Sony 36" Trinitron colors weird using HD Sources - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 12-12-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a KV-36HS500.

Colors are dark and way off when using any of the HD sources. The DVI input or component inputs. Same problem whether this is dvd player, xbox or my Direct TV receiver.

I can change the settings in my xbox, dvd play, etc to use interlaced mode (from progressive scan) and the picture is all fine when using the same dvi or component inputs. Anything using progressive scan has this issue. 480i sources are ok, but 480p or 720p has this issue. I can watch a HD broadcast on Direct TV receiver using 480i and looks great. Press the resolution button to switch to 480p or higher and picture is visible, but colors are dark and screwy.

I had the blinking light power problem couple years ago and replaced the D-board, but this problem existed before that and still does after d-board.

Is there some calibration that can be changed to fix the colors or is this some other circuit board or part that is bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-12-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxyung View Post

This is a KV-36HS500.

Colors are dark and way off when using any of the HD sources. The DVI input or component inputs. Same problem whether this is dvd player, xbox or my Direct TV receiver.

I can change the settings in my xbox, dvd play, etc to use interlaced mode (from progressive scan) and the picture is all fine when using the same dvi or component inputs. Anything using progressive scan has this issue. 480i sources are ok, but 480p or 720p has this issue. I can watch a HD broadcast on Direct TV receiver using 480i and looks great. Press the resolution button to switch to 480p or higher and picture is visible, but colors are dark and screwy.

I had the blinking light power problem couple years ago and replaced the D-board, but this problem existed before that and still does after d-board.

Is there some calibration that can be changed to fix the colors or is this some other circuit board or part that is bad?

Check for a setting some place called color spacing and make sure the TV and source both match.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-12-2011, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Does it look ok if you send it 1080i?
post #4 of 21 Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

I dont see any settings in the menu for "color spacing" Is that in the service menu?

Also, 1080i looks the same as the progressive scan settings; dont know why 480i is ok, but 1080i is not.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-13-2011, 11:22 AM

Liked: 11
Does the problem not occur in S-video/Composite and RF? Very special problem you have.. maybe the MID or the DRC circuit has a problem (B Board on your TV) and the color signal is lost...

Can't say really...
post #6 of 21 Old 10-05-2012, 04:18 PM

I have the same problem with both my trinititrons I have a 35" widescreen trinitron, HD was never used until now, When I go to the menu of the TV it says 1080i and when I insert True crime streets of LA to my xbox the tv detects 720p but the colors are way off. This happens to both my trinitrons. Its not the cords or my xbox since it works fine on my LCD. Does anyone know hoe to fix this?

It is a eh36m31
post #7 of 21 Old 10-06-2012, 01:34 AM

The KV-EH36M31 is a very rare 36" tube high scan model from 2001. Do you really own two of them?

Could you describe what you mean by way off or post a picture? Are you sure the component cables are being plugged in correctly? Because if not it'll cause the colours to be off.

Can you make your XBox output 1080i? I don't think that TV will handle 720p natively so it might be a problem specifically to that screen mode. Also try 480p and see what happens.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-06-2012, 02:43 AM

Ok I will post a picture up within the next few hours as soon as I can. The TV can output up to 1080i. The other trinitron is a smaller one but also HD. 480p same thing happends, even 480i but when i use other ports and it works. It is way darker than normal too. The xbox can output 1080i without modification, but only the ntsc version and not many games supported HD, most only 480p. Matrix supported 1080i. Not bad for 2001 hardware.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

post #9 of 21 Old 10-06-2012, 06:19 AM

What is the other model?

So it only happens with component, and at any resolution?

Have you tried plugging in a different device through component like a DVD player or another XBox?

The successor model to the EH36, the HR36, has an active contrast enhancement "feature" enabled by default that can crush blacks badly. If the EH36 does the same thing that might account for some of the darkness. Fortunately it can be turned off.

I know with the HR36 the colours are by default handled very differently on 60Hz modes compared with 50Hz modes, i.e. the red push was much worse. Afaik the XBox only outputs 60Hz whereas TV and PAL DVDs in Australia are 50Hz.
post #10 of 21 Old 10-06-2012, 07:09 AM

The other is a xj29m31 and it only happens in compodent and at any resolution other than 480i. I just tried it on the xj29m31 and it just has a blue screen flickering and i can hear audio and for a few milliseconds see the game. I tried the 36" inch with my xbox 360 and the same thing happends but for some reason it detects the xbox and its games as 480p/60. What I noticed is that when i have no input into the TV it goes to 1080i/50hz by default.

This is meant to be sleeping dogs, don't know why it detects it as 480p. Its meant to be a red menu.

post #11 of 21 Old 10-07-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
first off you need ot learn how to take a screen capture so we ca nsee what's going on. Turn the flash off, turn room lights off, set camera to maximum shutter speed or "TV Mode" to eliminate the beam sweep bar.

Did you try the Xbox instructions for troubleshooting "colors off"? it say's many automatic contarst adjustment modes in the TV can cause problems.
so, Turn off the AI -artifical intelligence =Automatic Optimization of contrast levels according to TV signal
Also, noise detection off,
What's DRV-MF, the manual mentions it but doesn't really tell you what it does
if the TV is native PAL, is the Xbox also a PAL unit or is it NTSC?

Finally, it looks like that TV can accept both component video YPbPr as well as RGBHV, with seperate vertical and horizontal synch, thorugh the same ports with an "auto detect" . IT's possible that this circuit is being confused by the signal from the Xbox,

last but not least, print out the owners manual

http://support.sony-asia.com.edgesuite.net/consumer/IM/420629212x.pdf

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #12 of 21 Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM

The xbox is a pal modded to NTSC so it can output HD, since they are identical it does not matter, I had a look at the manual already before. The TV was bought in Australia, when theres nothing on the TV the menu says its detects 1080i/50, when the xbox turns on it switches to 1080i/60, the xbox is now ntsc, but my xbox 360 is pal and the same thing happens. heres another shot with the flash turned off.

post #13 of 21 Old 10-08-2012, 02:29 AM

The colours really look like what happens with YPbPr when a couple of the wires are swapped around or the TV's "hue" setting is wrong.

So the colour is bad for all resolutions on the EH36 through component from the XBox. But 480i works ok with component from the XBox on the XJ29 but other resolutions do not?
Quote:
Afaik the XBox only outputs 60Hz whereas TV and PAL DVDs in Australia are 50Hz.
Sorry I was thinking of a newer console.
Quote:
Finally, it looks like that TV can accept both component video YPbPr as well as RGBHV, with seperate vertical and horizontal synch, thorugh the same ports with an "auto detect" .
Are you sure about that? I don't see the additional two inputs needed for RGBHV in the manual. There are L/R audio-in jacks there.

The manual says it supports 50 and 60Hz inputs.

Gosh, the EH36 has 100watts of speakers.
post #14 of 21 Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by superslav View Post

The xbox is a pal modded to NTSC so it can output HD, since they are identical it does not matter, I had a look at the manual already before.
ok, did you try turning off AI? The xbox specifically says to turn automatic contrast features off

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/settings-and-initial-setup/image-on-your-tv-is-unclear
Quote:
Check your TV settings

Some display issues can be caused by the way the TV is set up. To confirm that this is not the case, please check your TV's settings. For more information about how to check your TV's settings, see the owner’s manual.

In your TV's settings:

Make sure that your TV is set to the same video broadcast system (PAL or NTSC) as your Xbox 360 console. For example, if your Xbox 360 console was purchased in the United States, make sure that your TV supports NTSC.
If your Xbox 360 console is a PAL console, set your TV to PAL 60.

If your TV has a type of picture/motion compensation enabled, disable it. Examples of compensation types include the following:
Dynamic contrast
Automatic compensation
Contrast detection
Light detector
Motion detection
Motion interpolation
Motion smoothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post

Are you sure about that? I don't see the additional two inputs needed for RGBHV in the manual. There are L/R audio-in jacks there..
not sure, the article was talking about the HR model so the this one probably does not.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #15 of 21 Old 10-08-2012, 05:34 PM

Ut lets me turn off AIF, which I did and it does nothing, I cannot change noise detection off since it doesnt let me for some reason it just skips to the colour tone option. And 480i does work on component fine. Do you want me to take a photo of the back of the TV?
post #16 of 21 Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 AM

Weirdly, the HR36 seems to use a separate and inferior scaler for 480i / 576i so it's possible these two models do the same thing which may have something to do with why SD works and 480p / HD gives wrong colours.

It's possible both TVs both have bad service menu settings, but that is unlikely and it would be easy to confirm that as false by having another device send them YPbPr video signals other than standard definition. I recommend you test that out with a device such as a Blu-ray player or DVD player set to 576p.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 PM

That could be a problem since I do not own a HD, DVD player or blu ray player.
post #18 of 21 Old 11-01-2012, 06:44 PM

Something odd, I went to the xbox's game manager and its displaying 480p fine, but in the main menu its not, look at the pics below, its strange.

v6p7p1.jpg

1ixs49.jpg
post #19 of 21 Old 11-01-2012, 06:44 PM

Something odd, I went to the xbox's game manager and its displaying 480p fine, but in the main menu its not, look at the pics below, its strange.

v6p7p1.jpg

1ixs49.jpg
post #20 of 21 Old 11-01-2012, 06:45 PM

v6p7p1.jpg

1ixs49.jpg
post #21 of 21 Old 11-03-2012, 01:12 AM

Maybe the problem is the XBox and not the TV? Perhaps you have a friend who could plug theirs in and see what happens.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page