Anyone notice that the longer you leave a CRT on the better the picture quality? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 3 CRTs and I have observed this phenomenon on all three. Try this... turn the TV on and leave in on for a long time (never switch it off even for a second and dont move it). And when I say a long time I mean 5 months straight. I've noticed an increase in sharpness, brighter/cleaner colors and improved black levels after two weeks of the TV running non-stop from cold start up with the picture improving further after 4 weeks. Anyone else notice this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I've never ran anything for 5 straight months. I have noticed different CRTs looking a little fuzzy upon start-up, then the pic gradually but quickly sharpen up.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 06-24-2011, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You're a couple of decades late to observe this. It's called warm up. The CRT is all but dead. I've worked with IBM 3278 and 3279 displays that were never turned off for up to a decade! Some users never even turned them down and had their transaction burned into the screen! You'll probably finally discover next that boards age and eventually fail.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

I've never ran anything for 5 straight months. I have noticed different CRTs looking a little fuzzy upon start-up, then the pic gradually but quickly sharpen up.

I know about the picture looking fuzzy on startup and sharpening up in about 15 minutes, but what I'm talking about here is a dramatic improvement in picture quality even beyond that in weeks of continuous use. If you think your CRT looks good now, run it for 15 days straight (obviously use a screen-saver when not in use). You might be surprised.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The problem is you won't be able to enjoy it for much longer if you do that.

My mom always forgets to put the TV in sleep mode and it stays on all night. This pretty much happened for 10 straight years now. In the past 2 years the tube has been going down. Focus and convergence are off, you need to turn the contrast low to get readable text. I have recalibrated it on a crosshatch pattern but there isn't much that can be done, the blue lines are always wider than the red and green. This is a clear indication of a bad tube. Lately some protection also started to kick in, making the whole picture go blank, then back on, then blank again... and this continued till someone would get annoyed and turn the damn thing off. I managed to fool that protection, but i don't know how much longer it will last. The TV is a 24" Samsung btw, and it's a piece of crap. Based on what's inside, i can hardly believe it made it this long (and it's had issues from day one, such as the picture bending on high contrast, and very large picture size differences between light and dark, due to the undersized power supply). But back then i was a kid, it's my dad who bought it. If it works for one more year i'll be happy.

The problem is that i want to replace it with a big plasma, coz they've gotten so cheap now, with LED screens flooding the markets. But my mom said a bigger screen would give her a headache. And i don't want to buy a supermarket brand CRT which is all you can find nowadays. The Samsung is a piece of crap, but at least it's a piece of crap that is on its 10th year of working 12+ hours a day.

PS. You'll also likely to get board issues before the tube ages. Last year the Samsung also had a capacitor failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.