My Panasonic CT-34WX54 is wonky - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-29-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So in a bit of a cruel coincidence, just as I was deciding on a new TV, my old one started having problems. It's a 2005 Panasonic CT-34WX54. It occasionally cuts off and won't turn back on. Sometimes when I unplug it and try again it works, and other times it doesn't. When I try to turn it back on, it gives me its usual set of lights and clicks, and then right when I expect to see the screen start to light up, it dies.

Short of shutting down completely, it sometimes flickers and/or goes black but remains powered on, and then a few seconds later the correct picture returns. And often the mute or volume controls don't work properly. The MUTE sign comes onto the screen, but the volume doesn't actually mute. Or if I change the volume, the volume numbers change on the screen but the actual volume on the TV doesn't audibly change. Sometimes the volume change will kick in a few minutes later, well after I've set down the remote, which has fresh batteries. These problems may sometimes precede the unexpected shut-down, but I don't have a large enough sample size to say for sure.

All of this is intermittent. The TV usually works fine for a while before experiencing these problems.

My dilemma now is that I'd like to keep this TV in working order, if it makes sense to do so. I've been very happy with its picture and performance. When the new TV (Panasonic TC-P55ST30) arrives, my plan was to put the CRT in our basement game room, to replace the 1993 JVC 20" set we have down there.

Any idea of what's wrong with this TV? Is it worth taking to a repair shop to see if they can fix it reasonably? Any chance of a DIY repair (I'm reasonably handy with tools and can follow instructions but have essentially zero knowledge of TV innards)?

Or should I just cut my losses and buy a new one for the basement, too?

(I did a search and didn't see anyone with similar problems with this or related models, but if I missed something please feel free to direct me to it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidiver View Post

Any idea of what's wrong with this TV? Is it worth taking to a repair shop to see if they can fix it reasonably? Any chance of a DIY repair (I'm reasonably handy with tools and can follow instructions but have essentially zero knowledge of TV innards)?

Since you say it's intermittent and sometimes it comes up okay, could be bad capacitors or cracked soldering. If you have soldering tools, a cheap multimeter, and know electrical safety rules, you can try a DIY repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Th3. Maybe I'll open it up and take a look. I don't have a multimeter but I could eyeball it.

It has gone from intermittent to constant since yesterday. Whenever I turn it on, it clicks through its cycle and then dies. It then won't even click through the cycle unless I unplug it and then plug it in again.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-03-2011, 09:22 AM

Check solder on the flyback (the big black transformer with the big red wires coming out of it).

DO NOT attempt to remove the red wire from the CRT.

Be careful, very high voltage inside that set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page