Loewe Aconda 38" and Prima Chassis - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2002, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If the Loewe Aconda 38" still uses the same chassis as the RCA F38310, will it continue to be produced? RCA reports that it will not have a replacement model in that size, despite its popularity, since the chassis is being discontinued. What company actually made these?

Does Prima still plan to produce a 38" widescreen set? It was not mentioned in the Advent/Jensen press release with the other Prima models that they will be distributing? Was this going to use the same chassis as the Loewe and RCA?

ericlhyman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2002, 05:01 PM
hob

May Sounds & Visions page 45 Al Griffin Senior Reviews Editor and calibrater gives particulars on *new* LOEWE OPTA Aconda.
Price $5,000 has different back inputs than F-38310, for one it has a DB 15 VGA input. There is information I put in other thread, use search to find what you want. :)
Old 04-22-2002, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The Loewe Aconda 38" uses the same tube , but that is essentially where the similarities end. Therein lies the appeal. You get the size provided by only the Thompson tube without actually having to buy an RCA product. The chassis used on the Loewe is the Q2400, a custom design by Loewe and Sensory Science, which is used on all non-legacy Loewe models. In other words, Thompson tube with premium top-of-the-line electronics inside. Of course, the loewes (at least when they were distributed by Sensory Science) have in the past proven to be just about as reliable as RCA, but at least you know you'll get the PQ difference. By the way, I've seen the image the Aconda puts out and it is beyond belief. The Sony I looked at wasn't even in the same league. Hopefully Loewe has gotten its warranty and shipping/damage issues resolved since setting up the Opta American office, because if you can rely on it, the set is really killer. All accounts say that the Aconda 38 will continue to be produced since the bizarre discontinuing of the RCA, but Loewe is supposedly also introducing a new model or two in the not-so-distant future. At this point I can't blame them for not implementing a secure digital connection of some kind. After seeing the announcement of HDVL (or HDVI or whatever the hell it is), I'm beginning to think Hollywood is about to shoot itself in the foot and have to settle for Analog output with some sort of analog copy protection. And we all know how foolproof that tends to be : )

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
Old 04-22-2002, 06:53 PM
hob

That was really informative news to me, it was hard to read because, you didn't break it into paragraphs. That's okay I can break sentences in my mind.:)