Frying the Loewe Board - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-22-2002, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A friend of mine purchased a Loewe Anaconda TV this past year. He has a problem in that his DVD player seems to be frying his component inputs on the TV. He is using an Arcam FMJ DVD23 for his source. He used for a month or so and the board died. After a second board was placed, it died a week later.

The TV guy thinks it is the DVD player while the shop that sold the player has tested it out for any stray voltage and found no problems.

However, they did suggest that he may have a "ground circuit loop" (?) which may not allow any stray voltage throughout his system(surround sound processor, DVD, TV) to leave. Not too sure what it may mean, but I thought I'd ask if there were any opinions out there as to what may be the cause of the problem. His surround sound processor is older and does not have a grounded plug but does have a chassis ground screw. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-23-2002, 12:24 PM

Arcam has a CD23 CD player and a DV27 DVD player. I don't have an answer to your question but I think you meant to say the Arcam FMJ DV27 DVD player.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-23-2002, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I think if he had a ground circuit loop, he would know it because he would have fantastic hum, but maybe not.

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Ground-Loops/

So you need to look into it. The easiest way is by using an extension cord to plug into a different circuit. Or the same circuit if he already on two different ones.

But I suspect that surges are periodically happening in the DVD player.

Intermittent things drive me absolutely crazy. What I would do is to rent or borrow a different DVD player, plug it in and see what happens after a few weeks (and play every DVD he can get his hands on). If nothing bad happens, we know where to point the finger.

That's about all I can suggest. You need to get off-center, off the dime, whatever. Three boards should be screaming something is bad wrong.

I ain't no electrician, but I sure had to learn their job when the dopes around here kept screwing things up. We used to go 'round and 'round, for hours. Things have gotten much better since the State began requiring Continuing Education. I can imagine their faces when they were sitting in class hearing the same things I had been telling them for years.

Now when I tell them I want an isolated circuit and a separate, but bonded ground not hooked into the neutral, they shut up and say "Yes, sir." And if they they think they can fool me, I have a $500 Sure-Shot tester, just to make sure.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page