Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-18-2011, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
KBI
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I start the game..The picture is the darkest I have ever seen it, & you see the title being lite in flames with sparks jumping out at you.. Very 3D like.. & with the background so black it makes the sparks stand out even more.. I was taken back by it.. It really gave the illusion that sparks were firing from your TV.. Pinball plus analog equals bliss.. I prefer analog for video & audio.. Long live Vinyl & CRT.. Digital still can't compete IMO.. Off topic.. Digital music drains the emotion out of music IMO..Dylan, Boston, Aeosmith, etc all feel the same way, & digital displays lacks the ability to reproduce a film like presentation.. Yeah off topic, but it's done.

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-18-2011, 11:01 PM

Liked: 12
Totally agree with you on the Vinyl & CRT love. I still buy new music on vinyl if it's available (which more and more it is) and rarely ever purchase music that isn't on vinyl. I also love CRTs they have that same sort of warmth and realism that you get with vinyl records but with video. I'm a younger guy and I still appreciate the older analog audio and video devices.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-19-2011, 05:34 PM

Liked: 11
I agree also, though I haven't listened to enough vinyl to talk about it but I know the sound is so much more complete.
And any CRT for gaming is better than anything.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-19-2011, 06:15 PM

"Give me analog or give me deaf"
post #5 of 9 Old 06-20-2011, 03:13 AM

I would think the lack of ghosting versus LCD would be a big benefit too-next best thing to the real thing. :-)
post #6 of 9 Old 06-24-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
KBI
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffo View Post

Totally agree with you on the Vinyl & CRT love. I still buy new music on vinyl if it's available (which more and more it is) and rarely ever purchase music that isn't on vinyl. I also love CRTs they have that same sort of warmth and realism that you get with vinyl records but with video. I'm a younger guy and I still appreciate the older analog audio and video devices.

Vinyl, much like CRT was pushed out as inferior.. When CD's first came out I thought they were better, until I heard the same song on a nice vinyl system. Something about analog & vinyl. Just sounds more like music IMO... I think Video games like Gears of War look better on digital displays.. I guess they were made for the digital age, minus my CRT's much greater contrast & black ratio.

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #7 of 9 Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Agree, i haven't seen anything that can beat a CRT at black level yet.

However, what really sucks is that nowadays most content is made with the backlight bleed of LCDs in mind, and with a properly calibrated tube set you lose a lot of shadow detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-26-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post

However, what really sucks is that nowadays most content is made with the backlight bleed of LCDs in mind, and with a properly calibrated tube set you lose a lot of shadow detail.

What the...? Didn't even realize that, but I believe it. How unfortunate. Since they disregard those of us who still use CRT TVs, what about those with plasmas? Or LED-backlit LCDs that are at least a LITTLE better with the static contrast ratios.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P719C1 View Post

Or LED-backlit LCDs that are at least a LITTLE better with the static contrast ratios.

Well, TV is for the masses. If you buy a DVD or bluray, then you get a movie that translates best to high quality screens, because the screens they use in the editing studio are high contrast and have very good black level.

On the other hand TV studios use equipment calibrated to consumer standards because it's the consumer who watches it. Heck, some of the smaller stations here even use consumer grade gear. It's just like radio, where everyone is trying to be the loudest thing on the dial and destroying music in the process. On TV everyone is trying to be the brightest and most vividly colored, with no real regard for correct levels.

Here it's funny and instructive to watch a live broadcast that's transmitted by several stations at once. Most of the time there are really large differences between stations, in both picture and sound. Some will argue that it's about the camera positions, but differences are too large to be that.

I have all my CRT sets set to "one brightness level over pure black" otherwise all shadow tones look wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page