Streaming Football to an old TV????? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-11-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently streaming Netflix from my PC in my office to my 12 year old Toshiba app. 50' away. I would like to watch live college football this Fall but most of the games are now brooadcast on cable. I have not had cable for 25 years and do not plan to start now but would really like to be able to watch the games from the comfort of my home and avoid the noisy pubs with their overpriced beer.

A gal from BestBuy told me that I could connect a laptop to my HDMI outlet (which my old TV does not have) or run a cable to my office PC and stream that way from some of the websites that sell subscriptions such as ESPN3.

Does anyone know of any options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-12-2011, 07:36 AM

Liked: 11
12 years old? Definitely no HDMI indeed, and almost certainly no DVI input either (DVI wasn't released until 1999).

Best option available is probably S-video. Some computer graphics cards have a S-video output, and your Toshiba TV probably has a S-video input (by the late '90s, most Toshiba TVs had at least one). If so, you're in luck, run a S-video cable from PC to TV, then go into your PC graphics card settings to extend desktop to S-video output and drag the window with the streaming video onto that display.

If your TV doesn't have a S-video input, use a S-video to composite video (RCA) cable or adapter and plug into the yellow composite video input on your TV.

If your PC doesn't have a S-video output, you'll have to get a VGA to S-video transcoder. Cheap ones can be found on eBay for about $20 or $25. DO NOT buy a passive adapter cable like this one; they are cheap (a couple dollars or less) and often have intentionally misleading titles and item descriptions. 99 times out of 100 they won't work; they are only designed for special video cards that can output S-video on the D-sub connector (rare), and even those that do may have different pinouts.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-12-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltoreel View Post

I am currently streaming Netflix from my PC in my office to my 12 year old Toshiba app. 50' away.

I'm confused...
If you already have your PC connected to the TV for streaming Netflix, what else do you need for streaming ESPN3 or any other internet streaming service?
post #4 of 7 Old 08-12-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:

I am currently streaming Netflix from my PC in my office to my 12 year old Toshiba app. 50' away. I would like to watch live college football this Fall but most of the games are now brooadcast on cable. I have not had cable for 25 years and do not plan to start now but would really like to be able to watch the games from the comfort of my home and avoid the noisy pubs with their overpriced beer.

A gal from BestBuy told me that I could connect a laptop to my HDMI outlet (which my old TV does not have) or run a cable to my office PC and stream that way from some of the websites that sell subscriptions such as ESPN3.

Does anyone know of any options?

Streaming can be done on any TV
Which you are already doing if I am reading your post correctly. Use the best cable connection for the best pic. It would help if you provide the model number of your TV. Also take a look in the back for all the various inputs and post.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Model #CZ32T31 Purchased in 2000. It does have an S-Video outlet.

I am streaming Netflix but I was under the assumption that I could only view websites with a more expensive bluray player that had that capability. I purchased my Panasonic #DMP-BD65/655/45 last November for $100.

Onkyo HT-S5100 7.1 Home Theater System

Lynksys E1000 router.

I have wireless internet....Down...4 mpbs
Up......1.8 mpbs

Thanks for all of the suggestions!
post #6 of 7 Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:

Model #CZ32T31 Purchased in 2000. It does have an S-Video outlet.

I am streaming Netflix but I was under the assumption that I could only view websites with a more expensive bluray player that had that capability. I purchased my Panasonic #DMP-BD65/655/45 last November for $100.

Onkyo HT-S5100 7.1 Home Theater System

Lynksys E1000 router.

I have wireless internet....Down...4 mpbs
Up......1.8 mpbs

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I don't think the Blue Ray player has SVideo. You can get a Nintendo Wii with a SVideo cable to get the best resolution your SD TV supports.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-13-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Last November when I set up my streaming, I seem to remember a higher-priced DVD player that allowed one to stream photos from a PC.

I would also like to watch the YouTUbe music videos that I have stored in my Favorites folder. Using my remote to type into the YouTube search on the TV is very time consuming.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page