron endoscopy monitor to use for old school games. It has the best color I've seen on any monitor. I was blown away by the realistic contrast on all the sources I put through it.

A problem arose when I got to a scene with a large white beach, I noticed that I have three very small scratches very close to each other on the screen, making an area less than a square half-centimeter (which is very noticeable when you're sitting close to the small monitor). They're pretty distracting, because they look black against most uniform backgrounds.

I couldn't feel the scratch with my fingernail, so I know it is possible to buff it out with some sort of fine grain abrasive. However, I feel they wouldn't be very noticeable if I could simply polish the spot with something that would fill the scratches and allow some light to pass through.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-07-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
if u can't feel with your nails then hopefully there is nothing to fill and it's superficial dirt.

I would... use some toothpaste diluted with 1/4 H2O, dip it on the spot(s) and let it soap for a couple of minutes. Rub vigorously with a clean tshirt. U can sub toothpaste with metal polish. Do this a few times see if it makes any difference.

If there is indeed a depression to be filled (may want to verify this with a loupe), then an auto store windshield repair kit may do the trick.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page