Windows Tips for PC users - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 04-24-2002, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a cross post from the HTPC group.
It took me a long time to figure them out and I think they will be buried in there.

If you view Windows on a TV or monitor at 800x600 you no doubt have had trouble with some fuzzy text in Windows. Some programs like Calculator are unusable and isn't it hard to see the addresses in your address book?

Here are some tips to help that situation:

I think if you use XP Clear Type Font Smoothing, it helps a lot.

You can also enlarge the default size of the screen font from 96 to 105 or 110 dpi in the video card advanced properties section and that is not just for XP. Don't go crazy in there and make it too big or you can really have trouble with non-resizable windows that some developers love to use.

And you can use the default font and accesability features in IE to override the type face settings (I like Arial Black), and usually tick the boxes "Ignore Font Style sizes on web pages" and "Ignore Font Sizes on web pages" for the idiots who like to use 8pt or "smallest" size on their pages.

Lastly, it doesn't work very well, but you can adjust the Window Appearences to enlarge the fonts or use different fonts, but if you enlarge all the fonts from 96, you usually would not have to do this.

These are good tips not just for folks like us who use TV's and Monitors as our TV, but for anyone that has trouble seeing.

So give them a whirl and see what you think. I'll be watching this thread.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page