Windows desktop cropped on max resolution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-25-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to sort out the settings for the following setup.
TV = Sony KV-HX32 model 32"
PC = Asus S1-AT5NM10E
Graphics = Onboard ION2
Driver = Nvidia latest
Connection = PC (VGA) to TV (RGBVH)
System = Windows 7 Home Premium
Software = MediaPortal 1.2.0

I have tried to change the rez using windows, nvidia control panel and power strip all the way to 1920x1080.

According to the manual, the TV will accept up to 1080i over RGBVH.

No matter what I do, I cannot get a proper size desktop. It looks as if 15-20% is cropped off on all sides. This also affects the osd when watching dvb broadcasts (using MediaPortal).

I am not sure if the answer lies in sticking with playing around with desktop resolutions, or trying to do something about the overscan.

Can anyone suggest the right way to tackle this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-25-2011, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use ATI's products but the issue is the same with my DLP which has overscan. So to get the full desktop, I have to adjust the overscan settings in my ATI control panel (Catalyst). In your case, I'm sure Nvidia has a similar control panel and most likely provides a similar option.

Do a little more digging using resources like Google too. I was able to quickly find this which you may find helpful as it seems your TV does have overscan.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll have it figured out soon.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

AY, I did work it out after countless tweakings with Powerstrip. All good now.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-05-2011, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
No left-shift over RGBHV? That was a common problem. Did you manage to find a real VGA to RCA breakout cable or are you using BNC->RCA converter pins?

If your TV has overscan that severely then take a look at the service codes thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=531494
Addressing severe overscan in-TV is better than just accepting a lower resolution on-screen.

Additionally, have you tried 1080i50 as well as 1080i60?
post #5 of 9 Old 07-07-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post

No left-shift over RGBHV? That was a common problem. Did you manage to find a real VGA to RCA breakout cable or are you using BNC->RCA converter pins?

If your TV has overscan that severely then take a look at the service codes thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=531494
Addressing severe overscan in-TV is better than just accepting a lower resolution on-screen.

Additionally, have you tried 1080i50 as well as 1080i60?

Thank-you for the tip. At the moment I am too scared to go down that path but I may be forced to as sometimes the TV refuses to accept the Powerstrip Custom resolution and all I get is the TV showing a blue screen (meaning no input). Why it will accept the custom resolution most of the time, but not all of the time is a mystery to me.

BTW, I had to get the cable with BNC and use adapter plugs for the rca connection.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-07-2011, 04:18 PM

Some video drivers can correct for overscan, meaning they output the video mode normally but downscale the content to the middle 95% portion of the video for example.

VGA to RCA RGBHV breakout cables are very, very rare but there is at least one OEM still making them. I found a 1.8m one for sale online for US$24.

From searching dtvforum.info I found these 720p settings:

Horizontal
Scan Rate: 38.164Mhz
Active Pixels: 1280 Pixels
Front Porch: 451 Pixels
Sync Width: 40 Pixels
Back Porch: 357 Pixels
Total: 2128 Pixels

Vertical

Scan Rate: 50.018Hz
Active Pixels: 720 Pixels
Front Porch: 5 Pixels
Sync Width: 5 Pixels
Back Porch: 33 Pixels
Total: 763 Pixels

1280x720p
HFreq=46kHz Vfreq=60Hz
HFP=60 VFP=20
HSync=40 Vsync=5
HBP=284 VBP=22
+ve pol +ve pol

I've got an HR36 which is,or at least should, be identical to the HX32 except in size and grille pitch. Its overscan isn't as severe as you've experienced but I'll be looking to correct it.

The service manual can be found here
users.tpg.com.au/jbrogan/
The service menu is probably identical to the HXs'. You do need to be careful in there as a large mistake can brick the TV. There is an error in the service manual where it says to press Mute + Jump to save - it should say Mute + 0.

I have found, and I presume the HX is the same, that there is a severe red push on 720p60 and 1080i60 by default. I corrected this by going to the COLOR section and changing the AXIS setting from 3 to 1. Or you could edit the items in Color->Standards *3 AXIS3 to be the same as AXIS1 to make it global to all video modes with AXIS3.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-07-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Homerging, thank-you very much for your detailed post. I will try the suggested settings over the weekend.

Would there be any advantage in me buying the vga-rca cable over the existing vga-bnc/rca setup?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-07-2011, 05:19 PM

I doubt there would be a discernible advantage unless the converter pins are duds.

I forgot to mention that the service menu in the HX/HR isn't quite the same as the ones in the XBR series. The service manual contains an overview.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-13-2011, 12:32 PM

It came to mind that the severe overscan you were experiencing might have been in part because of the VGA settings being sent to the monitor being odd and the edges being cut off in internal processing.

It may be more accurate to correct the TV's own overscan while sending ypbpr from a box other than your computer. FYI, these TVs often have problems with 720p50.

I found the overscan settings in the service menu fairly easy to manage. They are in the DEF1 and DEF2 sections with DEF3 controlling the shutters. In my case I was not able to readily reduce overscan to below 2.5% because of a deflection issue on the right side. Changing HCNT and SLIN were particularly useful as they seemed to be wrong from the factory. Page 55 of the service manual has a section showing what the geometric options do.

One minor issue is that 1080i50, which I used to correct the overscan, has the vertical display area widened a notch compared with other modes, i.e. 1080i60 had the last scanline showing at the top from the same settings which is a cosmetic no-no.

Although the settings I posted above are for 720p you may find 1080i50 resolves more resolution for broadcast television and PAL DVDs, and 1080i60 for most Blu-rays. I think the HX downscales 720p instead of displaying that as a native resolution. Different content will look best on different modes.

If you're using the television's speakers you you might want change some settings in the service menu for their benefit.
In the AP section, set the audio to Dynamic and TruSurround on from the remote then change
BASS from 11 to 12
TREB from 8 to 9
BBEL from 15 to 16 or 17
BBEH from 11 to 15 or 14

By default the Dynamic mode gives really muffled voices and weak base from external sources, so this really improves on that.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page