Sony KV-27FS100 - worth using for 240p/480i content? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-26-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so I'm thinking of grabbing this model from someone on Craigslist for cheap. My home theater setup is using a Pioneer 5020fd while my retro gaming setup currently uses a Sony KV-27HS420. The HS420 is a great CRT, but it is a high scan display designed for higher resolutions. I'm only using it for retro gaming at this point and the line doubling artifacts, while not too bad, definitely detract. I'm looking for an accurate reproduction of 240p (think Sega Genesis and other systems of that era).

From what I gather, the FS100 is a decent CRT. Going to check it out today, but I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on that series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-26-2011, 04:54 PM

Liked: 11
The FS100 series was great, much better than the FS120 that followed. Be sure to check if the tube is in good condition(is the TV more of a magenta coloring, sign of the green cathode being of poor quality). Also you can also check if the TV ever had any problems by pressing on th remote, while the TV is closed, Display then 5 then Vol Down and then Power to show the Tv self-test. If all values are at 0, good chances it has no problems.(To exit self-test close it and then turn it back on) I haven't repaired much KV-27FS100 except for power supply and tube problems. If the tube is okay, the TV should be great for gaming when you remove velocity modulation(VM) in the menu, it'll look much better on old games.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-26-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neccrttv View Post

Also you can also check if the TV ever had any problems by pressing on th remote, while the TV is closed, Display then 5 then Vol Down and then Power to show the Tv self-test. If all values are at 0, good chances it has no problems.(To exit self-test close it and then turn it back on) .

Does that work with other Sony's?
post #4 of 5 Old 05-27-2011, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Thanks neccrttv. The tube is in perfect condition. I have a service manual for this model so I was able to go through the service menu and make a lot of adjustments. The end results are quite good. 240p content is particularly striking, as I was hoping.

I have a SCART to component transcoder and some SCART cables for my retro systems on the way so things should look great.

Considering the issues that commonly arise with geometry, I'm also quite happy with that aspect. It took a few mild adjustments, but the TV now produces a very clean grid with minimal issues.

It definitely wasn't fun lifting it upstairs and then taking my HS420 to the basement on my own. :P

Quote:
Does that work with other Sony's?

This seems to work with every somewhat modern Sony CRT I've used. Not sure if it applies to earlier 90s models (or older), but it definitely works across a broad range of them.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-27-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark1x View Post

It definitely wasn't fun lifting it upstairs and then taking my HS420 to the basement on my own. :P

I have a 36'' and 32'' always fun when they need moving.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page