Best Direct view monitor for the money??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-22-2002, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in deperate need of a larger 2nd TV, I have 35.5 inches to work with horizontally, the height and depth are negligible. I worked out some quick math (pythagoreum theorum (sp?)) and figured I should be able to fit a 40" tube inside my entertainment center with about an inch to spare. This is of course assuming that the unit has no speakers or has speaker BELOW the monitor as opposed to on both sides of the monitor. What would be the best choice for me to satisfy my big screen craving? I'm not a big fan of rear projection (damn the burn-in that my parents put on my 55 inch Mits), so please ...direct view suggestions only :D I thought I saw a 40" Sony HD unit without speakers a few months ago, but cant seem to find it now that its time to buy. heeeeeeeeelp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-23-2002, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been looking into dimensions myself (more ideally for a 27" tube to fit a 29" W opening) and it seems like about 80% of the High Def capable tubes nowadays have about 3-4" wide speakers on each side. I'm guessing part of this is that a "flat screen" tube is actually an inch or two bigger than the viewable area on each side, so the speakers make it look more natural. On the other hand, someone shelling out the dough for a direct view HDTV monitor probably doesn't give a hoot about the built in speakers (at least not the stereo quality that would be minimally improved by putting the speakers on the side instead of below) since they will have a 5.1 DD tuner and more extensive speaker setup attached anyway.

What I have found:
Samsung's and Zeniths are huge -> their 36" 4/3 tube sets are over 40". Their 32" sets are 36" wide as I recall.
The Sony Wega XBR 32" set and the Panasonic Tau 32", as I recall, will just fit 35 1/2 inches.
Even the Princeton Graphics and CTX 36" sets (which are "presentation monitors" and don't have the side speakers) are about 36" wide.

I'd guess you are going to have to be content with a 32" 4/3 display, check out the Sony, Panasonic, and Toshiba's, they may fit.

As far as quality, I don't own any of them yet (still shopping for my first HD set) so I can't comment on that.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page