Picture is jumpy when turn TV on - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic 19" or 20" CRT TV that's about 11 y/o. When I turn the TV on, the picture jumps around for awhile. It takes anywhere from 15-30 min to straighten out. The picture jumps up and down (I think) but I believe if this were an older TV with knobs on it, I would use the horizontal knob to fix the problem. I hope that made sense.

Does anyone know what the problem might be and how much it might cost to fix it? Additionally, I think the picture tube is wearing out. I have to turn the brightness up near high and even then it's still dark. The color of everything is becoming more and more green. Everything is becoming fuzzier, but it's not that noticeable unless compared to another TV.

I'm wondering if it's worth having this TV repaired. I'd be willing to pay $150 or so if it was guaranteed to last 3 years (I originally paid $199 for it). Does anyone know if any of this sounds reasonable or possible? So many of the repair places around here are operated and employeed by people who have thick accents that I can't understand, otherwise I'd call and ask questions. If this TV is worth fixing, I'm gonna have to find a place where there are employees that I can actually understand. I'd probably have to travel 2 hours away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Could be many things. One of the most common problems in 2000's Panasonics is the vertical IC having bad solders. A tech should be able to repair that for between 60-100$ (maybe less if you know what the problem is ) and it sould never occur again. As for the brightness problem, these TV's always had a screen adjust that was too low from the factory. Only has to be turned clockwise a bit for it to be as good as new. See Dark Picture thread started by cwpl a bit lower on this forum. It was a Panasonic too.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1327511
As for greenish tint, that could be some color tracking in the service menu.

A tech should be able to repair it and adjust screen, focus (blurr) and track the colors for less than 100$. And usually the TV should last at least another 5-10 years.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Maybe it's time to go digital. That size flat screen is going about usd$200.

My carrier gives me some analog channels in digital, and even at low resolution, it's just cleaner and sharper.