RCA F38310 Opinions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-26-2002, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been looking into direct view TV's for my Dad who has been looking for a replacement. He has currently been looking at the Sony 36" FD Trinitron V Vega XBR HDTV, and the Panasonic 36" version in 4:3 format.

At a local store we came across the RCA 38" set and loved the picture. I really respect the opinions of the forum so I was hoping you might shed some light on this directview. We had been searching the forum and it appears that it might be discontinued. Is this true, and if so, will there be a new release?

Thanks,
Neuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-28-2002, 09:04 AM

We've had our 38310 since December and we love it. The picture is excellent, the DTC100 and DirecTV receivers are built in, and the overall ease of use is convenient for the whole family.

It has internal signal routing, so that when you select a source on the remote control, it automatically selects the correct input, like the DVD into the component port. The setup was very easy and the channel search picked up all the digitals in our area.

While it has many inputs, I wish that it had more than one component in. I bought an audio receiver with 3 component inputs so that I could route the PS DVD and the Xbox into component ports. Another thing that I would add is an output port.

Those are the only negatives so far, and considering that we got it for $2100, we are extremely happy with the value that this set delivers. The matching stand is very attractive and has some storage below (though a little more wouldn't hurt).
post #3 of 9 Old 04-28-2002, 10:40 AM
hob

I bought my April 30 2001 unit on June 2nd 2001. Set had been running for 2 weeks at the TV dealer, our family has been doing with business with since 1956. I love it I have viewed over 700 DVDs on it plus 8,960 hours found in the service menu of the set. Digital choice cable with Digital HBO, if you want to record shows with Dolby Stereo Surround take sound from digital converter not from fixed or variable audio output in back of set. When viewing digital 'output' a mono sound only. You can record by Vhs in OAR, if the the TV guide says it's being broadcast that way. I only record late shows to view next day to find out if I want to buy the DVD disc.

To sieve11, you should have consulted us about your desire to put more than one source into single component input. I have a $625 4 to 1 IN3504 InlineInc www.inlineinc.com (don't forget the e) military grade 110V-220V, pass through for 4 component sources 2 of which are already connected. Sony CX860 300 Disc and CX850D 200 disc rather, than pay what you did. If you can send that expensive set back, Inline can sell you a 4 or 6 to 1. Comes as a R,G,B,S computer switching device but add 15 bnc to rca phono 'gold plated' connecters you have a 4 to 1 switching device. I also used our AVS sponsers Silver Serpents from www.bettercables.com Hope this helps. :)
post #4 of 9 Old 04-28-2002, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a great value. I saw it at a local store for $2,180. It is a tempting alternative. You can be that if its replaced the replacement will be a higher price. I would suspect that the price drop is due to a pending replacement.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-29-2002, 09:57 AM

There has been talk of this model being discontinued (they all get discontinued eventually). The official word from RCA is:

Dear Customer:

Thank you for visiting RCA.com.

The F38310 has not been discontinued.

Production and shipping schedules fluctuate due to various factors, so we recommend that you check with your dealer for availability. They have access to Thomson's customer order support desk, and therefore would be in the best position to know when to expect a shipment to their store.

Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
Don

This response is being provided by Thomson multimedia Inc., the manufacturer of RCA consumer electronics products.

to hob: sounds like a great switcher, but I didn't have a 5.1 receiver either, so it was a bonus to get the component inputs that I needed with the receiver. Thanks anyway for the tip. When I find funding for a true Home Theater, I'll keep it in mind.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-29-2002, 11:02 AM
hob

I am glad you like what you paid dearly for. I don't have a 5.1 because we have to keep sounds down here at the old folks apartments. I use a Sennheiser DSP-PRO 5 sounds from headphones with Sony V-6s to have a dolby pro-logic HTRF 2 real ear plus 3 virtual ears first read in 1994 Home Theatre magazine.

I have 12 sets 4 online and 4 ready to go, 4 into theback of the closet. It's nice hearing Dolby surround at 3AM and no one else hears a thing! I also listen to cable movies from www.sectv.com digital choice HBO and Cinimax pay movies, with no commercials and record a movie that's on too late. Decide if I want the DVD, I have 703 in DVD discs now.

I am glad to hear your report, mine came from David Arland rca.com News Release man for www.rca.com :)
post #7 of 9 Old 04-29-2002, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Dave Arland of RCA also told me that this model will no longer be produced because the chassis is being discontinued.

ericlhyman
post #8 of 9 Old 04-29-2002, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

If the set will be discontinued soon, is it something he should buy or be leary of? I would think that there would easily be service parts available, especially since the tube is used in several brands.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-29-2002, 09:24 PM
hob

Quote:
Originally posted by Neuner
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

If the set will be discontinued soon, is it something he should buy or be leary of? I would think that there would easily be service parts available, especially since the tube is used in several brands.
Neuner read my reply to sieve11, it's states I have 12 of the Sennheiser DSP-PRO
which are now out of production. I just bought 4 more sets, there are things built
that are somewhat the same. Take picture tube sets we own a 40 inch rectangle tube with 38 inches of it active in display. My experiences with tube sets has been they keep working for years, and years even if you have to replace your DTC-100 line doubler or the fan that runs 24 hours.

The F-38310 SVM on or off is a mighty good looking set. Delivers a really great picture, while fitting snuggly in your living room, alowing you to view your movies the way you wanted to for years! Sony has touted it's trinatron tube TV sets to be the one and only. So what if it's retangular instead of square the PQ build is still there, only the name is RCA. Comes to what you were given when you turned age 21, your own choice. Choose what you want, you know that no other set in tubes, will be made because of the weight, if nothing else. It comes down to it's your choice to buy it or not!

People still buy leftovers in cars that are 1 year old sitting in car lots. They know that the next year the car will have different styling, but it's basically the same car. People also buy *closeouts* the thing with so many people is that they are now able to afford it and enjoy it now that it's within their reach. Choose to reach for what you want, or hang on to see what comes out next year!:)
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page