34xbr800 and blue-ray question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-17-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If I get a blue-ray player and blue-ray disk,will it display at 1080i or be down-converted . The connection has to be through the sets component inputs. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe all players designed after Jan 2011 can only output 480P from their component outs, so you'd have to find a 2010 model to get 1080i. But even then, the disc could still force the player output 480P using ICS (although I don't know of any discs that are doing that yet).
post #3 of 5 Old 11-19-2011, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
All new models released after 1 Jan 2011 are not allowed to do HD over component. In practice, many 2011 models don't do component at all. It looks like some if not many pre-2011 models had HD over component disabled in software too for no good reason. Many of those pre-2011 BD players that did do HD over component are now being served firmware updates that disable HD over component (they like you to buy new TVs). Finally, if you manage to find one that does do HD over component, new discs released after 1 Jan 2012 may have an ICT flag which means all BD players will disable HD over component no matter what.

There are a couple of options for HDCP-enabled HDMI to component via converters; the ViewHD and the HDFury3. The ViewHD has a flaw which means it supports 1080p without an option to disable, which means some Blu-ray players, allegedly those from Samsung and LG, will force 1080p, which just won't work on a HD CRT TV - you would need a BD player that allows you to force 1080i. I think Panasonic BD players can do that? The HDFury3 is a more expensive converter but allows 1080p to be disabled.

There are multiple revisions of the ViewHD on Amazon. The older ones should not be bought.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1361422

Quote:

If I get a blue-ray player and blue-ray disk,will it display at 1080i or be down-converted . The connection has to be through the sets component inputs. Thanks for any info.

I need to ask, why does it need to be though component? Your model of TV has a DVI input with HDCP support; DVI is just HDMI without sound, and you can convert from HDMI to DVI with a cheap mechanical converter.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-19-2011, 03:08 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post

I need to ask, why does it need to be though component? Your model of TV has a DVI input with HDCP support; DVI is just HDMI without sound, and you can convert from HDMI to DVI with a cheap mechanical converter.

^This is exactly what I do on my 34XBR800. Picked up a cheap HDMI -> DVI adapter at Walmart and never had an issue with it on my HDMI DVD player. There are also HDMI -> DVI cables that may cost a bit more.

If the DVI input is already in use by another device, another option might be an HDMI (or DVI?) switcher.

ADU
post #5 of 5 Old 11-21-2011, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah.. the DA4 chassis in the XBR's have either a DVi or a HDMI input which is fully HDCP compliant. I used the board itself to make my own HDMI to component converter and it works great... only problem is 1080p... Thanks for the link on the ViewHD cause it will permit me to watch Blu-rays in 1080p with component without conversion of any kind and it even has two inputs for HDMI. (and much less costly than the HDFury, which i don't see the need for unless i want to go 3D at 720 @ 120hz.)

The DA4 chassis's UV board has a very good HDCP converter if u lock your blu-ray in 1080i for the HDMI output. (It's actually a HDMI/DVI to component converter)
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page